Different rear LED lights?

number3

Reaction score
Did a quick search and nobody seems to have mentioned this yet, following a 13 plate S-Line this morning and couldn't work out why it looked different, until they indicated to turn off, where my rear LED indicator lights are straight, his had a weird downward tail on them on the boot part of the lights??? His rear red lights ( not break lights ) look different too? Anybody else noticed this change?

Isnt a difference between 3 door and sportback?

The saloon has different rear lights again as well from the a3 and the sb...

I don't actually have a clue what my rear lights look like when they are on - I'm going to have to investigate!

Reactions: TDI-line
TBH I wouldn't have thought the light clusters between SB and 3 door would be different ? Thought was same just longer ? Salon I can understand as it's different shape at the back! Am not fussed that they are , was just thinking there had been an alteration made from 13 onwards.

I know roughly what they look like as I saw an A3 going the other way to me yesterday with Xenons, and I looked in my mirror as they went past to see what they were like, heh

Reminds me though - there is a difference between them if you have xenons vs if you don't

I just googled some images and the 3 and 5 door rear lights look identical to me.

Yes the 3 door indicator lights tail lights are different, my indicators look like a "tick" I think they are smart.

Yes the 3 door indicator lights tail lights are different, my indicators look like a "tick" I think they are smart.

You have the 3 door S-Line same as me? as mine dosen't have the downward tick ?? on a 62 plate

It might just help for people to post pictures of various models and different light options.

206268005-w988.jpg

Reactions: Lmg
63 Plate A3 3 door S-Line (indicator obviously isn't on but it is a straight line of LEDs across the top)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383331522528841

Same here no tick on the end

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,385
My S3 SB has the downward tail on them on the boot part of the lights.

Fancy uploading a pic if it's different to others on here... Actually, just more pics in general! I need my fix!

It's saturday tomorrow and I have a chance to take some pics with a real camera and not just my phone. Hope its sunny, then I want to put some miles on it. I fancy going to Barmouth. Pics to follow.

Reactions: paullowther, the_lecht_rocks and Lmg
As he uses the word 'indicator' one assumes he means those not rear lights so posting up pictures of them is not really helpful.

S3 with LED light package - 3 door

So far it looks like Audi can't make their mind up on rear light design! The car equivalent of a snowflake!

Last edited:
Base models appear to have simple lights!

S Line and S3 seem to have LEDs..posts 15 and 23.. I may be wrong!!

So where are we on this? The images in posts 22 and 23 have completely different light clusters so is the deciding factor that determines which you get?

Does anybody know what light option post 22 had fitted? Standard, xenon or LED?

Yep, it's what I have on my SB Sport with the Xenon light pack.

As he uses the word 'indicator' one assumes he means those not rear lights so posting up pictures of them is not really helpful.

one assumes correctly, we were posting pics of our light clusters whilst not ideal still , if you looked close enough , showed whether straight or ticked.

Reactions: 97catalunya
S3 - 5 door: with the indicator "ticked" downwards:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,260
Same car taken from front:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 789
I think it's a 3/5 door difference. If you look in the Oct 2013 brochure (http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/PriceAndSpecGuides/a3-s3.pdf) on page 89 they have an S3 SB which looks to have the 'ticked' lights, then on page 96 they have a 3dr S3 which looks to have the straight ones. As the S3 has xenon's as standard, we can make the assumption that it's not the rear LED's that are making the difference (although it could still be something to do with whether front LED's are specified?)

Reactions: paullowther
I think it's a 3/5 door difference.
Yes. It will be different panel shapes on the 3/5 door that make the difference. The light cluster shapes will be the same on all 3 door and the 5 doors will all be the same too...