Disappointed with all this dpf thing..

IRONy_MAN

IRONy_MAN
Reaction score
Hi all so my story is one of someone who loves cars but now I have no idea what to do and how to manage this. Bought my beloved Audi a4 from Audi Basingstoke. Never owned an Audi neither a car fitted with a dpf.. done some homework about but not good enough apparently. So went to Audi six months ago(after four years of saving for my dream car) and found an A4 tdi se with 2 litre engine in mint condition. We just got in love with it(was with my wife). The sales man asked me a few questions one of them was where I m planing to drive this car around so I ve replied that 90%around town and once a year in Europe visiting my old ones in my native country. He didn t reply anything like good or bad.. after a couple of hours we decided to buy the car. The car was brilliant I ve done 6000miles in 6 'months, 4000 in a long trip so basically just 2000 miles in 6months around London. I bought the car to drive it at work and to pick my wife from work but because At the moment I m living like 3 miles from work I don t take the car in because of the dreaded dpf and as I ve found out the short journeys like this make my dpf sick... So my dream car stays in the back om my flat in the car park and I still walk for 20 min wich is great but when it s raining or I m tired it s not that great... I m walking at work and after work being tired most of the time come back home take the car and than I get my wife nearby Hammersmith 7milee away and most of the time I m late and she s tired as well and last Thursday We ve had a small fight because I keep the car at home and basically We ve invested in my dream car..who s back my flats...because of the dpf.. every weekend even if I m tired I always take the car fir a spin on a3/m25 for 40-50 min to clear the dpf... I m doing miles over miles to clean dpf..I m sometimes speeding to get some revs to avoid'driving as a granny does'..time ,diesel,speed just to clear dpf..so tired as I m working a lot..maybe sometimes I m not in the mood to take the car out for the clear the dpf but after what should we expect???lights in the dash?££££ bill for clear/replace dpf..sounds crazy ..and it is. I also considered to move my house bit away from work just for the sake of my car wich is stupid also therefore at this moment I m gutted with all my dream cars and so... can t see how I ll manage the dpf as already I ve been late at work because my car decided to burn the soot...explain your bosses that you ve had to clear the dpf on the car..... so obviously made a bit of mistake in here.. the car is still a dream to drive..but I think is coming to an end and have no really option than sell it or cut the dpf,also horror stories regarding mot and stuff.. as this post was very long I thank you all for reading it and let me know your personal opinion if you have one. All the best, Adi

Adi sometimes if you are already considering something you've made your mind up but don't want to except it. Imo nothing is worth you and your wife arguing over especially a car (don't shoot me I'm anything for a quiet life)

Agree regular short trips aren't good for it.

Gutting the dpf iirc as long as it's done well is only a visual inspection on an MOT

Only you can make your mind up but have you thought about changing to a petrol?

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Reactions: James.B8 and IRONy_MAN
Have you tried wynns dpf cleaner? It reduces the temps required to burn off.

I have a pd engined Leon fr and that has a dpf. It clogs up if I walk past it too slowly. I've just learnt to cane the tits off it once a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: IRONy_MAN
Just enjoy the car.... short runs aint the best for most cars and a blast on the motorway should keep it good. also ask your local indi for the cost of a dpf clean if required

Adi sometimes if you are already considering something you've made your mind up but don't want to except it. Imo nothing is worth you and your wife arguing over especially a car (don't shoot me I'm anything for a quiet life)

Agree regular short trips aren't good for it.

Gutting the dpf iirc as long as it's done well is only a visual inspection on an MOT

Only you can make your mind up but have you thought about changing to a petrol?

Thanks for your reply.. went today back to dealership for an a3tfsi but nothing on stock and if you want to buy one from lets say Scotland You need to buy it and than you ll see what you get,another one was an a4 quattro tfsi and I was happy with.. price: )14990 got mine for nearly £12000 ...they ve evaluated mine at £8000 after six months and 6 thousands miles..in the meantime I ve fitted new front tyres(Pirelli ) and Llumar tinted from b pillar.. got high blood pressure when he said how much can give for mine...profits profits profits.

Reactions: feva
Just enjoy the car.... short runs aint the best for most cars and a blast on the motorway should keep it good. also ask your local indi for the cost of a dpf clean if required
Dpf cleaner doesn t exist really..most of times waste of money..otherwise never had big issues with it just once two weeks doing regen. Adi

Have you tried wynns dpf cleaner? It reduces the temps required to burn off.

I have a pd engined Leon fr and that has a dpf. It clogs up if I walk past it too slowly. I've just learnt to cane the tits off it once a month.
Thanks I ll have a look. Adi

I found shell Vpower did less DPF regens than fuel save on my last car , it had a milltek on and you could here the difference in exhaust note when on a regen , low ash oil helps eg mobil 1 ect
Thanks but I have all bills kept as since I ve bought it the car never Had anything else than Vpower...saved all bills to show anyone interested that I really care about the car... never drive with an tank bellow half...otherwise the dpf doesn t regen as one of the things involved in regen is injecting diesel trough a pipe for to burn the soot... crazy what I ve learned in the last six months.Adi

I thought regen was done by altering the injection timing.

never drive with an tank bellow half...otherwise the dpf doesn t regen
Both my Golf and A6 regen with less than half a tank, so strange if this is the case for your car.

