Dilemma - B9 S4 or B8 RS4

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
£71k for the same spec as my car... No thanks.

I'd maybe be willing to pay that if it had the carbon bits and the carbon ceramic brakes, but those would take it up by another £12-13k!

got to £73k, but as you say with none of the carbon nice bits that you would want. so is it worth almost £20k more then an S4. might be tempted to get a used one in a few years depending on pricing..

Reactions: Daggerit and Thundercliffe81
£71k for the same spec as my car... No thanks.

I'd maybe be willing to pay that if it had the carbon bits and the carbon ceramic brakes, but those would take it up by another £12-13k!

Hard to accept isn't it? Folding mirrors guys. An option. Cannot fathom it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to accept isn't it? Folding mirrors guys. An option. Cannot fathom it.

I had to do a double take as well for the mirrors, but I think it's actually ones with the memory function as folding mirrors are actually listed in the standard exterior equipment... :)

I'd rather buy an RS6 with this amount of money so, no thank you!

Reactions: Daggerit and Thundercliffe81
I had to do a double take as well for the mirrors, but I think it's actually ones with the memory function as folding mirrors are actually listed in the standard exterior equipment... :)

Get right outta town?! Really? Go Audi...catching up haha

Reactions: Daggerit
I'd rather buy an RS6 with this amount of money so, no thank you!

100% with you on that one...

To be honest for the range topping A4 with a £61k list you might think dynamic front and rear lights would be standard, there's some wallet-withering prices on the options list too:-

RS Sport suspension plus with Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) £2,000
Dynamic steering £950
RS Sport exhaust system £1,200
Ceramic brakes £6,000
Top speed restriction increase to 174mph* £1,450
RS Matrix LED headlights with LED rear lights and dynamic front and rear indicators £850
Carbon door mirrors £1,200
Carbon Black Styling Pack £5,000

Reactions: V6_Man, Thundercliffe81 and Daggerit
You could buy a brand new reasonable daily driver with 13k....the options costs are crazy once added up. I think when you buy an RS there shouldn't be any options other than colours inside and out and wheel choice both with no xtra cost....everything else should come as standard!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and NickGun
You could buy a brand new reasonable daily driver with 13k....the options costs are crazy once added up. I think when you buy an RS there shouldn't be any options other than colours inside and out and wheel choice both with no xtra cost....everything else should come as standard!

Without getting into a used vs new debate, you could pick up a leggy (90k miles+) but still rather lovely, not to mention rapid, 2010 B8 S4 Avant for £11-£12k, which is the price of the Carbon Black pack and Ceramic brakes on a new RS4 - scary...

Last edited:
Reactions: V6_Man and Thundercliffe81
100% with you on that one...

To be honest for the range topping A4 with a £61k list you might think dynamic front and rear lights would be standard, there's some wallet-withering prices on the options list too:-

RS Sport suspension plus with Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) £2,000
Dynamic steering £950
RS Sport exhaust system £1,200
Ceramic brakes £6,000
Top speed restriction increase to 174mph* £1,450
RS Matrix LED headlights with LED rear lights and dynamic front and rear indicators £850
Carbon door mirrors £1,200
Carbon Black Styling Pack £5,000

Definitely agree with you. Things like the the exhaust, suspension and top speed restriction should be no cost options I think. Especially as the top speed restriction is just software!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and NickGun
Definitely agree with you. Things like the the exhaust, suspension and top speed restriction should be no cost options I think. Especially as the top speed restriction is just software!

Totally, carbon ceramic brakes and carbon bits are always expensive extras, but still you could very easily throw an extra £20k+ in options on a B9 RS4 :fearscream:

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Daggerit
Totally, carbon ceramic brakes and carbon bits are always expensive extras, but still you could very easily throw an extra £20k+ in options on a B9 RS4 :fearscream:

Agree with all of you lads.

@DeanoC has said it best. It's a cash cow. I honestly think (and I know Audi is a business) that they cater for new, young, Instagram money rather than enthusiasts and people that love the brand.

Audi Sport just feels like it's all surface and no substance/soul. For example, the old V10 RS6 was a sheer lump. But it had a flipping lambo V10 and balls about it. So is it up on the configurator? Or just the PDF? Gonna go take a look and make myself sad haha.

Reactions: V6_Man, NickGun and Daggerit
Agree with all of you lads.

@DeanoC has said it best. It's a cash cow. I honestly think (and I know Audi is a business) that they cater for new, young, Instagram money rather than enthusiasts and people that love the brand.

