Direct Line Insurance

audiracer

Reaction score
Any of you guys had trouble with them??

Up untill now I have been singing their praises as a good company to be insured with but after my light front end bump before christmas my car is still not sorted out correctly.

The garage that had my car took almost 5 weeks to repair the front end, all it needed was a new rad, fan, 2 front lights +1 indicator, bonnet, bumper and numberplate. When I got my car back they had not fitted the bonnet properly, broken my accelerator pedal, fitted the old damaged indicator and tried cleaning my chrome wheels with an abrasive pad of some sort.

My car went back to them to be sorted out again, this time they fitted a new indicator and pedal but had my car for 3 weeks, my wheels are still not sorted and I have had the realign the catch on my bonnet myself.

I did get £60 back from my insurance company as compensation as the garage sprayed my car the wrong colour the frist time in went in.

As you might tell I am a tad pi$$ed off and will be looking for a new insurer this year.

Bud

Surely it's the fault of the bodyshop? What made you choose that bodyshop? I had an altercation with a dizzy mum on the school run a few years back, and had no problems with Direct-Line. Then again, I did have the work done by an Audi bodyshop, so I didn't expect to have any issues.

dont direct line have their own workshops ???? I think my dad had a car done there and he had nowt but bother getting the repair done right :(

They do have their own/recommended bodyshops, but you're not forced to use them. They do try to scare you into using theirs saying things like "You will have to settle the bill yourself and submit the invoice to Direct-Line for re-imbursement" etc.... but I took it to Audi and they sorted all the paperwork and invoiced Direct-Line directly. Audi also provided me with a courtesy car foc, which is an "extra" with direct-line.

Yes, sounds like th issue is with the bodyshop not Direct Line. You choose who does the work, not the insurer, and if they can't even get the colour right then I'd question their abilities to fit a number plate let alone replace panels.

I ask for my car to be sent to an Audi bodyshop, but Direct Line said that they had chosen one of their approved repairers and arranged for the car to be collected

Well they would of course, but you don't have to agree with them. They bank on the fact that most people will just accept their recommendation and scare you off using anyone else by saying it'll take longer, and their inspector will have to check the damage etc etc. But ultimately you are entitled to use your own choice of bodyshop.

You'll have to put this one down to experience I'm afraid. But, I find Direct-Line a good enough insurer to be fair, it's just unfortunate that you were unaware of the ins and outs of your cover as laid out in your insurance terms and conditions. So, don't discount Direct-Line too quickly, pretty much every insurance company has their own list of repairers and will use different methods of trying to get you to use them.

I hope you get you're wheels sorted, don't give up, keep on their case to get things put right to your satisfaction.

I was insured by Direct Line until February this year.

I found them painful to be honest.

Anyway, was insured with them for 6 years, no claims so no problems......Then a bloke ran into the back of me at some lights. He admitted liability and so we swapped insurance and went on our way.

1, Direct Line tried to insist I used an approved Direct Line bodyshop 30 miles away although I found out there was one 5 miles away. They didn`t have it on their list until I got them to fax Direct Line. They are a nightmare to talk to, they have different departments in different cities so you are constantly making calls to try and get answers.

2, The other bloke was insured with Zurich, they were a complete joy. Easy to talk to, honest, prompt and efficient.

Needless to say, I`m not with Direct Line anymore, there performance was dire when I was not to blame, I dread to think what they are like when the brown stuff hits the fan for real.

Ive used Directline for a while, had two claims which were both sorted promptly and I was allowed to choose a place to take it to. Ive found them cheaper and they give a 10% discount on your insurance if someone else at the same house uses them too.