Disc and Pad change...just in time!

Reaction score
This isn't a particularly rock'n'roll mod thread but I thought it was interesting nonetheless. I've known for a while that my front discs and pads needed changing but haven't gotten around to doing it due to other higher priority jobs on my pug, but recently the pad warning light came on so I thought I best get it sorted. Anyway when I pulled the brakes apart yesterday this was the state of the existing pads, needless to say, if your warning light comes on, get 'em changed ASAP!

Old pad:

oldpad.jpg

New Pad:

newpad.jpg

Comparison, both pads facing outwards:

padcomparison.jpg

It's no wonder I had to jump on the pedal to stop the thing!

Nah there's shed loads of life in those yet :p

pffft no sparks?

jokin thats pretty crazy i had some like that on my first car. Did know any better and just keep driving and driving. In the end they were literally like 1-3mm

****** he'll, but more to the point whats with the black leather fingerless gloves :lmfao:

well, looks like there's still a bit of life in them....but then again it all depends on the mileage you do.
Not sure what pads they are, but the standard pads from Audi have the sensor somewhere near the middle of the pad ! I always buy genuine when it comes to disks & brakes.

****** he'll, but more to the point whats with the black leather fingerless gloves :lmfao:

LMFAO only just spotted them, bit of YMCA going on here I fear

The old ones were genuine disks and pads, and the pad shown in the first pic shows where the wear sensor once connected, it's pretty much at the end of the pad....the replacements are OE spec from a motor factors and feel pretty good even though they haven't bedded in yet.

Your right or our right, cause there is a distinct difference lmfao

I have to ask, does braking power really deteriorates as the pads wear down? Surely unless it's worn down to metal, it should stop just as good right? Also, brake pedal needing a bit more of a stomp to make car stop, doesn't the front brakes self adjust, so as the pad wear down, your brake fluid reservoir goes down as the piston needs to come further out, but brake pedal pressure should stay the same?

The short answer is yes and no.

In theory the pad should be exactly the same from first (bedded in) stop to the last.
However, the resin in a pad is never completely cured, when pads are new the resin is roughly 80% cured. As you use the brake the resin cures more and more and so changes the friction coefficient of the pad.

As the pad gets thinner it is also easier to put too much heat through them and alter the chemical composion of them that way (I would get deeper into it but its slightly complicated as i dont fully know what goes into a pad - its a very closely guarded secret of pad manufacturers)

And yes you are exactly right that the brake reseviour allows for more fluid to go into the system as the pad wears and being an incompressable fluid pedal feel should not change....

Recognise anyone:

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmfao: That's not paddy from the 8p section is it!!

If G3 is involved he'll probably start a thread about it ;)