Disappointing Michelin PS4 tread wear....

RPB

Reaction score
As title, 4 tyres have been on the car for only 15400 miles over 23 months and are now only 3 to 3.5mm of tread left! WTF? At that rate of wear, they will be removed (2mm left) by the time they hit 18000 miles.
Considering that does not include any spirited country lane or track driving and I am pretty pi55ed off, to be honest. I don't consider that to be decent tread wear. Or is it?
Please challenge my opinion......................

Reactions: Shady0808
I know a guy with a cls55 amg that goes through a set of rear tyres every 2,000/3,000 miles, if that makes you feel any better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shady0808, lapac and RPB
I know a guy with a cls55 amg that goes through a set of rear tyres every 2,000/3,000 miles, if that makes you feel any better?

That's some serious tyre wear! LOL.

That's some serious tyre wear! LOL.

Good thing it’s not driven much! To be honest I’d say you’re not getting outrageous wear on your tyres mate, I’m sure they normally last 15-20k if you’re not pushing them hard

Reactions: RPB
15000 miles is about right for the front tyres, rears should last longer.
Are they all worn evenly? If not other parts of the suspension are worn or wheel Alignment is out.

15000 miles is about right for the front tyres, rears should last longer.
Are they all worn evenly? If not other parts of the suspension are worn or wheel Alignment is out.
Hey @SootySport, thx. Yeah they are all wearing very evenly across all 4 tyres. One front tyre has a little more wear on its inner edge compared to the other one, but it's nothing too over the top that I'm concerned about it considering the 15.4k miles done.

In that case I have to agree with the others, it is normall wear.

18000 miles is pretty decent. I’d be happy with that.

Grippy tyres are usually a softer compound, so they tend to wear faster than less grippy tyres.
I have Rainsport 3 on all 4 corners of mine, and they still have plenty of tread left on them despite being close to 15k miles of wear. They are also cheap enough that I won't feel too upset if I change all 4 at the same time.

As title, 4 tyres have been on the car for only 15400 miles over 23 months and are now only 3 to 3.5mm of tread left! WTF? At that rate of wear, they will be removed (2mm left) by the time they hit 18000 miles.
Considering that does not include any spirited country lane or track driving and I am pretty pi55ed off, to be honest. I don't consider that to be decent tread wear. Or is it?
Please challenge my opinion......................

If I managed to get 15000 miles out of a pair on the front I’d be over the moon!
I’ve had Continental Sport Contact 5 and latterly Bridgestones all-round on my A3 over the last 2 1/2 years and just about manage 10K miles on the front before they need replacing.
I’ve now gone for Michelin PS4 on all 4 corners in the hope of a bit more life....time will tell .

Reactions: RS3 S.
Michelins will always last less than others i find. I use Goodyear F1 asymmetric 3's and get 20k out of them and i am putting down 380bhp.

Michelins will always last less than others i find. I use Goodyear F1 asymmetric 3's and get 20k out of them and i am putting down 380bhp.
Yeah I wanted a change and went for the PS4's, BUT, wait till after Feb @paddy and we've got the new asymmetric 5's being released! They are supposed to be another great improvement for Goodyear. :)

It always makes me chuckle how you reference your 380bhp in every other post :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: ch1z64 and Bryant1998
Well its kind of relevant giving we are talking about tyre wear. I promise i will never mention it again and have removed the car spec from the sig as well.

Reactions: nluk100
Well its kind of relevant giving we are talking about tyre wear. I promise i will never mention it again and have removed the car spec from the sig as well.

Never mind that @paddy, what about them Asymmetric 5's! OO!

Reactions: paddy
To add a bit to my reply above, over the last 2.5yrs of ownership , I’ve tried Conti 5s and Bridgestones fitted all-round and neither lasted for more than 9-10K miles on the front.
I measured my PS4 tyres the other day and in 5K miles the fronts have gone from 8mm (new) to 6mm .
If they wear at the same rate then they will give 15K miles service by the time they get to 2mm.
This has come as quite a (pleasant) shock to me as it is a considerable reduction in tyre wear compared to the previous 2 brands.

