Dilemma... 2.0 tfsi quattro or S4

Nham68

Reaction score
Hi there, looking to move back to Audi from BMW. Just pricing up an a4 2.0 tfsi Quattro and an S4.

Also a move back to Petrol ... Time to ditch the diesel,

Anyone out there comment on the performance of the 2.0 tfsi ? I'm coming from an x3 3.0d .. is it punchy, pretty fast - what is the sound like ?

How relaxing is the S4 ? I love the look of it , can get a great deal on it , just wondering how much attention it draws to itself...I don't like to stick out , don't want to attract boy racers either .

Any owner experiences greatly appreciated ... gonna order either one within the week (carwow quotes all in now...)

Cheers Nham68

I drove a 2009 2.0TFSI A5 for a couple of years and my mine gripe was wheel spin. Power was OK, but was after quattro and bit more oomph so looked at ordering a new 2.0TFSI quattro (252PS).

However....I then found I could get an S5 with more stuff on it for only a little bit more on finance....I then test drive one and realised the power differential is massive, but the VED (bit of a moot point now with the changes) and MPG was very similar.

Chose the S5 and never regretted it. I have a pretty 'loud' S5, given that I chose Sepang Blue, but even still I don't attract much attention at all. In a black or grey, it's basically indistinguishable. Some hate that the S/RS don't stand out from the standard models, but I'm like you and I prefer the subtle presence.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: Keef, V6_Man and Daggerit
I had the same kind of dilemma and although I could easily justify getting the 2.0 instead of the S4, I didn't.

The S4 finance worked out better for me than the 2.0 when I optioned out the car and I got additional kit (massaging seats anyone?!) that you can't get in the 2.0 as well. For me it was a no brainier when I would be paying the same amount each month essentially.

For the boy racer aspect, I don't think that you could get much lower profile in a fairly powerful car to be honest. I took the S4 badge delete option for just that reason. At first glance you wouldn't tell it apart from the 2.0 but if you look closer and see the S4 only alloys, quad exhausts or the big red callipers then you know. But it takes a car person to know that, which I like.

In the end, try them both and work out what's important to you and what you can afford - then hit the buy it now button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Keef, V6_Man and DrEskimo
Pretty much posted the same thoughts there huh DrEskimo?! Haha.

Reactions: DrEskimo
Pretty much posted the same thoughts there huh DrEskimo?! Haha.

Haha yup!

Never underestimate the power of man maths.....

Reactions: Sandra, Daggerit and V6_Man
Not sure if one coming from a B8.5 owner would count here or not but there is no harm in commenting so, here is my two penn'orth.

IMO, it is a slightly odd comparison to be had. A 2.0 tfsi is no match to the power and the oomph of an S4. But then it also depends on what one is looking at for the money one pays for their toys. @DrEskimo and @Daggerit have pretty much said what needs to be said.
Money wise, there is very little difference. Comfort wise there is a lot imho. 2.0 will be quick but won't be fast. S4 will be quick, fast and you can write all sorts of superlatives but don't think words alone justify and therefore explain what S4 is all about.
It is not an M3 or C63 AMG but it doesn't need to be one - for them we have MRC/APR .
In a nutshell, if the difference in monthly payments is say £20-£40 I'd rather pay the premium and be a bit different on the road.
In the end, isn't this what we all work for in our lives. What's the point in enjoying it when you are about to retire. When I get to that age I want to be able to look back and say, I'd fun with the money I earned at an age where it meant the most.

Reactions: Sandra, Daggerit and J305
As above, by the time you've spec'ed what you want on the 2.0 you might as well buy the S4 :)

Reactions: Sandra, Keef, Daggerit and 1 other person
6 cyls v 4 cyls. Only one winner IMO.

Reactions: zippster, Spaceman_RS3, Daggerit and 1 other person
Totally agree with the above but I guess it boils down to money.

I do about 20k miles per year so the sensible choice should be a diesel or lesser powered patrol, however, I work hard, enjoy my cars so getting an S4, I don't want to look back and regret not enjoying every mile I do, however it shouldn't be at the expense of getting into money troubles if you simply can't afford the S4 or running costs.

