Discount on Nearly New A3

Statiker

Reaction score
Was about to order a new A3 Sportback when the dealer phoned to say the order book was closed but he had a 6 month old ex demo car for sale which was close to my spec. I went and had a look and was interested but after having offered a 10% discount on my new order he refused any discount of the £21950 price on the demo car! I walked away. Out of interest I had a look to see if any other Audi dealers in my region had nearly new A3s available and I spotted an A3 Saloon, 6 months old, 5k miles at a similar price. I went and had a look and again said I was interested if the price was right but the dealer would only offer £250 discount off the price. I walked away again.
Am I wrong in expecting more of a discount on a used car? For used cars at this price I was hoping for about 5% discount if they are prepared to give 10% on new.

I would imagine they have a much greater margin to play with on a new car. Once its originally purchased it immediately looses a chunk of its value. When they take a car in part ex they add a small mark up and resell. This mark up is probably 5-10% as it is.

Small mark up???

Its always at least £2k normally £3-4k!!!!

Robbing barstewards.

As with the OP, If I was buying a £23k car and they offered £250 discount, I would just kaugh at them and walk away.
I wouldnt even talk at anything less than £750 off...

Reactions: mister.c., veeeight and Scottyg
Audi have a really bad habit of up pricing nearly new. More than other manufacturers if you have a look around. Unfortunately Audi need to realise that if they mass produce cars (which they now do) they need to price accordingly. Will it happen? Nope!

Reactions: veeeight and Kugaman1
How much was the ex-demo car new? Take 10% off that price and that will give you an idea on how much you are saving buying it used as opposed to new.
e.g. new full price £26,000 - 10% discount = £23,400 - demo used price £21,950 = you would only be saving £1,450 buying a used one that everyone has red lined since day one.

When they take a car in part ex they add a small mark up and resell. This mark up is probably 5-10% as it is.
Audi finance guy told me they look at adding on £2-3k on each car.

yeah ok, my idea was right if the margins a little out. Anyways if you want to haggle, buy new.

Simple , don't touch a demo. They will have been thrashed in the most delicate years. Audi are not the only ones that seem to up price demo's . I found toyota the same. That said i got a great deal on a VW Up pre reg . 6 miles on clock 25% off list.

MG3 , the skateboard will be worth more in a year !

Reactions: Gazjs