Disable reverse light bulb out with vcds

dieseldoos

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Having now tried a variety of led reverse light bulbs in my 2012 Audi A6 c7, no matter what bulbs, cheap, expensive, error free can bus etc, my car always shows bulb out errors.

I have put the originals back, but prefer the look of the led bulbs, so can just the reverse bulbs be coded out with vcds?

How about working out the resistance of the original bulb and compare it to the resistance of the led bulb then putting a resistor in the circuit to mimic the original?

Reactions: Bugeye_bob
Could have a look on the vcds map. Most do it for a few beer chits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have VCDS and I am on the map, searched around the programme, tried a few things but couldnt find where (if anywhere), it could be done. Did similar on a 2009 A4 but the adaptions are a bit different with the A6 so I am yet to find where to change it.

I am not to clued up on electrical circuits etc regarding resistors, alltho I thought the error free canbus ones would work.

Lots of trial and error, but I worked it out in the end, all sorted now.

Module 46 Central Convenience > Security Access 16 > 16017 (You need to use this access code, NOT the one VCDS gives you - this was my first hold up).

I then took my bulbs out to see what adaption channels were changing.

Adaption 10 > Channel 181 >Read

Take note of the value you get, then convert that to decimal.

When I converted mine to decimal it comes out to 1111111111111111. Bits 8,9,10,11 code for the reverse lights (1111RLRL11111111) so when I converted them it becomes 1111000011111111. Convert that back to binary, enter the new number, test then save. All done.

ONLY The reverse light check are now disabled (all other bulbs are still checked).

Reactions: oli3, mattmanwrx, Bugeye_bob and 1 other person
I have a 2002 a4 avant I want to replace the halogens with leds, what light do u recommend

I wanted to make the same upgrate as above on my A6 4F Avant 2010, unfortunatelly I get error 35: Invalid key, when I enter the security access code 16017. Any idea what code should I use?

Thank you very much!!

If no one else have vcds and is familiar with electrical work (i.e. diagrams and wiring) I recommend relay installation with load resistor to solve led strobe.
Just done the number plate lights with that solution and computer bulb check does check them but see load resistor instead of leds. Inly when current to them is given, relay switches them on.

I am familiar with electrical work, but I would like to perform the same update also on the signal ligh bulbs. I do not think that a relay would be a good solution for this kind of signalization due to the amount of switching. The bulbs, which I have tried, do not have any errors, just when the control unit is performing a bulb check (approximately every 30s) the LED turn light flashes even with this low current. This can be very confusion for the car behind me.

I have leds all over the car and strobe from each and every one of them.
So far this has helped the number plate leds. Next are reverse as have the tailgate trim stripped already. Just waiting for parts to arrive.
Another member here has done it on the rear indicators and gave me tips of how to install and connect these for the front ones and front fogs.
Neat job and unless you want to, can avoid any connectors cutting.
He has bot reported any errors or problems with the relays on indicators as of yet and it’s been couple of weeks since he done it.

I don’t have access to vcds and been advised, it is impossible on A6 C6 to code this out so had to take other routes to solve the strobe.

I have leds all over the car and strobe from each and every one of them.
So far this has helped the number plate leds. Next are reverse as have the tailgate trim stripped already. Just waiting for parts to arrive.
Another member here has done it on the rear indicators and gave me tips of how to install and connect these for the front ones and front fogs.
Neat job and unless you want to, can avoid any connectors cutting.
He has bot reported any errors or problems with the relays on indicators as of yet and it’s been couple of weeks since he done it.

I don’t have access to vcds and been advised, it is impossible on A6 C6 to code this out so had to take other routes to solve the strobe.

How do you wire the relay and resistor? Where do you physically fit them? Any issues with the heat from the resistors?

Thanks

How do you wire the relay and resistor? Where do you physically fit them? Any issues with the heat from the resistors?

Thanks
Attached wiring diagram.
You can use either resistor or a small bulb. Enough for the canbus system to see any resistance close to the one from the bulb it is checking.

As I've used this on reverse ligjts, Ihave tucked all in the tailgate.
Once you remove all the trim, you'll see the space you can shove them in.
All secured with screws to the tailgate itself and close to the wiring loom.
Rattle avoided with cloth Tessa tape.

Funny thing with this is that, during the day, when light sensor switches all uneceseary lights off, relay/resistor combo will throw me a dash error as soon as I select a reverse gear. it will disable the light and stop lighting up. Drive off for a mile or two and select reverse again, both if the ligjts come in, still displaying error in the dash.
Switch off the ignition and turn it back on, all resets to normal.
If in shadow or at night, the whole combo works well and no error comes on.
In both cases, there is no flash every bulb check.

Found another solution (hopefully) to this, capacitor.
Wired in like a resistor and it prevents flashes with every canbus bulb check.
Got the parts already in, just need to get some time to try them in.

Will update my post about it, once had a chance and you can also check it out to get an idea how I went about it on my car
31bfbc2a30f43c95bb83012ef2654c3f.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

Thanks KrisKrk. Using a bulb as parallel resistor sounds like a great idea, as you give the canbus the resistance expected (plus a little bit from the LED).

The intermittent non-working reverse light issue you describe would worry me more than the test flash, as it could cause an MOT fail...

As people fitting a resistor in parallel to the bulb have not mentioned this problem, I wonder if the new issue is caused by adding the relay... are you grounding the resistor on the same ground cable as the bulb or just to the body? Just guessing that the canbus test may be measuring resistance between the 2 terminals fitted to the bulb...

Thanks again

Module 46 Central Convenience > Security Access 16 > 16017 (You need to use this access code, NOT the one VCDS gives you - this was my first hold up).

I then took my bulbs out to see what adaption channels were changing.

Adaption 10 > Channel 181 >Read

Take note of the value you get, then convert that to decimal.

When I converted mine to decimal it comes out to 1111111111111111. Bits 8,9,10,11 code for the reverse lights (1111RLRL11111111) so when I converted them it becomes 1111000011111111. Convert that back to binary, enter the new number, test then save. All done.

ONLY The reverse light check are now disabled (all other bulbs are still checked).

You sir are a legend! Thank you!

Original value for me was 65535. I set it to 61695 which is the decimal equivalent to the binary with the reverse bulb check disabled.