Dippy's S5

You're not missing much @jdp1962. From memory Basingstoke Audi is handy for Go Outdoors and Lidl but is nowhere near the town centre (not that there's much to see there either - usual shops you find anywhere in the country). :D

Reactions: V6_Man and jdp1962
Jeff, remind me exactly what happened during your previous bad car care experience with Audi Bexley. Did they damage something?

Audi Basingstoke clearly cared well for my S5...

So now my 24DP recall is done and there is no danger of my engine catching fire (?)
Audi Basingstoke have again done well,

I'm glad it went well Dippy. You fared better than I did when I had the recall work done in April.

I gave the dealership I used written instructions (one copy to the service desk and one copy left in the car) about my Stage 2 pulley, 1325 belt and rerouted fuel hose and explicitly not to update or overwrite my remap, so I thought I had covered the bases to avoid issues.

Unfortunately I couldn't do anything about the clumsy mechanic who badly scratched the engine bulkhead, my carbon fibre intake pipe and the silver rocker box cover.

I didn't spot the damage until the following day so I was angry that they didn't own up to it when I collected the car. Having said that, they didn't quibble when I raised it as a formal complaint to the General Manager. All was then put right, to my satisfaction, at their cost but I had to do without the car for a couple of days in a body shop.

I stopped using the main dealer a couple of years ago but obviously had no choice for 24DP. Like you, I'll continue to have faith in and give my business to my local indy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: jdp1962
Maybe I have been lucky with Audi Basingstoke. I can imagine what happened to Jeff happening anywhere. Its one of the reasons why I wouldn't go to Audi Reading when they were at their old site and the parking was always abysmal.

I had thought that my last visit to a dealer was for the warranty replacement of my headlight washer jet. Then came this damn recall. Let's hope there are no more recalls now!

Reactions: Meemo and V6_Man
Just did a VCDS scan. No repeat of the previous coolant DTC, and the coolant levels are fine in the tank so it looks good. Car is performing as well as before. According to https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ there are no outstanding safety recalls on my car. I can now forget about 24DP (other than follow Jeff's saga :))

I updated the FW on my FIS-Control MMI which was not so easy because I forgot how to do it. The latest version includes WhatsApp and email notification support. I don't use WhatsApp but I was hoping for the email notifications and maybe SMS notifications, but so far I am not getting anything. Maybe Stefan can do something to make it work...

Reactions: V6_Man and Meemo
Hopefully its coming. I just gave Stefan the info he needed to integrate my SMS and e-mail apps. I'll most appreciate it for the texts that my daughters send whilst I'm driving - they never seem to consider that since I'm driving (to pick the up from somewhere) I won't see the text and they need to phone instead!

Reactions: V6_Man
It works. Now if I get a text or email whilst driving, it is displayed on the MMI screen. Brings my B8 a bit more up to date compared to the latest cars.

@Dippy I am considering buying the FIS unit for my S4 DP to monitor the usual items. How do you feel it’s working ? Need something to monitor those IATs etc. Also I’m a bit of a novice with electrics, would you assist an old man in fitting it?

@joedredd did you read my post #122 on p4 of this thread? It's "plug and play" so no ability with electrics really needed to install. I'd say the hard bit is configuring it so IT skills needed more. But yes I can help.

You need to be sure that your ECU appears on the dataset on this webpage: https://fis-control.de/mmi.html
If not you'll need to contact Stefan.

Reactions: joedredd and V6_Man
@joedredd did you read my post #122 on p4 of this thread? It's "plug and play" so no ability with electrics really needed to install. I'd say the hard bit is configuring it so IT skills needed more. But yes I can help.

You need to be sure that your ECU appears on the dataset on this webpage: https://fis-control.de/mmi.html
If not you'll need to contact Stefan.

Yes I did read that post and does seem pretty straight forward. You can blame Tash for putting me onto you lol. I’ll double check ECU before committing.

You never know you may even get both of us at once, lucky you lol

In my dashcam installation post I detailed the problems that dashcams can cause to DAB reception. I also noted how I made my own camera extension cable with right-angled plug to neaten the appearance at the camera.

However since then I have got into the practise of turning off the camera at home. This is because I keep my car in my garage which is integral to the house and covered by our security system. So having the dashcam recording the inside of the door and the garage rear wall during parking mode was pointless and I decided that if its regular drain on the battery could just shorten its life I might as well stop it. Due to the position of the camera behind the mirror, turning it off using the on/off button wasn't possible so I did it by pulling the power plug.

