1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

DIY: A3 8P reverse mirror dip mod

maccalo Nov 24, 2018

1. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutch Retrofitfanatic

That makes sense, didn't thought of that.
    Just spoke to Troubs12 as he told me folding mirrors need a folding motor in their base, so I'll stick with this mirrordip mod for now.

I know about the folding, @Troubs12 did this mod on his A3 8P1 :)

Mirror adjustment motor: 8T0959578A (1x)
    Module (with motor): 8P0959802J, M or P (2x) (two because of the folding mirror mod doing later on)
    Terminals for the wires: 000979009E (or the connector @Troubs12 linked above me :) )

That's all? seems like a very reasonable mod that will be used everyday.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

So far I’ve got 3 different ways of getting them to fold on lock I’m putting a guide together at the minute. But i think there’s a 4th way where you get the door control unit flashed which would be easier but I don’t know how much I’d trust it.

The way I’m currently using uses about 4-5 relays but gives me fold and unfold on lock and the use of the fold in switch on the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MT-V6

MT-V6 Registered User

Sounds good, I've seen the 361 relay method but my car doesn't give a proper earth on door lock pin 3...the mirror folds in and out repeatedly, and also folds when the car is locked from the interior button

Are you using this pin?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. DjDvr

DjDvr Registered User

Yes , it's a 2 minute job with VCP on all gen 3 modules. but we can take this in private to not spam this post.

6. henkkeumus

I'd think spamming this post is better since more people are interested in doing this mod. Get all info together :)

7. DjDvr

DjDvr Registered User

There is a separate topic with the mirror fold :) , how about keeping this for the mirror dip mod and the mirror fold one for the mirror fold ...

henkkeumus likes this.
  8. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

Yeah I had to wire in a relay to cut the power to the 361 relay when the ignition is on so I could lock the vehicle while driving or just ignition on and that sorted it. I’ve recently dig out the crude wiring diagram I made for a friend recently as he’s looking into it.

There is a topic on this on here about folding but this is the diagram in case you guys can’t find it. [​IMG]

9. henkkeumus

10. henkkeumus

But then the question raises, do I need the one with ''A" or "B"? Think I need A but I'm not sure though. Looking at the number 8T0959578A in this manual it also has that piece going up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  11. henkkeumus

Inspecting the one the author uses in the opening post I've ordered the 'A' one.

Audi dealership came back to me with a price of €112,50..... Inhuman prices.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 with Tapatalk

samisnake likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. George Kost

George Kost Registered User

You also need a connector with 8 pins for the motor.
    You can use this if I am not mistaken to go as oem as possible:
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWFvIdJ

14. henkkeumus

Ordered 2, just in case :D

15. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

That’s the connector that was on the loom I took off a Mk5 golf. Too be fair I took pics for the pin assignment but couldn’t see a “normal” part number on it just the AMP number. Though I know BMW use the same plug along with other brands

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

henkkeumus likes this.
  16. MT-V6

MT-V6 Registered User

Just wondering if anyone has tried it on the drivers door too? If it would dip the mirror when the mirror switch is turned to the driver side, when in reverse

17. henkkeumus

Why wouldnt it work? LHD and RHD so it has to work on both sides

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

18. MT-V6

MT-V6 Registered User

I wasn't sure if only the passenger door module was listening to the reverse gear signal

19. henkkeumus

Fair point. But both modules are can connected so I guess they both know when. Same for the lock signal, the folding mirrors lock because CAN tells them to sleep/fold I think.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

20. henkkeumus

Have not yet did everything but had VCDS running so I wanted to check if coding would work on my A3 8P 2011.
    I tried accessing the module 46 Central Conv. but I coulnd't access it. It keeps blank and then throws an error about not reaching it, any ideas?

I think it's due to the fact I have a new BCM and the comfort module is integrated into the Cent. electrics, right? If so, does it need some additional coding in there that I should know of? Didn't yet run through all options to see if there was something similar though.

21. MT-V6

MT-V6 Registered User

I think in the facelift 09, it is byte 4, bit 3 "mirror lowering when in reverse gear", but I'm not completely sure. Just look through all the options for something along those lines

22. ch1z64

ch1z64 C'mon you's bhoy's in Green Silver Supporter VCDS Map User

Try 09 module

23. henkkeumus

[​IMG]
    :)

George Kost and ch1z64 like this.