Diverter valve

Stewart Handford

Reaction score
Hey guys....couple of weeks ago I had strange noise when changing gear, like a flutter noise which I know possibly means diverter valve might be gone....the sound then went next time I drove the car, when I do change gear now though sound like air is coming through air vents but this is very slight....any ideas, my car is an s3 8p and has revo stage 1 done.

There is no harm in checking it. I prefer to take the engine cover off for total ease of access. Google how to get the cover off if you haven’t done it before and warm up the engine to soften the rubbers.
The preferred version to ensure no boost leaks in rev G but the diaphragm can split eventually.
The preferred upgrade is a GFB DV+ but they cost 2x as much

Thanks for replying....I have heard of that upgrade I might just do that anyway as it seems very popular.....is it any harder to fit for the mechanic?

No harder to fit just need a hex bit to fit a GFB rather than the torx bit for the oem part. Read the instructions carefully as you need to lubricate the brass piston

Go to youtube and type in ( fitting GFB+ audi a3 ) and there will be heaps off videos on how to make up and i would think fit , it is rather simple and you will kick yourself after fitting .

There is no harm in checking it. I prefer to take the engine cover off for total ease of access. Google how to get the cover off if you haven’t done it before and warm up the engine to soften the rubbers.
The preferred version to ensure no boost leaks in rev G but the diaphragm can split eventually.

Maybe a daft question but if when fitting a GFB DV+ would you still need to replace the standard part if it was split or not?

Engine cover off to access the diverter valve? I thougt that the only way to get to diverter valve is to get underneath the car unless you relocated it!?

Maybe a daft question but if when fitting a GFB DV+ would you still need to replace the standard part if it was split or not?

When you fit the DV+, the part that can split is discarded. You only retain the black solenoid that connects into the car’s wiring. Any revision of the oem valve will work as the solenoids are all the same.

Engine cover off to access the diverter valve? I thougt that the only way to get to diverter valve is to get underneath the car unless you relocated it!?

If you have a K03 turbo where the diverter valve is on the turbo you are correct. However the OP has an S3 which has a K04 turbo. With the K04 the diverter valve is at the front of the engine. This makes the job easier than getting on the floor and accessing through the drivers side wheel arch. I still like to takes the engine cover off for ease of access on the S3 or TTS

When you fit the DV+, the part that can split is discarded. You only retain the black solenoid that connects into the car’s wiring. Any revision of the oem valve will work as the solenoids are all the same.

If you have a K03 turbo where the diverter valve is on the turbo you are correct. However the OP has an S3 which has a K04 turbo. With the K04 the diverter valve is at the front of the engine. This makes the job easier than getting on the floor and accessing through the drivers side wheel arch. I still like to takes the engine cover off for ease of access on the S3 or TTS
Oops! I was so sure he is asking about a3 8p