DIY B8 Wireless Charger

AndrewW

Reaction score
So since I have fitted wireless CarPlay I thought it would be a good idea to also have some form of wireless charging. There's nothing really out there that I could buy so thought I'd have a go at doing it myself, as there is a 12V socket under the armrest I went for that location.

I got an armrest cubby-hole tray from Amazon (£13) and a 10W wireless charge module from eBay (£4)

Items to start with:

IMG 2596

Then filed a couple of grooves for the wires and combined the two:

IMG 2599
IMG 2602

(Excuse the excess glue, needed it to be raised slightly so the micro USB cable still inserted freely.

And the finished article:

IMG 2603
IMG 0014

Phone is an iPhone XR and very close to the limit of what the tray will fit

Reactions: audiwaterpump, EXSpartan36, CHEZ and 6 others
So since I have fitted wireless CarPlay I thought it would be a good idea to also have some form of wireless charging. There's nothing really out there that I could buy so thought I'd have a go at doing it myself, as there is a 12V socket under the armrest I went for that location.

I got an armrest cubby-hole tray from Amazon (£13) and a 10W wireless charge module from eBay (£4)

Items to start with:

View attachment 191796

View attachment 191797 View attachment 191798

(Excuse the excess glue, needed it to be raised slightly so the micro USB cable still inserted freely.

View attachment 191801 View attachment 191802

Brilliant effort mate. You taking any orders

Reactions: AndrewW and jdp1962
You got the link for the 10w wireless charger module?

Easy and a good DIY!

Reactions: AndrewW
You got the link for the 10w wireless charger module?

Easy and a good DIY!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/264400145632

I ordered the above, i’m only using a standard 12v -> 5v 2A cigarette lighter adapter so it won’t be working at full speed but is still pretty effective, usually gain about 20% battery On my 25-30 minute commute to while using wireless CarPlay.

For anyone wanting to do the same it’s an extremely quick and and easy job.

Reactions: NikNefedov and V6_Man
Did the same but first replaced all 12v outlets with dual USBs hooked to dual QC3.0 adapters themselves plugged into the original cigarette lighter/12v plugs... et voila!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Items to start with:

View attachment 191796

Great little mod.

Question, are you confident that the heat created whilst charging will not cause any issues with the glue melting?

Great little mod.

Question, are you confident that the heat created whilst charging will not cause any issues with the glue melting?

Good question and not something I’ve given much thought to.

The only thing that I can say on that is that immediately after glueing it triggered the over-heat protection on the charger and just flashed the LED instead of charging, until it had a little time to cool down, so I’d like to think that normal operation wouldn’t get anywhere near that hot and therefore should be fine. I guess time will tell.

love the name by the way

Nice work! (what lead is that going from the device to the cigarette socket please?) USB to Mini, or USB to micro USB etc?

Nice work! (what lead is that going from the device to the cigarette socket please?) USB to Mini, or USB to micro USB etc?
It’s a standard 30cm USB-A to micro-usb cable plugged into a cigarette lighter USB adapter.

Reactions: MattS5
Very impressed with this, I based my efforts on the same cubby hole from aliexpress, but instead used a 15w Letscom charger.
Used a dremmel to cut out various parts of the cubby hole to allow the charger to fit, and this means I am still able to see the LED status light.
The cutouts also meant that the vents are free on the charger, so should help with cooling.
Also purchased a QC cigar lighter so should get full speed charging.
I’ll give it a full test over the coming days and report back if there are any issues.

Attachments

• 01D47C28-58B9-43E4-9E3D-283A8AB46ADB.jpeg
    01D47C28-58B9-43E4-9E3D-283A8AB46ADB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 482
  • 79EB55C1-7088-42CA-82C2-834A7BCC4B72.jpeg
    79EB55C1-7088-42CA-82C2-834A7BCC4B72.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 798
  • 3A29AB94-C12F-40CB-9D92-B3A1247354B0.jpeg
    3A29AB94-C12F-40CB-9D92-B3A1247354B0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 488
  • ACFA38E3-FA92-49A7-A243-89130A3B9651.jpeg
    ACFA38E3-FA92-49A7-A243-89130A3B9651.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Reactions: Rossimac

Items to start with:

View attachment 191796

Can I just ask… what was the running temp of the coil? Obviously must be ok to install, just wondering about fire hazard as I’m an electrician and effectively anything taking electricity has heat develop… was gonna plug it into house first on worktop to see how hot it gets… just don’t want car going up … I’ve ordered all kit and it is an amazing idea. What’s it like for phone sliding because my wireless charger on bed side isn’t the best… it has to be directly on the battery to start charging?

hope to hear back

Really like this idea, one question though, where do you get the plastic tray to go in the centre armrest - does anyone have a link? Tried searching, but can't find it anywhere, must be searching for the wrong thing!

Items to start with:

View attachment 191796

Sorry to resurrect this thread but quick question, How are you powering it? my accessory port is directly behind where the coin holder is in your new armrest tray, are you hard wiring it into that feed or plugging it in somewhere else?

Thanks

The easiest and safest way of tapping into a power source is via the fuse box. Find an ignition live fuse and go from there using the appropriate tap.