Thx Nessy. Yeh that’s so much better tyre wear for you and me. I was gonna try the new Goodyear Asymmetric 5’s when they get released after Feb Although I may not

Thread dept on a brand new ps4 isn't 8mm. It's 7mm or even less.

Reactions: ch1z64
Plenty of tyre review sites state that they are 7 mm.
"Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected. "
Like when milka went from 100g to 80g and kept the same price.

Reactions: ch1z64
Plenty of tyre review sites state that they are 7 mm.
"Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected. "
Like when milka went from 100g to 80g and kept the same price.

Thx S. so it is like everything else. The price stays roughly the same and remove product. Bit disappointing as they ought to keep it at 8mm, but most ppl, like me, would still be thinking they’re 8mm.

Reactions: S.
15k miles is a perfectly reasonable mileage for a performance tyre, especially on a heavy car like the S3. Why is this a surprise to anyone?

Also, tyre life-span is closely related to rubber compound used, as well as how the car is driven, so would be quite an individual thing. Michelin make the best gripping tyres (Internet agrees with me), but this does come at a cost of slightly shorter lifespan. I've had terrible experience with Dunlops and Contis - both of which offer horrendous understeer in these cars.

For good wear and reasonable grip, Bridgestone Eagle F1s have been quite good to me, but get them hot and they start to slide about quite a bit.

How much power you running ? Xx

Reactions: nluk100
15k miles is a perfectly reasonable mileage for a performance tyre, especially on a heavy car like the S3. Why is this a surprise to anyone?

Because driving under speed cameras leads to a rather sedate driving style so I still expected more!
If I were a rapid country lane or thrash off maniac I wouldn’t have asked.

Thread dept on a brand new ps4 isn't 8mm. It's 7mm or even less.

So have you personally measured the tread depth of a new PS4 tyre or just quoting internet ‘facts’?
Concerned with high wear rates on Continental and Bridgestone tyres on the front end of my A3 I was very interested to see how the Michelin tyres would fare , they have worn 2mm in just over 5K miles as they’re now at 6mm.
If you’re telling me that they were 7mm new and in 5000 miles have worn a mere 1mm then one of us is wrong....

So have you personally measured the tread depth of a new PS4 tyre or just quoting internet ‘facts’?
Concerned with high wear rates on Continental and Bridgestone tyres on the front end of my A3 I was very interested to see how the Michelin tyres would fare , they have worn 2mm in just over 5K miles as they’re now at 6mm.
If you’re telling me that they were 7mm new and in 5000 miles have worn a mere 1mm then one of us is wrong....
No i didn't. Never thought i'd need to do that.

I am on my second set of PS4's. The first set lasted me 33k miles, they could have done another 2-4k if I took them right down to the legal limit. Most of my drive to work is country roads too, so lots of corners, braking & accelerating. I've seen people easily do 40-50k on them with motorway miles.

Went through my my continentals on my M2 in 7500 miles, mainly country lanes but not a large amount of beans! I’d have been chuffed with 14k miles!

Reactions: Mark A Greenwood
I am on my second set of PS4's. The first set lasted me 33k miles, they could have done another 2-4k if I took them right down to the legal limit. Most of my drive to work is country roads too, so lots of corners, braking & accelerating. I've seen people easily do 40-50k on them with motorway miles.

We'll mine have done 16315 miles in 2 years and are on 3mm so they ain't getting to 33k that's for sure. They are all similar to do no different wear across all 4.

Final results are in! LOL.
18300 miles and they were swapped over yesterday for another set of PS4’s. I had thought about the new Goodyear Asymm’ 5’s, however, like the PS4’s and got 10% off at Blackcircles for a change. Still, I think 18k is shocking for driving like an old man, even if it is a lot of boring 30 and 40 mph driving around ‘A’ roads, estates, ring roads at 40 mph, etc. I dunno, I definitely expected more.
Tyres were removed with a measured 2mm in places down to 1.6mm *cough*. I clearly never measured the part that was at 1.6mm until the last minute which annoyed the hell outta me. Then I did the 20p coin measuring test and that failed too. LOL.
Thanks all.