Good luck in whatever decision you make, the A/S4 are great cars, I certainly can't wait to get the keys to my S4 Avant.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, DrEskimo and V6_Man
Totally agree with the above but I guess it boils down to money.

I do about 20k miles per year so the sensible choice should be a diesel or lesser powered patrol, however, I work hard, enjoy my cars so getting an S4, I don't want to look back and regret not enjoying every mile I do, however it shouldn't be at the expense of getting into money troubles if you simply can't afford the S4 or running costs.

Good luck in whatever decision you make, the A/S4 are great cars, I certainly can't wait to get the keys to my S4 Avant.

@Riko0073, you haven't helped him a lot here by finishing with your comments with 'awaiting an S4' . Damn, it is a cruel world.

Reactions: Riko0073
Had the same dilemma myself. On the petrol front it boiled down to whether I wanted to travel to get the discounts (Which I didn't) so probs would have gone for the TFSI252. My local dealer swears blind that the engines been discontinued but that's another story.

The TFSI252 can be had with extra comfy suspension but then the ride looks a bit high. I think you really need to nail exactly want you want from the car. This in theory should make your mind up for you.

Anyways for my personal situation I tried the V6 TDI272 and got hooked on that. It looks like a 2.0TDI so a proper Q car.

Still, all options are up in the air.

IF you can afford it, there's no debate to be had

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and Riko0073
@Riko0073, you haven't helped him a lot here by finishing with your comments with 'awaiting an S4' . Damn, it is a cruel world.

Hopefully I helped a lot and just get the damn S4 man!! LOL

Reactions: V6_Man
Ok Ok Ok ... I'm gonna do it.. you guys have convinced me and I have convinced the wife visiting the dealer on Monday . I work my balls off and it's my midlife crisis car as I approach the 50 mark next yr... no pony tail ...

List is £54K with options.. currently have offer on carwow that is cash (9% off - 49K or with PCP equivalent to 13% off and £47K). Can get much higher discount on other models like 252 Quattro but I guess S4 is narrower . Though on the quote from dealer, they don't mention discounts and I think are trying to hide stuff in the PCP...

What kind of discounts should I be expecting ? Not sure whether to PCP or just pay the money up front.... I guess the 2K finance incentive is << interest... so ,make sense to just buy it... or could keep money in the bank and if it turns into a pile of rubbish hand the car back after 3 yrs. what are typical exit terms of Audi PCp if you want to pay up early ?
Insurance is £800.., ouch...

Thanks for feedback, less so dent in my bank balance !

Sure you can pay it off within 14 days without penalty just done sing the finance docs till you collect the car and don't mention it to the dealer as am sure they don't like it

Ok Ok Ok ... I'm gonna do it.. you guys have convinced me and I have convinced the wife visiting the dealer on Monday . I work my balls off and it's my midlife crisis car as I approach the 50 mark next yr... no pony tail ...

List is £54K with options.. currently have offer on carwow that is cash (9% off - 49K or with PCP equivalent to 13% off and £47K). Can get much higher discount on other models like 252 Quattro but I guess S4 is narrower . Though on the quote from dealer, they don't mention discounts and I think are trying to hide stuff in the PCP...

What kind of discounts should I be expecting ? Not sure whether to PCP or just pay the money up front.... I guess the 2K finance incentive is << interest... so ,make sense to just buy it... or could keep money in the bank and if it turns into a pile of rubbish hand the car back after 3 yrs. what are typical exit terms of Audi PCp if you want to pay up early ?
Insurance is £800.., ouch...

Thanks for feedback, less so dent in my bank balance !

Can't help with the finance option as I outright purchased my car. And this is why I went with used car option and bought 14 plate last year with 11.5k miles on the clock. This is simply because I can't get the hang of paying dealer a little over £20k over three years and walk away with nothing at the end of it. Would be still better off if I keep the car and sell it after three/four years. Should be able to get some money back.

Re: insurance I have used Adrian Flux - details on the forum. Mine is Stage 2 remapped and I am paying around £500, which is slightly higher and is mainly due to my wife's claim just before the insurance renewal.

