Diverter Valve testing

Perplexer

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been researching the S3 PCV system (BAM engine) as I am trying to fix a whooshing sound when the turbo spools.

So far I have repaired 2 split hoses under the inlet manifold, but it still makes the sound. I'm in the process of checking all hoses, TIP etc. and found the PCV valve near the block to not quite close fully when testing (new one on the way).

My question is around the diverter valve. I decided to test the DV as I am checking all hoses. According to some guides, to test the DV carefully push the internal piston and put your finger over the top pipe fitting - if it holds (and mine does) then the DV is ok. But to push the piston up takes quite a lot of effort as its quite stiff.

Is this normal for the DV to be hard to push the piston? I use a socket on an extension. Thanks

Sure, but this is new and it didn't sound like this before. It was off the road and garaged for a couple of months. Once put back on the road it had developed this extra noise.

Its hard to describe other than like using a high pressure airline into a metal bucket?