Have you had your geo checked properly? I didn't drive mine that slowly and got much better wear.

Have you had your geo checked properly? I didn't drive mine that slowly and got much better wear.

No I haven’t yet. From past experience with my Subaru, it seems to be a very expensive check with lots of ‘tutting’ and head shaking followed by how much you need to spend to get parts replaced.
I need a good recommendation around the Notts area.

To confirm what you all knew - brand new PS4’s on the car. 7mm starting tread. The tight, tread robbing, money grabbing gits!

Reactions: S.
To confirm what you all knew - brand new PS4’s on the car. 7mm starting tread. The tight, tread robbing, money grabbing gits!

Well I must be measuring the tyre depth in the wrong place then as I measured mine new at 8mm!
I’ve just checked my front tyres as they’ve now done 15500 miles since fitting .
They’re both at 3.5mm , which ties in with my measurements a few months ago that the PS4 wears (on my car at least) at approx 2mm every 5K miles.
Given that with both Continentals and Bridgestones I couldn’t get more than 10K miles per pair on the front I’m more than happy with the Michelin wear rate.
When the time comes to replace the fronts, PS4’s will definitely be going back on......

Hey Nessy I did put the PS4’s back on mine too still a great tyre. I kinda made the ‘mistake’ of having my alignment checked for the first time and it was only out a small amount and they still adjusted it. Now I’m convinced my steering wheel is off slightly it may have been like it before. I’m so annoyingly anal sometimes I wind myself up. But yeh, the PS4’s are superb tyres.
Re-tread depth. I’ll check them with my own gauge but the garage had them at 7mm and I watched him check em as it was up in the ramps.

It’s getting towards the time when my front tyres need replacing , and given the PS4 have given me almost TWICE the mileage I’ve had out of Continentals and Bridgestones it wasn’t much of a task to decide what make the new tyres were to be!
The current fronts are on 17K miles now, by the time they come off the mileage will be 18K.
Here is one of the new pair , brand spanking new (manufactured week 32 of 2019) and with a tread depth gauge .
I make it 8mm.
69E480B7 A82B 4C9D AC9B C88EE6A7BFB1

It’s getting towards the time when my front tyres need replacing , and given the PS4 have given me almost TWICE the mileage I’ve had out of Continentals and Bridgestones it wasn’t much of a task to decide what make the new tyres were to be!
The current fronts are on 17K miles now, by the time they come off the mileage will be 18K.
Here is one of the new pair , brand spanking new (manufactured week 32 of 2019) and with a tread depth gauge .
I make it 8mm.
View attachment 190694

I phoned Michelin up about it. They make em 7.5mm but the tolerance is 0.5mm as well. So I kopped for a ***** set this time around. He just said keep an eye on the wear over a few months and phone back if it’s not good. So I’m gonna do that. I’ll measure mine again and see.

My S3 just destroyed Bridestones, tread was ok but the sides split away from the tread.

Attachments

• 2013-02-26 14.27.21.jpg
    2013-02-26 14.27.21.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 338
I phoned Michelin up about it. They make em 7.5mm but the tolerance is 0.5mm as well. So I kopped for a ***** set this time around. He just said keep an eye on the wear over a few months and phone back if it’s not good. So I’m gonna do that. I’ll measure mine again and see.

Perhaps I’ve just been fortunate with my Michelin purchases then,LOL.
My previous Audi was a B5 A4 that I owned for over 10 years and I used Michelin Energy tyres as well as Bridgestones.
There wasn’t much difference in wear rates between them , which led me to believe that most of the premium brand tyres had similar life-spans when on a car.
I just can’t get over how the PS4 has lasted so long .
For the entire duration of ownership I’ve been putting new tyres on the front of my A3 every 5-6 months.
I haven’t replaced them in almost a year now!

Thats crazy...i have put over 20k on the front Goodyears isometrics so far and they are still absolutely fine.