Insurance is £800.., ouch.

I'm 50, insurance quote with Direct Line came in at £502 fully comp, full no claims, Blackburn postcode which ain't the best either, E according to this site http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php

Thanks for tips on insurance ... mine does have to include business use , which probably adds few hundred quid...

Thanks for tips on insurance ... mine does have to include business use , which probably adds few hundred quid...

Mine includes business too. So, for both our cars; a 2014 S4 (Stage 2) and an A4 -2006, it is fully comp, breakdown with a courtesy car and 10k business mileage per year per car and protected NCD etc is £1k. The actual split is £750 (mine) + £300 (missus'). However I see it as a 50/50 split

My car is going on fleet policy for full business use, it is adding £200 over my current Freelander, not sure what the actual breakdown costs are, I will see if I can find them.

Edit* found the figure, £840 a year on our fleet policy for any driver over 25, though the chances of them getting to drive are slim to none :laughing:

My car is going on fleet policy for full business use, it is adding £200 over my current Freelander, not sure what the actual breakdown costs are, I will see if I can find them.

Edit* found the figure, £840 a year on our fleet policy for any driver over 25, though the chances of them getting to drive are slim to none :laughing:

And how many cars does the fleet cover if I may.

Currently ;
Freelander 2
Kia Sportage
Mini Clubman
VW transporter
2 x Citroen Berlingo
All under 3 year old and for any driver over 25, with LV, policy total is around £3000, we had an engineer write off his van and the stationary car he hit 3 years ago, that doesn't help.

I did it.. pulled the trigger

S4 Avant / driver assist / parking assist / active suspension / light pack / comfort pack and few other things .
I've PCP'd it mainly to get the discounts from Audi and dealer . I'll probably keep at end of 3 yrs too - works out cheaper on PCP even if you want to own it outright as discounts were >> cash. Long waiting now....

Reactions: scotty76, Dunders, DrEskimo and 3 others
Awe

S4 Avant / driver assist / parking assist / active suspension / light pack / comfort pack and few other things .
I've PCP'd it mainly to get the discounts from Audi and dealer . I'll probably keep at end of 3 yrs too - works out cheaper on PCP even if you want to own it outright as discounts were >> cash. Long waiting now....
Awesome...me to!!! Hopefully delivered in September.

Nice work, I'm waiting for mine too. September for me, when is yours due?

Good job!

Just to say, you will save a good deal in interest if you pay the finance early. Around £2-3k. Always an idea if you plan to own it at the end and have the funds to do so anyway :)

Good job!

Just to say, you will save a good deal in interest if you pay the finance early. Around £2-3k. Always an idea if you plan to own it at the end and have the funds to do so anyway :)
Yeah, I plan to do that. How early can you pay off PCP without losing the Audi and dealer deposits/ contributions ? Want to wait a bit so the sales guys get their commission , only fair imho....

Good job!

Just on the point of paying finance early, is there any comeback from the dealer if you do this, do they even know or do they have their commission clawed back etc?

I've struck a really good deal with my local dealer, this is the 2nd car I've bought and the same salesman has done a great job in getting very close to the best on line deal so I don't want to cross any line.

However it's my money and I do have the funds to pay cash.

Nice work, I'm waiting for mine too. September for me, when is yours due?

Don't yet have the build date .. expect it this week or next week... but I'm told late Sept....

Reactions: Daggerit
Yeah, I plan to do that. How early can you pay off PCP without losing the Audi and dealer deposits/ contributions ? Want to wait a bit so the sales guys get their commission , only fair imho....

Just on the point of paying finance early, is there any comeback from the dealer if you do this, do they even know or do they have their commission clawed back etc?

I've struck a really good deal with my local dealer, this is the 2nd car I've bought and the same salesman has done a great job in getting very close to the best on line deal so I don't want to cross any line.

However it's my money and I do have the funds to pay cash.

You can pay off as early as you like. As I understand it, if you pay it off in the first 14 days, you won't incur any interest and they certainly won't be able to claw back any discounts offered.

