Disappearing Oil

dirtydamdog

Reaction score
So why would my 3.0 v6 supercharged be using now? Ive been looking the last week for leaks but cant find any. I've had to top it up twice in 3 weeks now half a litre each time. Ive checked the coolant and theres none in there either the only thing I can think of is it burning that much?:banghead:

they can do upto half ltr to 1k
how many miles on the car

You got a new car Bez?

Have you done the usual oil burning checks on the car?

iv got a few cars james
have i dont the checks or was that to the OP

nope wasnt me
if you mean the cab then thats gone to a new home

Nothing too technical, blue smoke at start up, or on a trailing throttle? Get some one to follow you while you give it beans and see what they say.

Nothing too technical, blue smoke at start up, or on a trailing throttle? Get some one to follow you while you give it beans and see what they say.

hi
i have just noticed that when cold starting my b6 2.5tdi i get a puff of smoke,greyish i suppose rather than blue, also strange smell- i just assumed thats the same for all diesels when cold? I dont notice any smoke when the engines warm. Also, this sounds stupid, but how often does everyone check their oil, as i must admit i have been quite pre-occupied lately so not even popped up the hood(will now do tomo)- have probably clocked up 500 miles since bought so not checked anything yet. Have done the smoke trail test and that seems fine but will also try revving hard on drive- any ideas? and what else would you recommend to check regularly under the hood?(apart from oil /water).
cheers.

Thats probably unburnt fuel when you start it, does it fire up straight away or wind over a bit first?

I check my oil after the car has stood overnight.

Thats probably unburnt fuel when you start it, does it fire up straight away or wind over a bit first?

I check my oil after the car has stood overnight.

hi mate
yes it does wind up a bit, i thought that the battery was on its way out.......so do you check your oil daily then? also, if it needs topping up would castrol gtd oil suffice, assuming its the right spec?

cheers.

No I don't check it daily, what I meant was when I do check it it's after the car has stood overnight.

There's too many oils to choose from, I'm not familair with that one but any quality oil matching the spec in the handbook will suffice.

No I don't check it daily, what I meant was when I do check it it's after the car has stood overnight.

There's too many oils to choose from, I'm not familair with that one but any quality oil matching the spec in the handbook will suffice.

ok cool- so probably just normal the smoke then, better check the oil etc tomorrow methinks.

thanks again.