The DPF shouldn't require the level of attention you're giving it. It doesn't sound like it's actually caused any problems, so relax a bit and just enjoy it.

Reactions: gray99y and IRONy_MAN
Both my Golf and A6 regen with less than half a tank, so strange if this is the case for your car.

The DPF shouldn't require the level of attention you're giving it. It doesn't sound like it's actually caused any problems, so relax a bit and just enjoy it.
Probably I m just stressed out by all the horror stories although I reqlly treat this car really wellAdi

Reactions: James_TDi
If you bought used from Audi don't they come with 12 months warranty?? Your DPF should not be giving you that much grief if you go for a blast on the motorway regularly. Possibly something is wrong. Personally, I'd find someone with VCDS to do a scan (make sure any errors ARE NOT erased) If any show up go back to the Audi dealer.

If you bought used from Audi don't they come with 12 months warranty?? Your DPF should not be giving you that much grief if you go for a blast on the motorway regularly. Possibly something is wrong. Personally, I'd find someone with VCDS to do a scan (make sure any errors ARE NOT erased) If any show up go back to the Audi dealer.
Well dpf is not covered by warranty plus the dpf is ok at this moment but I m just scared to use the car every day for short journeys as I ll get problems with dpf. Adi

Reactions: GAS MONKEY
I do 2.2 miles to work and 2.2 back a day no probs dpf once a week and some times two weeks go past for a regen , I know when its doing a re gen and I cut it short both fans come on when swiched of for 15 to 20 mins :yes:

I do 2.2 miles to work and 2.2 back a day no probs dpf once a week and some times two weeks go past for a regen , I know when its doing a re gen and I cut it short both fans come on when swiched of for 15 to 20 mins :yes:
Hmm I know when is the regen on by revs..from 800 to 900-950 for 15 mins start stop not working and burnt smell under car

So you're not having problems, you're just worried you will?

You'll be fine. Stop worrying.

Reactions: feva, James_TDi and IRONy_MAN
N
So you're not having problems, you're just worried you will?

You'll be fine. Stop worrying.
No I don t have at the moment because I ve kept the car at home just took it for longer journeys but from tomorrow I ve promised my wife that the car ll not be any more just rusting behind my flat so I m expecting problems..as I ve seen once a week or once every two weeks the dpf regen on. Probably ddp and egr+stage 1 on the way next week as the car goes in tomorrow for the diesel scandal recall. Thanks, Adi

These engines don't have a particular issue with dpfs. Just drive it whenever you want and take it out for the occasional blast. Sitting around does them no good either!

Reactions: IRONy_MAN, epox and AudiLeon
So lets get this straight.

Your car shows now issue with DPF, but your either being late for work because your trying to clean it off or not driving at all? Mental.

You're over-worrying about it. Selling it may be an option but most likely you'll be buying something else with a "known issue" - most cars have horror stories about one thing or another.

So lets get this straight.

Your car shows now issue with DPF, but your either being late for work because your trying to clean it off or not driving at all? Mental.

You're over-worrying about it. Selling it may be an option but most likely you'll be buying something else with a "known issue" - most cars have horror stories about one thing or another.
Hi thanks for your opinion and I think you re right on this...basically didn't drive the car on short journeys as when I do it I see very often the dpf process on and I m just worried that starting from today to use it everywhere at anytime I ll get problems with the dpf...short journeys around town...but I ll see as today the car is in for recall under EA189. Adi

If the car is doing it's thing to clean the DPF. All is rosy. Worry when it stops and thick black smoke appears from the bonnet and men in yellow suits and face masks start paying a lot of attention to your car with red shiny hoses.

If the car is doing it's thing to clean the DPF. All is rosy. Worry when it stops and thick black smoke appears from the bonnet and men in yellow suits and face masks start paying a lot of attention to your car with red shiny hoses.
:)

I would seriously consider a DPF delete by the sounds of your situation, most places are £450 for a gut and map(still cheaper than a new dpf) and that includes leaving the dpf shell for the visual inspection as well as a nice smile on your face with more power, little more sound (presuming you keep the rear boxes) and no worrying about dpf clogging.
I had mine just done as I am suddenly doing 3 mile sprints to and from work every lunch to take the newest addition of our family for a lunch time walk and play.
Would appear you are only around the corner from me if you are in basingstoke, I can always pass you the details of the MOT guy i use who will give you no problems ;)

As long as the DPF canister is present and the car passes the smoke test it will pass an MOT at any MOT station as there is nothing for it too fail on. If they were to change the MOT rules in the future than things may be different.
A good remap won't be smokey at all. Modern CR engines are very good at producing smoke free exhaust, If they weren't the DPF would be regenerating every 100 miles.
It sounds to me like the salesman shouldn't really have sold you that car as he should have explained that modern diesels with DPF's are not very good on short journeys. Hence the reason I am looking for a new car for the wife and it won't be a diesel as she only does short trips.
She currently has a 1.4 Yaris diesel, but that has no DPF and has run faultlessly for the last 7 years.