As for commission. No idea I'm afraid. I think it's taken back if paid in those first 14 days, but not sure about, say, a month or two after you've paid a bit of interest.

I see why you would both want to help them out, but I have no idea how it works. Does the salesman directly see that commission or does it go to the dealership as a whole, etc. I would imagine this varies immensely across groups. Without talking to them directly, I suspect you won't ever know. I appreciate this is a bit of a catch 22, since letting them know before hand isn't ideal...!

Personally....I wouldn't let it worry you too much. Get it paid off early and save yourself money. Maybe pay a month or two then do it just in case?

Reactions: Riko0073 and V6_Man
You can pay off as early as you like. As I understand it, if you pay it off in the first 14 days, you won't incur any interest and they certainly won't be able to claw back any discounts offered.

As for commission. No idea I'm afraid. I think it's taken back if paid in those first 14 days, but not sure about, say, a month or two after you've paid a bit of interest.

I see why you would both want to help them out, but I have no idea how it works. Does the salesman directly see that commission or does it go to the dealership as a whole, etc. I would imagine this varies immensely across groups. Without talking to them directly, I suspect you won't ever know. I appreciate this is a bit of a catch 22, since letting them know before hand isn't ideal...!

Personally....I wouldn't let it worry you too much. Get it paid off early and save yourself money. Maybe pay a month or two then do it just in case?

Or perhaps you could call any dealership other than yours and find out about the commission and early payoff. Not sure if they'll be honest but at least it would give you guys an idea. Also, if I am being selfish, I'd rather keep my interest in mind. It is your money that you want to save. A dealership won't hesitate in making sure they could maximise their profit share, why should you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riko0073 and DrEskimo

Yep that's what I'm thinking, maybe a couple of months etc then pay off.

Cheers mate.

Reactions: DrEskimo
Yep that's what I'm thinking, maybe a couple of months etc then pay off.

Cheers mate.
That's exactly what I did on both my Audi and the wife's Golf. There is no come back. Works fine.

Reactions: V6_Man, Keef and Riko0073
That's exactly what I did on both my Audi and the wife's Golf. There is no come back. Works fine.

Hi , did you settle PCP or HP early ? And after 2 months, what was the typical penalty if any on Audi finance ? (Do you just clear the loan amount and it's separate from GFV etc..) thanks

Hi , did you settle PCP or HP early ? And after 2 months, what was the typical penalty if any on Audi finance ? (Do you just clear the loan amount and it's separate from GFV etc..) thanks
In both cases it was PCP I settled early. The process is that you phone Audi finance and ask for a settlement figure. This is the amount to clear the loan, they don't distinguish between the loan and the GFV. They will also tell you how much interest you are saving. You then transfer the funds to them, they close down the loan, job done. Depending on the timing you may have another Direct Debit payment go out. If so it is simply paid back into your account. After about a month you get a letter confirming the loan is paid and the finance company have "no interest" in the car. Remember on PCP the finance company own the car, not you (although the V5 is in your name).

http://www.parkers.co.uk/car-finance/advice/2015/pcp-and-insurance/

Cost wise, I don't have the figures for my Audi to hand but on the wife's Golf:

Original loan: £14,500
Settlement figure: £14,564.34

I made one monthly payment of £208.72

So by my back of fag packet maths it cost me £273.06 to do this but I got £5085 in dealer + finance contributions so well worth doing. As I signed up for finance I also got 2 years servicing for £125 which was not available if you bought for cash.

Settlement figures looked like this:

Agreement Balance: £16461.98
Interest Saving: £1897.64
Arrears: £0.00
Total amount payable: £14564.34

Hope that helps. Post again if anything is unclear. Having done this twice I would always take finance and the contributions and settle early. It immediately converts the car into an asset that I can sell should I wish which is harder to do on PCP.

Reactions: Riko0073 and V6_Man
Top banana ...great to hear that you don't get hammered for settling early....

Yes I believe it is only if you hand the car back must you have paid at least 50% of the total purchase price...

Reactions: Riko0073
Awesome, I'll be settling mine early then!

Reactions: scotty76