Disappointed

Morris39

Reaction score
Hello All
I'm from across the sea and joined your forum b/c there is a sub-forum VCDS Map. On the NA Audi forums there is very little discussion of diagnostics so I was hopeful. Posted a thread asking if members here found recording their existing Advanced Measuring Values and Adaptations (Block/Ad Maps) useful . One week and 80 views, no response. Clear that there is no interest. Checking previous posts I see most are somewhat desperate pleas help which part to change or looking for free access to the scanner. Should have done that first.

Way to slag off the vcds membership, well done!

You asked a pretty advanced question there, one better asked in the official Ross-tech forums. Most members here are enthusiasts and would not get involved at that level.

Reactions: S32B and KenL
Hello Morris.

Firstly, welcome.

The VCDS forum does get pleas for help and also both valid and esoteric posts. I am a VCDS owner but must confess I don’t check that sub forum very often. Most of us are hobbyists though there are some pros too.

With so many engines across the Audi range, some measuring blocks will have more relevance to a specific engine type than others. To your point, cam positioning and long term timing trims which can indicate chain stretch, but a lot of engine designs have timing belts so limited relevance.

Other VCDS checks have reference across multiple engines: e.g MAF sensor for air intake vs power/ fuel load or other checks for steering angle vs traction control.

Assuming you have an 8V since you posted here, there is a VCDS mods sticky but that’s about changing functionality more than diagnostics.

However your post was about chain stretch so quoting an engine code might help - there are some very insightful posts on the site but not always in the easiest place to find., as everyone’s mind works differently.

FWIW - I don’t routinely record measuring blocks - I only check them when something doesn’t seem right, even if within what most garages may deem ‘normal / within parameters’.

John.

Last edited:
Reactions: Booti
Hello All
I'm from across the sea and joined your forum b/c there is a sub-forum VCDS Map. On the NA Audi forums there is very little discussion of diagnostics so I was hopeful. Posted a thread asking if members here found recording their existing Advanced Measuring Values and Adaptations (Block/Ad Maps) useful . One week and 80 views, no response. Clear that there is no interest. Checking previous posts I see most are somewhat desperate pleas help which part to change or looking for free access to the scanner. Should have done that first.
Ask straight audi simple :D

I could have been clearer. I am raising questions not advocating. I got the scanner for use on my car and only on my car as a diagnostic tool much like a vernier caliper to measure brake pads. I am not a repair hobbyist, too old/stiff/too lazy/too affluent to wan to under a greasy car. I hope avoid keepi