As long as the DPF canister is present and the car passes the smoke test it will pass an MOT at any MOT station as there is nothing for it too fail on. If they were to change the MOT rules in the future than things may be different.
A good remap won't be smokey at all. Modern CR engines are very good at producing smoke free exhaust, If they weren't the DPF would be regenerating every 100 miles.
It sounds to me like the salesman shouldn't really have sold you that car as he should have explained that modern diesels with DPF's are not very good on short journeys. Hence the reason I am looking for a new car for the wife and it won't be a diesel as she only does short trips.
She currently has a 1.4 Yaris diesel, but that has no DPF and has run faultlessly for the last 7 years.
That s why I m stuck now as the car is faultless just dpf might be an issue.. probably @bobby singh can give me a hand soon enough

T
I would seriously consider a DPF delete by the sounds of your situation, most places are £450 for a gut and map(still cheaper than a new dpf) and that includes leaving the dpf shell for the visual inspection as well as a nice smile on your face with more power, little more sound (presuming you keep the rear boxes) and no worrying about dpf clogging.
I had mine just done as I am suddenly doing 3 mile sprints to and from work every lunch to take the newest addition of our family for a lunch time walk and play.
Would appear you are only around the corner from me if you are in basingstoke, I can always pass you the details of the MOT guy i use who will give you no problems ;)
Thanks actually You've done some mods trough obd on my car.. they re gone anyway as I m collecting the car from Audi..done the recall (emission fail) . That s my intention to get the dpf off and egr valve plus remap but I need to be sure that the remap will work now after new software was installed. Thanks for advice.

Adi how have you found car since software update? Mines booked in for a week tomorrow but having serious doubts about it now.

Adi how have you found car since software update? Mines booked in for a week tomorrow but having serious doubts about it now.

Hey, I ve had to drive trough 5pm traffic west London so no more than third gear.. tried all sort of hi revs first gear..second gear.. third gear.. foot down straight in second..kickdown third all seems the same..I was ready for some scandal(not the diesel one)my version this time with Audi Wimbledon.. Was a gent in there in the morning telling me very sure on his words that my car goes to back on factory settings... as my car had some mods I wasn t happy.. but they ve put them back...thing is honestly that I have a doubt they ve done anything with it:) Adi

Hey, I ve had to drive trough 5pm traffic west London so no more than third gear.. tried all sort of hi revs first gear..second gear.. third gear.. foot down straight in second..kickdown third all seems the same..I was ready for some scandal(not the diesel one)my version this time with Audi Wimbledon.. Was a gent in there in the morning telling me very sure on his words that my car goes to back on factory settings... as my car had some mods I wasn t happy.. but they ve put them back...thing is honestly that I have a doubt they ve done anything with it:) Adi
I ll take it anyway on m25 for a short trip just to see haow the car acts. I ll let you know anyway. Adi

I ll take it anyway on m25 for a short trip just to see haow the car acts. I ll let you know anyway. Adi
Cheers Adi

Read and read loads and loads about it. Today read that in the eu emissions aren't as strict as in the USA, the USA update requires software and hardware mods but in the eu only software is required and that is why there is no compensation in the eu country's.

Cheers Adi

Read and read loads and loads about it. Today read that in the eu emissions aren't as strict as in the USA, the USA update requires software and hardware mods but in the eu only software is required and that is why there is no compensation in the eu country's.

Honestly It was taking too much from that time I don t have anyway..If we loose 2-3bhp and a few nm won t be good but still not too bad as I have a feeling that they ll make us anyway to take the car for the software update.. have you seen that guy with his a5 on dyno before and after? Hopefully is not just someone from Audi trying to cool off the boilling boys(I m one of 'em).Been speaking with a few well known guys around here to take the car for a remap and maybe dpf and egr off. Will see. Are you living around London? Cause I ll take you for a spin just to have an idea on how the car feels. Adi

Cheers for the offer Adi unfortunately I live in God's country aka the North East

I've seen the a5 dyno'd results, can't see audi making claims (for the fix) that aren't accurate.

It'll be just me over thinking it now.

Last edited:
Why wont audi cover a DPF under warranty?

Mark - let me know how you get in with the 'fix' be interesting to see what someone else with same engine thinks to any feeling in changes.

Thing is with a DPF, you need to get the engine up to temperature, same with any engine to be honest, even a petrol will create 'mayo' around the oil cap because condensation isnt burnt off inside the engine. If your car gets up to temperature, then there shouldnt really be a issue with having one. Granted it is best to give them a bit stick or a nice long run out occasionally to clear things up.

Reactions: GAS MONKEY, IRONy_MAN and feva