But it seems that by regularly pulling and reinserting the power plug I must have nudged the camera plug and over the years this has made those tiny spring connectors in the mini-USB plug flatten with the result that the rear camera started to have intermittent connection. Then recently I had the need to download some video from the dashcam and found that there was no video from the rear camera at all. So I had to fix it. I decided that I didn't want to make another extension cable, especially because my 50+ old eyes just can't cope with those tiny solder connections any more. Also (as I should expect) my concern about the appearance of the plugs has weathered over the years. So I just grabbed the various mini-USB extension cables I had experimented with back then, and chose the one I felt had the most secure connection. This one meant that I had to re-route the cables to the front of the camera rather than behind it.

And to the point of the post, I later decided to switch back from FM to DAB to see if there was any difference. Expecting it to still cut out due to the dashcam I was surprised to find that the reception was good. I was even getting reception in my garage, whereas I hadn't before.

Well it finally happened...

...my car did not survive the latest encounter with a pothole.

For anyone in my area, watch out at the 2nd roundabout on the A40 at Holtspur heading towards High Wycombe. There was an almighty thud which set of the shock sensor on my dashcam. I continued for a bit - the car was steering fine but there was a lot of road noise, but of course the road hasn't been resurfaced in the last 100 years so that wasn't much of a surprise. However when the yellow light came on I had to face the truth and find a quiet road with a good street light. I am glad I did find a well lit area because I haven't had to do an emergency wheel change on this car before. I was concerned to make sure I jacked it right so as not to damage the body. It took me a while to find where the damn crank handle for the jack was. But other than that it was an easy job. I was surprised to see that the space-saver needs 4.2bar/61psi so I am glad that I keep a compressor in the boot.

Fortunately the wheel was OK. Just a smallish nick on the very edge of the rim. There are a few chips on the wheels after nearly 5 years of use so I'm not too worried and won't bother getting it fixed. It's not easy to notice, not like when the wheel is kerbed. But I did have to pay for 2 new Michelin PS4S tyres and the alignment needed fixing. So now I have a spare tyre with 10 months wear. Slightly annoying is the fact that when I got the 4 new tyres 10 months ago I got the "limited edition" ones with velvet effect wall. I don't care about such bling but it wasn't important at the time. But now my front tyres have the plain wall and the rears have the velvet effect. Thanks Michelin. What's the point on having a limited edition for tyres?

ah nooo that is a nightmare! the tyres side wall thing would drive me mad too :)

Same thing happened just a bit further away to our Mini (daily driver), hit a pothole near Bracknell and it bent the wheel, took out a chunk of tyre and shock/drop link is definitely dead. Partner said it felt like he had just had a crash lol

Are you able to go on the council website and submit a claim? I know my partner has but admittedly had nothing back a month later, however you have dash cam footage as evidence!

Thanks for the sympathy. Based on your thread I think yes it would drive you mad but I am being honest - for me it is only slightly annoying. In general I only get mad at myself but not at the **** that happens by chance. If I kerb a wheel (which I have not on this car) then I would be mad. But the slight nick in my wheel and the difference in appearance of the sidewalls of the tyres are out of my control so why worry?

Frankly its the same with trying to claim. The whole country is riddled with potholes and they have just become a hazard. I have read enough reports that whilst claiming for pothole damage is possible, it is not necessarily easy. I believe I'd need to go back there and take photos of the pothole? Yes the dashcam video will help, but its not proof on its own. Then I'd claim for 2 tyres but immediately I'd expect them to refuse because it was still my choice to replace both fronts because it is really only a recommendation to do so and not an absolute necessity. So if I was to claim for just one tyre then I'm looking at about £200 and to me that's not enough for me to go to the effort and hassle. Possibly it is the results of having to finance 2 teenage daughters - I usually give in rather than face the mental strain of arguing. :(

Reactions: Meemo
I washed the cars this weekend and gave the damaged wheel and extra clean. With the dirt gone the small dent on the edge of the rim looked better but it was still fairly obvious. However since the car is coming up to 5 years I told myself to forget about it. But my OCD brain was arguing with itself so I made a deal: When I park the car back in the garage, if the area of the dent was inaccessible I would do nothing, but if it was accessible then I would have a go at improving it. That way the odds were I would do nothing and I could tell my OCD to **** off!

Once the car was back in the garage I saw that the dent was possibly in the most accessible place - so my OCD won. Nevertheless I only spent about 30 mins on it. I used fine file to reduce the metal down the the deepest part of the dent so it disappeared, and now I had a shiny area about 2-3 cm long instead of the dent. It didn't look too bad. Then I went at it with sandpaper (3000, 2500 and 2000 grade) before finishing of with some Britemax black max ultra fine polishing compound and then the all-in-one polish. I was fairly pleased by the result. Probably **** by many people's standards but most importantly it will stop me worrying about it now.

