DIS Fault or Issue (maybe)

wilko

Top Gear
Reaction score
Driving home from work last night and the warning sign for my left break light came on. Which I thought yep ok fine thats simple to sort out, do it later. But then a few minutes later the warning sign for my right break light came on (just before I was about to get on the motorway - great!). So me being me carried on driving but just made sure no one came near me (lucky for me the motorway was empty) but thinking sh!t I have no brake lights - I hate other drivers who don't have any idea that they don't have working brake lights, it does my head in. So the thought of me doing it annoys me. Anyway... Then when stopping at the exit of the motorway the warning lights went off. How strange. Kept pressing the brake pedel trying to make it happen again to see if the bulbs had gone, but everything was fine. Both bulbs are fine and I've had nothing since.

Has anyone had this (or anything similar)?

Thought about ringing the dealer today to see if they can check it out for me... not sure tho. Any comments? Anything to worry about?

Had this once when switching on my front lights (Xenons too!). Said the driver's side was not working. Switched lights off and on again, all fine and it has never happened again.

I'll give that a try Eeef at the weekend, thanks mate.

Have you sold your a3 yet chap?

I had that about a year ago, both brake lights failed in the space of a few days. (You should still have had your high brake light btw). They also "came and went" a few times before going completely. One of the bulbs had definitely gone so I replaced it but when it went again a day later I knew something was up.

Dealer checked it and said that both bulbs were gone but more importantly water had got into the housing which was causing the problem. They cleaned it all out and replaced the bulbs and it's been fine ever since. Apparently this can happen when water gets in between the bodywork and the top of the light assembly as the seal isn't very tight.

No sorry mate just wondered...

I'm gonna have um out and replace both bulbs this weekend and check the seals etc... thanks guys.