Disadvantages of wide and staggered wheels??

Jonezy87

Reaction score
Looking at a set of 19 x 9 front and 19 x 10 rear wheels for my s3. Just wondered what the disadvantages there are of running such wide wheels? Also what tyre sizes would people recommend? If quite streched what are the disadvantages of this?

Cheers

hi, in my personal experience i cant think of any dis-advantages as long as its not contacting the body or suspension and the rolling radii are kept the same. For the rim sizes you mention you could go 225/35 on the front and 255/30 on the rear, however if you dont want them so stretched then 235/35 and 265/30 should be ok as long as you watch the offset. How much stretch you have also depends a lot on the make of tyre.

Yea as above some tires do stretch more as i have falken on mine on 9x19 and 10x19 x5 bm wheels. Handling wise it seems to track just as well if not better than with my lm reps on. Have a look in my thread for pics of the wheels and ideas of offsets you'd like and tire sizes etc

There will be a negative on handling running wider rears. The more rubber you run on the rear of S3's effects the turn in, and in effect ruins the handling!

The only disadvantages i can think of is...

The price of tyres
Handling

So whats the best or ideal size for an S3?
im more used to setting the mk2 golf up but i want to change the S3 wheels to freshen it up

So whats the best or ideal size for an S3?
im more used to setting the mk2 golf up but i want to change the S3 wheels to freshen it up

For handling, it has to be light weight 18" rims with 225/40 rubber.

Saying that, my standard Mk2 on 15" BBS RAs handles better than a souped up S3. Now I have Top adjustable Koni shocks on the mk2, the S3 has no chance in the cornering dept. in the dry!

Last edited:
Joe is spot on, get some high quality lightweight wheels and stick to 225/40 tyres.

I also have top adjustable Koni shocks in my track Cordoba and I now run it on 15 inch Compomotive MOs, and it too will run rings around my S3 in the dry.

wide rear wheels is for rwd cars to give a bit more understeering caracteristics due to the oversteer the rwd brings with it. also stretch tyres ruins handling no way is it as good as running no stretched. i have both so i no the difference. but you cant let handling worry you if its looks your after :)

For handling, it has to be light weight 18" rims with 225/40 rubber.

Saying that, my standard Mk2 on 15" BBS RAs handles better than a souped up S3. Now I have Top adjustable Koni shocks on the mk2, the S3 has no chance in the cornering dept. in the dry!

Exactly the same joe,
My mk2 is on 15 inch mim alpine wheels and would completely leave the S3 for dead on anything other than a completely wet track/ road.

I agree that 18s with 225/40 would be the best all round combo, especially if its a daily driver, but for me personally i'm inspired by things like the rieger poster i had on my wall as a kid with early golfs, corrados and audis looking fat and mean and without such wide wheels its impossible to try and emulate that look. We all have our reasons for the choices we make I guess and thats what makes all our cars different and possibly unique .. I am also happy in the knowledge that I will never see another S3, or possibly any car, with the same wheels I have.. although that last point doesnt have anything to do with wheel width really.

Road noise and fuel consumption do go up and down respectively, although I dont think the differences are particularly noticeable.. With the road noise some surfaces are worse than others but most are ok and as quiet as standard rims/tyres, this may also be affected by tyre brand. If you fit lightweight wheels (wide or not) instead of the heavy genuine items then it would possibly counter any decrease in fuel conumption due to drag and friction from the wider rims/tyres..