Reactions: Meemo
Last night on the M4 just after heavy rain started my TPMS warning came up again. I was on the section that they are turning into a smart motorway so I wasn't going to stop, but fortunately I wasn't too far from J10 so I pulled over on the slip road. Whilst the wind tried to rip my umbrella away I checked the tyre pressures and they were all OK! So I found somewhere to stop again in Winnersh and I reset the TPMS. I continued my journey with no further problems. So I did a VCDS scan today and there was a DTC on the ABS module, but it just corresponded to when I had a genuine tyre pressure problem 3 weeks ago after the pothole. I cleared it and checked the pressures - still all OK. So this baffles me.

Side note: Paid for access to the Erwin workshop manuals. The magnetic supercharger clutch has a diagnostic adaptation requirement after any removal or reinstallation.

Wonder if this is something that needs to be done or is valuable with non standard pulley ratios.

From Erwin:

Perform adaption for magnetic clutch after removing and installing/renewing:
• Vehicle diagnostic tester must be connected.
– Selecting operating mode.
– Using Go To button and “Function/component selection” func‐
tion, select the following in succession from tree:
♦ 01 - Engine, self-diagnosis compatible systems
♦ Functions
♦ 01 - Compressor clutch adaption

More excellent service by MDM Technik for my 5 year service including the sports diff.

Those who have taken interest in the FIS-Control MMI that I fitted might be interested that the firmware has been developed further. Now it allows 5 pages of measurements which can be selected with the roller on the steering wheel. In my case my ECU only allows 8 measurements per page, but now I have ready access to up to 40 values, 3 of which are also shown in the gauges screen.

Someone has also replicated the latest Audi virtual cockpit gauges for FIS-Control MMI, and the firmware has been adapted to allow for the display of the measurement as large digits in the middle of each gauge. It also has an option to sweep the needles at start-up. Unfortunately the background and needle files for this are not available yet...

Reactions: Darren McDonnell and V6_Man
Those who have taken interest in the FIS-Control MMI that I fitted might be interested that the firmware has been developed further. Now it allows 5 pages of measurements which can be selected with the roller on the steering wheel. In my case my ECU only allows 8 measurements per page, but now I have ready access to up to 40 values, 3 of which are also shown in the gauges screen.

Someone has also replicated the latest Audi virtual cockpit gauges for FIS-Control MMI, and the firmware has been adapted to allow for the display of the measurement as large digits in the middle of each gauge. It also has an option to sweep the needles at start-up. Unfortunately the background and needle files for this are not available yet...

Thanks for the update @Dippy. It is one of those things on my to-do list but other things keep getting added up in front. Maybe when the COVID madness is over, I’ll look at getting it along with Merc Cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks Good and Something I keep looking at too, you can never have to much info ;)

The graphics for the gti virtual cockpit are now available for FIS-Control MMI so I'll have a go and see if I can get a version going on my S5.

I didn't think I would, but I put the effort to customise the virtual cockpit background for my S5. I'll take some photos to upload - it would be great to get feedback on my design.

Went out for a drive today and realised that I made some simple errors so 2 of the gauges weren't working correctly. However one was OK and it was enough to convince me that I do prefer the VC schema over traditional gauges. But I also decided that the background wasn't quite right - I need to adjust the font sizes and some colours. So I'll do that before taking and posting pics.

One of my tables is for misfires. Occasionally I see 1 or 2 in one of the cylinders. It also shows the total count and it seems that I have had 148 misfires in total over the car's life (just over 5 years). I haven't watched it enough, but I think the misfires are only happening when I really "use" my stage 2 tune. I read a bit on the web and I understand that the occasional misfire is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: HTB
Well I have found out how bad my video camera is for taking close-up stills in my car. Strange because it takes videos and photos fine elsewhere. But they are OK for the purpose.
S5 FCM gauges 1

S5 FCM gauges 2

S5 FCM gauges 3

S5 FCM gauges 4

S5 FCM gauges 5

S5 FCM table 1

S5 FCM table 2

S5 FCM table 3

S5 FCM table 4

S5 FCM table 5

There's a new firmware update which allows each table to access a specific control module. I'll see if I can get my TCU enabled, although I'm not sure what measurements the TCU has of interest.

Interesting thread, just read it from the start!

looking at the fis-control website it doesn't list the b8 (or b8.5) platform as compatible? Though syaing that I have a GTR and never really look at any of the screens that has to offer other than the G Meter when trying to scare people who have never been in one :)

My TCU is now enabled but at first glance there doesn't seem a great deal of interest to look at apart from ATF temperature. Nevertheless I think at some point I'll change table 5 to monitor a set of 8 TCU measurements.