Audi Sport just feels like it's all surface and no substance/soul. For example, the old V10 RS6 was a sheer lump. But it had a flipping lambo V10 and balls about it. So is it up on the configurator? Or just the PDF? Gonna go take a look and make myself sad haha.

Not on configurator yet, just spent 2mins with a calculator and got to £89,620 with extras from list price of £61,625, that wasn't all options either, no extended warranty - so thats £28k in extras...

Good business if you can get it for Audi but madness in the real world.

Reactions: V6_Man
So.

Had a look through the PDF and wow. Carbon packs are a joke. Same as RS5. Would STILL need to pay an extra £1200 to get carbon wing mirrors!!

No separate option for B&O, still a 58L tank and only colour I'd have is an Exclusive. Well in Audi. Launch the car in Nogaro Pearl and then take it away.

Go used on these. No Audi contribution either. Cheapest I got it to was £69,465. Carbon inlays are double what they were on my B9 S4. It's the same ****** trim!!

I'm actually quite glad. 100% getting the B8 now. Then the C7 RS6 in a few years. There will be zero regrets.

Gorgeous design, Nogaro 'would' have been awesome and it'll shift. But they've lost their soul.

One of the reasons one changes platform on these cars is because of the change in power output as well delivery. I am not just for cosmetic changes, which is what this RS4 feels like. 450ps and 600Nm of Torque, an S4 can produce it for half the price or perhaps less than that.

For this amount of money I believe Merc and BMW have done a tremendous job. I would like to put this RS against a C63 AMG S (503bhp) or an M3 and it will put the new RS to shame. Not something which would be pleasing to an Audi enthusiast like me.

One of the reasons I bought an Audi is because I don't like Mercs and BMW (just personal preference) and the reason for buying an S4 wasn't just the options it offered but the tunning potential of a supercharged V6 engine. Same goes to B8.5 RS4.

Nothing has changed in this RS yet everything has. From naturally aspirated V8 to 2.9 ltr V6 turbocharged engine imho the car has lost its soul, completely!!! And I wouldn't need to test drive one to prove that I am wrong.

I have a lot of respect for the RS and would never put mine against a B7 or 8 or 8.5 but trust me every time I see a B9 RS on the road, I will make sure the guy driving one regrets buying one

For those lucky of you who own an RS4 7/8/8.5 if I was you I wouldn't be selling it, I'll be keeping it. It's 'The Last of the Mohicans'!!!

One of the reasons one changes platform on these cars is because of the change in power output as well delivery. I am not just for cosmetic changes, which is what this RS4 feels like. 450ps and 600Nm of Torque, an S4 can produce it for half the price or perhaps less than that.

For this amount of money I believe Merc and BMW have done a tremendous job. I would like to put this RS against a C63 AMG S (503bhp) or an M3 and it will put the new RS to shame. Not something which would be pleasing to an Audi enthusiast like me.

One of the reasons I bought an Audi is because I don't like Mercs and BMW (just personal preference) and the reason for buying an S4 wasn't just the options it offered but the tunning potential of a supercharged V6 engine. Same goes to B8.5 RS4.

Nothing has changed in this RS yet everything has. From naturally aspirated V8 to 2.9 ltr V6 turbocharged engine imho the car has lost its soul, completely!!! And I wouldn't need to test drive one to prove that I am wrong.

I have a lot of respect for the RS and would never put mine against a B7 or 8 or 8.5 but trust me every time I see a B9 RS on the road, I will make sure the guy driving one regrets buying one

For those lucky of you who own an RS4 7/8/8.5 if I was you I wouldn't be selling it, I'll be keeping it. It's 'The Last of the Mohicans'!!!

Hahaha.

Bang on mate. Last of the Dinobots! Progress seems to have become compromise. I know the B5 was a twin turbo V6. I get that.

But, you're right...the C63 has a turbo V8 from the 6.2 NA it used to have. Yet it still sounds so good. As I said before, B9 RS4 pulls up beside a B8. You rev...he revs...you win.

People buying a performance, range topping car, do not care about mpg. If you do, you buy the S4 and you're getting a fantastic daily car. Just right

Beginning of the end I'm afraid. Audi leading the way in this segment. Weening us off petrol and combustion. Suits me just fine. Used market for next 10 years Going to be some great cars on it.

Anybody thinking of getting one??

Reactions: V6_Man
Tbh, my next car is definitely going to be an RS6. S4 is the first semi-performance car that I have ever owned and the decision to buying one was purely down to understanding the car and its mechanics first before moving up the ladder. Also, wanted to find out how good a driver I was and whether or not I had the patience and heart (read balls ) to drive a performance car. I am not saying I am ready, I am still learning and want to learn more. And it's not about driving fast but driving sensibly. Won't buy a performance car just because I can afford one but because I can drive one - simples!!!

