Discount on Nearly New A3

1.6tdi

Was about to order a new A3 Sportback when the dealer phoned to say the order book was closed but he had a 6 month old ex demo car for sale which was close to my spec. I went and had a look and was interested but after having offered a 10% discount on my new order he refused any discount of the £21950 price on the demo car! I walked away. Out of interest I had a look to see if any other Audi dealers in my region had nearly new A3s available and I spotted an A3 Saloon, 6 months old, 5k miles at a similar price. I went and had a look and again said I was interested if the price was right but the dealer would only offer £250 discount off the price. I walked away again.
Am I wrong in expecting more of a discount on a used car? For used cars at this price I was hoping for about 5% discount if they are prepared to give 10% on new.

S

Simonb1975

I would imagine they have a much greater margin to play with on a new car. Once its originally purchased it immediately looses a chunk of its value. When they take a car in part ex they add a small mark up and resell. This mark up is probably 5-10% as it is.

Kugaman1

Small mark up???

Its always at least £2k normally £3-4k!!!!

Robbing barstewards.

As with the OP, If I was buying a £23k car and they offered £250 discount, I would just kaugh at them and walk away.
I wouldnt even talk at anything less than £750 off...

Scottyg

Audi have a really bad habit of up pricing nearly new. More than other manufacturers if you have a look around. Unfortunately Audi need to realise that if they mass produce cars (which they now do) they need to price accordingly. Will it happen? Nope!

S32B

How much was the ex-demo car new? Take 10% off that price and that will give you an idea on how much you are saving buying it used as opposed to new.
e.g. new full price £26,000 - 10% discount = £23,400 - demo used price £21,950 = you would only be saving £1,450 buying a used one that everyone has red lined since day one.

When they take a car in part ex they add a small mark up and resell. This mark up is probably 5-10% as it is.
Audi finance guy told me they look at adding on £2-3k on each car.

S

Simonb1975

yeah ok, my idea was right if the margins a little out. Anyways if you want to haggle, buy new.

musicegbdf

Simple , don't touch a demo. They will have been thrashed in the most delicate years. Audi are not the only ones that seem to up price demo's . I found toyota the same. That said i got a great deal on a VW Up pre reg . 6 miles on clock 25% off list.