Disconnecting diverter valve

StevomcS3

Reaction score
Quick question, way back in the day I had a Tommi Mac evo which basicly had the diverter valve bunged causing the wastegate chatter to come back through the intake pipe. It sounded awesome and did for years without causing any problems. I tried unplugging diverter valve on s3 and again its sounds quality, very suttle but still good.
Can this cause any problems to engine? Cheers

I struggle to see a single positive thing from preventing an ECU from venting excess boost pressure. I suspect that someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Without modification overboost has the "potential" to kill engines - excessive pressure from the turbo -> excessive pressure in the cylinder -> conrod/piston take the pain. That said, I don't know the figures for over boost on a vanilla setup with the waste gate capped.

I think it does log a fault but doesn't bring on eng management light. I ran it for years on evo with 370hp with no problems and at the time my tuner said it was fine? I think if u heard it you would find a positive gain

i thought the diverter valve put the wastegate air back into the intake anyway? hence the reason you can't have a dump valve without confusing the MAF calcs?

soon as i fitted a CAI i could hear turbo chatter when changing gear at certain revs anyway

I think it does log a fault but doesn't bring on eng management light. I ran it for years on evo with 370hp with no problems and at the time my tuner said it was fine? I think if u heard it you would find a positive gain

The S3 uses a mass air flow sensor to measure air mass.
The DV vents air that has already been entered into that calculation back into the intake after the MAF on throttle closure.

If you vent it to atmosphere you will get a bit of noise and a potentially incorrect value for air mass.
The ECU will default to using its MAP sensor and lambda probes to get the correct air/fuel ratio so it will still run.

If you like that sort of thing it will work but basically means you're bypassing one of the ECUs measuring devices.

Mine still runs its DV.

So what we thinking then bad idea? Sounds so good as well

Well sacrificing ECU's ability to measure air flow for sound? Seems like a bad idea to me, no matter how good it sounds.

All these people running cars at shows, they look the part all show and no go, same with sound all sound no go, get the funds together and get a BCS powervalve exhaust, plenty of go and great sound, why buy an Audi??? Personally I like the quality of sound from a very well set up engine.