Discount on used S3 from Audi - Any hints or tips?

Lovepug13

Reaction score
Hi,

In light of the current financial climate and the fact that new A3 is imminent, financial quarter coming to end fairly soon, RS3 selling strong and along with masses of ex-demo / pre reg stuff around in the Audi system...what's my likelihood of securing a decent discount on a used S3 at the moment?

Also has anyone got any indicative percentages or amounts they have negotiated from the price of the car. I have 28k to spend.

I can buy a 3 door, solid colour, bog standard S3 brand new for 28k from broker4cars and that is all my budget...does anyone have any experience of using these as a negotiation point? I really want a sportback with S-tonic and Nav though lol.

I haven't purchased a car for years and would love some feedback / advice to maximise my money.

Thanks.

Adam

I've just taken back a lemon A3 (it was 8 months old, been in about once a month for various things), and got sold an S3 Black edition, ex Audi car in some way, SatNav, full leather, 3Dr late 2010 500mls for just under 27k. Seems like a fairly good benchmark. Not sure if pricing was influenced by me being livid about loosing 5k on a lemon in 8 months.

Last edited:
Thanks.....I think the price is good, however i am keen for the S-tronic box and Sportback.

Can I ask bdavbdav is the black edition worth the extra pennys? Also is the Nav any good?

Sorry yes it does indeed have S-tronic too - wouldn't have one without it now!

Not sure how much difference the black ed makes on the s3 - on the a3 it added tints which I like with the pearl black, nice wheels (the old a3 double spoke ones were nicer, but oh well!) xenons and led drl, bose, piano black inside. Personally I really like it, but not to everyone's taste!

Sat nav is great - love the display in the cluster, and AMI for iPod works great on it. Also I always thought the concert radios looked a bit cheap.

If 28k is your absolute limit, then I would be looking at cars priced at £29-£30k with all the options you want, and haggle the dealers down - no point spending all that money and then regretting not getting one with certain options later... It may depend on which Audi dealer you go to though - when I went to buy mine (brand new), Oxford Audi weren't interested in giving discounts for 'S' models, but Stratford Audi were much more approachable and I got them to match the 9% discount that I could have got through a broker. Be prepared to walk out if you don't get the discount you want is all I'd say :cool:

Ok thanks....so you think that i will be able to match online broker prices at my local dealership? Thats crazy money - I like the advice sparky, thanks :)

The sales guys are often on a fixed rate of commission and so that obviously doesn't change regardless of what they let the cars go for. So where there is no movement to be had on the price - there isn't much to pass on to the customer....Apparently.

If you start racking up the options and throw buckets into the mix (for e.g.) your not going to be able to bid them down so much as those cars demand a premium.

Seems like your budget has it covered anyway though so happy days!

Well if you go in armed with the figures then it will help justify the reasons why you should get a discount... Yeah I was a bit surprised that the dealers matched the online broker price, but yeah there's other factors that probably influence the outcome such as whether the salesmen have met their targets or not...

Anyhow good luck on your search! :)

If 28k is your absolute limit, then I would be looking at cars priced at £29-£30k with all the options you want, and haggle the dealers down - no point spending all that money and then regretting not getting one with certain options later... It may depend on which Audi dealer you go to though - when I went to buy mine (brand new), Oxford Audi weren't interested in giving discounts for 'S' models, but Stratford Audi were much more approachable and I got them to match the 9% discount that I could have got through a broker. Be prepared to walk out if you don't get the discount you want is all I'd say :cool:

Ive bought 2 cars new cars from stratford audi, they seem to give good discounts if you have no px and you are no nonsense (beating broker prices), they are part of listers so should have access to a decent stock size, give them a ring

Cool hursty....will do. (I am about to go to Florida for a bit so most likely will buy when I get back now)

A supreme example of buying what to many is an oddball colour and depreciation falling through the floor. If you want such colours badly enough expect to lose out when it comes to selling. Would suggest that yellow is fine on whimsical little cars such as the Mini or VW Beetle cabriolet but how many Mercedes, Bentleys, Jaguars etc do you see in such colours. Even a yellow Boxster looks immature and unworthy of the brand.

I want a sliver, black or dark grey to be honest....I dont like the orange and yellow's. I work in an environment where a flashy "bright" car does not go down well lol.

Thanks for the advice Wafter :) - Now I know why the Solar Orange goes cheaper than others lol

Have recently purchased a 2009 S-Line cab. having trawled the dealer network for several months and made numerous visits to showrooms.
The attitude I perceived, delivered in a most gentlemanly fashion, was that this is the price, we have no trouble making sales and a little bit of discount might be available. Buy comparison BMW dealer staff (A 1 Series Cab. was also being considered ) were breathtakingly arrogant in expressing the same view.
I was very exacting in the specification and condition I was seeking so getting the right car was the priority. As it was I only got a years tax and private number plate cost thrown in, but a VERY good p/ex on a mint Honda S2000. After sales service has been supreme though with agreement to supply new tyre as one of the front was a different spec. to the other.
Sometimes quality service is remembered long after price is forgotten, proved by the fact that i would have to check my files to find out exactly what I paid. By the way the Audi is in Pearl Black so come re-sale time no way am I going to lose out because of a daft colour.

I just got mine and got just over 9% off at that time with a part exchange (rubbish offer) for my Subaru. As it happens I sold that private so an all cash deal. I wanted more off but didn't feel it was coming and I wanted the car at that price anyway. Bear in mind though that the one I bought was in the showroom ready with the mods I wanted already on it. S3 SB BE S-tronic. EDIT - The price I got was cheaper than any internet site as well.

Last edited:
Thanks mate..9% is pretty impressive. I have no PX so should all be good :)