Disabling the OBD Port for Free!

Nah. Try locking yourself in and then getting yourself out again

i locked myself in the car and pressed the inside lock to unlock to test the alarm is off for my dog. Unlocked from the door button, but I dont know what would happen once alarm is off.. I am curious and gonna test :p gone off topic but just saying be careful not to give too much away :p

Reactions: feva
i locked myself in the car and pressed the inside lock to unlock to test the alarm is off for my dog. Unlocked from the door button, but I dont know what would happen once alarm is off.. I am curious and gonna test gone off topic but just saying be careful not to give too much away :p
Last time I locked myself in the car I was in the dog house

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

I locked my car with the remote keyfob.
The locking/unlocking button on the door did not light up like it does when you are driving.
I tried unlocking it with that door button but it does nothing.
So I recon smashing a window and reaching in wont allow you to unlock the door. After all, that's what deadlocks are for??

Reactions: Meemo and ammo-mcr
On my old vectra you had to press lock twice to dead lock. Still am annoying habit I have to press lock twice.

On some cars pressing the lock button twice disables deadlock, so try to get out the GM habit!

It does this on the S1 doesn't it ? I'd need to read the manual again but I thought it was one click to deadlock and two to lock but to allow any people in the car to be able to open the doors from the inside.

On mine it's once to deadlock twice to disable deadlock, likewise come from GM so having to break the habit.

Good work fellas I have just bought a 2014 A4 so Ill be doing this straight away.
An S5 was taken from just up the road from me last night.
I assume it'll be the said fuses as mentioned above?

Read Performance Audi magazine out at the end of the month, article on security.

The sticker is a good idea

but "VISIBILITY: Day & Night (when illuminated)" LOL!

Yes the sticker that came with my "port locker" is tastefully tame - ie not much chance of anyone seeing it, even the DiscLok is tastefully tamely painted, which is not too clever. Anyone trying to steal my car is going to get really annoyed once they have found that out - hope they are not on performance related bonus!

Reactions: CHEZ
Read Performance Audi magazine out at the end of the month, article on security.
Well I've had a good look at that issue of that magazine, and guess what, nothing new or informative there I'm sorry to say, other than a claim that fitting an OBD port protector etc will stop scummy people touching your car - I don't think so, too late for them when they have found out that it is not easy to take away, they will still have done some damage, I'm thinking my basic and boring - and visible "disc lok" may well have made them move on to the next one - that is before they have discovered that my car has its OBD port blocked by a lump of alloy!

Reactions: Chris90
Nothing new or informative ?

So knowing the deadlocks can be unlock in 11seconds was not of use. Being told the unit to fit that means it can not be stolen even with the keys ? What more did you want.

Disk lock may have been a deterant in the 80s but I a world of battery power tools it's useless. Btw bet you keep the key to the disklock on your keys, if they steal your keys .......

Wrong on both counts, firstly, I was looking forward to learning more about this than I already know, but nothing new! Disk Lok like many other products acts as a deterrent in as much as it is time waster, and it has been said by people that know, to be quite a good deterrent. I certainly don't have the Disk Lok key on my car keys. Remember these cars can be dragged onto a transporter if need be so nothing will keep them 100% safe. I have only tried to lessen the likelihood of my car being taken. One other thing, I'd reckon that most of these cars get broken down into parts quite quickly after being taken, so any deeper anti theft devices will remain with the bits that have little value to these people. You can only do so much and I'm quite happy with the actions I've taken - as well as keeping that car out of sight when at home and not in use.

Reactions: Macdoon
Well for quite obvious reasons they are not going to tell you how to do it in a magazine. The obd side of it was a small part of the article, unless you only read the first page.

Your disk lock will slow them down for three minutes.

Your disk lock will slow them down for three minutes.
Which if the alarm is going off (blocked port) may well be long enough. Someone can ALWAYS take your car, it's just about minimising the likelihood.

No one even looks at an alarm going off these days. People rob banks with alarms going off. People smash the windows of jewerly stores with alarms ringing. Stealing an rs6 can make you 60k.
The alarm may have been turned off or not turned on ( jammed ) our cars are desirable to thieves.. you an make it by where they must bring a lorry to take it.

No one even looks at an alarm going off these days. People rob banks with alarms going off. People smash the windows of jewerly stores with alarms ringing. Stealing an rs6 can make you 60k.
The alarm may have been turned off or not turned on ( jammed ) our cars are desirable to thieves.. you an make it by where they must bring a lorry to take it.
Alarms are more effective where they are a rarity rather than the norm.

I'm looking to deter/stop the yobs who are going to joy ride it. Determined criminals who are after the car for money are going to take it anyway - if not on that night, on another. I have insurance for both cases if needed.

@Fctaff ..... why so negative toward members? It's all about using deterrents.... nothing will stop the determined thief!
I use a stop lock everyday.

Reactions: feva
@Fctaff ..... why so negative toward members? It's all about using deterrents.... nothing will stop the determined thief!
I use a stop lock everyday.

Let's think about this, oh maybe he contributed to that article?

My disappointment, I can't say annoyance as I did not buy that magazine, was that this article was mentioned earlier in the year as a "wait until you have read this article before deciding how best to protect your car" - I for one was genuinely interested in finding out what other security routes were more appropriate for that car, or VW group cars in general - and I do understand that there would be no in depth chat about how each system worked, but all I saw/read from that magazine was what most if not all of us on this forum are aware of already - hence my disappointment.

Reactions: Booboo
I'll tell you why I may seem negitive, everyone thinks they are an expert.. my mate said, I've been told. They then give poor advice. Poor advice really annoys me, it my pet hate.
He implied there was only a obd port lock in the article, that was untrue. People may have seen that and not bothered to read it. putting their car at risk. People are putting their faith in things that a thief laughs at.

If you see a doctor and he says you need surgery, then your mate says noooo eat ginger root. It's the same thing, these security products were attack tested. One was attacked for ten hours and still held firm, compare that to three minutes disk lock.
As for a small % my 993 was cloned, they used my plate and put it on stolen cars. They sold that car four times, getting retail price each time. Even if they get £5k it's more then the average bank raid for far less risk.

It makes no deference to me what so ever what anyone does to secure their cars. I just hate the thought of another one being taken needlessly. It's easy to look back and say I wish. As for insurance yes your insured but it will go up next year more the the cost of the unit to stop it being stolen.

Read it, don't read it. Buy them, don't buy them. It's your call but the information is there.

Nop, read it again at airport, does not change any of what I've written already, sorry, must try harder!

Does this affect models as far back as 2008? I.e is my 2008 Audi A5 vulnerable?

Ok thanks. Is there a link to said article anywhere btw? Would like to read.

Ok thanks. Is there a link to said article anywhere btw? Would like to read.

I don't think so, it was in the newish at that time Performance Audi magazine, so posting that content in a public area would not be very good for its hopefully growing circulation.

Reactions: the fatty
So agreeing with desertstorm above.

Fuse 7 on Fuse holder 1
Fuse 11 on Fuse holder 2

Sorry to bump an old thread... but...

I removed these 2 fuses on a B8.5 with B&O audio and immediately started getting crackling & popping from a speaker when theres any bass in a song.

Put fuses back in, same song on CD and speakers worked fine again?

Can anyone tell me which 2 fuses need removing to disable the OBD on an S3 8V? PM me so its not public information!

Attachments

• audi-a3-8v-2012-2018-fuse-box-interior-fuse-assignment-ea4f8.png
    audi-a3-8v-2012-2018-fuse-box-interior-fuse-assignment-ea4f8.png
    380.8 KB · Views: 99