Completely agree with you re: economy. No one buys these cars for mpg, for economy I have a diesel A4 .

I can't put the video up because it's incriminating and well......it would make anyone with an S car dribble but I launched my RS4 B8 off the lights with a TTRS (10plate) behind and honestly I disappeared, left a tyre mark on the white line for good measure, it was ****** quick....had an SQ5 which has more low end torque but the RS far more the face ripper I didn't know I was driving....fantastic! btw after receiving my car back from having the pano cassette replaced it was retired with black grease marks all over the interior with damage to rear of seat and rear pillar panel ( oyster interior) and had under inflated warning light.... took car to my tyre guy and he pulled out a VAG trim screw, wonder where that came from.....of course I'm in discussions with centre manager and Audi UK

I can't put the video up because it's incriminating and well......it would make anyone with an S car dribble but I launched my RS4 B8 off the lights with a TTRS (10plate) behind and honestly I disappeared, left a tyre mark on the white line for good measure, it was ****** quick....had an SQ5 which has more low end torque but the RS far more the face ripper I didn't know I was driving....fantastic! btw after receiving my car back from having the pano cassette replaced it was retired with black grease marks all over the interior with damage to rear of seat and rear pillar panel ( oyster interior) and had under inflated warning light.... took car to my tyre guy and he pulled out a VAG trim screw, wonder where that came from.....of course I'm in discussions with centre manager and Audi UK

Jeezo man.

Hearing about these things from more and more folk lately.

You still should have recorded your launch. I'm happy to dribble all over the floor! TTRS is quick too, man. I'm a little bit surprised actually.

Reactions: Keef and V6_Man
Jeezo man.

Hearing about these things from more and more folk lately.

You still should have recorded your launch. I'm happy to dribble all over the floor! TTRS is quick too, man. I'm a little bit surprised actually.

It's recorded alright....

In fairness to the TTRS he couldn't leave with me as he was being courteous to the other drivers (it's an Audi thing ) but his reaction on his dash was "wow......wow......hahahaha)

In fairness to the TTRS he couldn't leave with me as he was being courteous to the other drivers (it's an Audi thing ) but his reaction on his dash was "wow......wow......hahahaha)

Haha. Yeah I do t know why we have such a bad wrap, I'm very courteous. Karma

Tbh, it's not even about speed. It's the theatre of that V8 launching and revving so high. Which brings it back to the B9. It will be exceptional at putting its power down and will handle far better. But that theatre has gone, I fear.

Reactions: Daggerit and V6_Man
DM'd you

It's harsh man, harsh on the TTRS guy. Would love to see his expressions hahaha.

Tbh, I would be hesitant doing it to another Audi, to a Merc and BMW - all day long .

Like I did it this Sunday to a C43. He didn't realise I was running 480ps and can do a 0-60 in 3.5 secs

Reactions: RS4B8LYF and Thundercliffe81
It's harsh man, harsh on the TTRS guy. Would love to see his expressions hahaha.

Tbh, I would be hesitant doing it to another Audi, to a Merc and BMW - all day long .

Like I did it this Sunday to a C43. He didn't realise I was running 480ps and can do a 0-60 in 3.5 secs

I’ve just called it on with an M3 comp V8 NA don’t know what I’ve just done

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and V6_Man
RS4 is not out yet but already bringing out a carbon addition. 10k extra!!!

http://www.evo.co.uk/audi/20073/aud...s-bring-aesthetic-upgrades-to-flagship-models
Good if you was planning to spec a lot of that stuff but still silly money! Now the price list is out i can see to match my B8 spec it's £77,600 without carbon or 81k with. They are going to have to work voodoo magic on the GFVs to bring that in a competive range for pcp'ers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS4B8LYF
Configurator has rs5 carbon edition. Wheels are better but still getting into silly money as still need to add more options.

EDB31990 13B5 466D 8B0F 37919745E2D2

Reactions: DeanoC
I have no words.

It's like i said mate. Fan bois only need apply. 10k extra for some carbin dressing and wheels amd exhuast etc. that should be standard.

I'm off to view a B8 next week!!

They know nothing, I’ll ruin the M3

My bro in laws e92 was a smidge quicker than my B8 in straight line. In capable hands (not his) it would destroy it on the twisties.

It's like i said mate. Fan bois only need apply. 10k extra for some carbin dressing and wheels amd exhuast etc. that should be standard.

I'm off to view a B8 next week!!

Have you thought about the RS6. Am thinking more and more that will be what I will got for after the S4.