Differences between the MK1 RNSE and the MK2?

G

Goner

As the title, can someone explain the differences between the two units?

When using the Sat Nav do you need to have the disc in the unit all the time, if so that would mean i cannot listen to CDs wouldn't it unless it has a SD slot which i'm not sure it will have or won't have?

Thanks

I've had both mk1 and mk2 and now thinking of getting an after market unit because I feel I'd get more for my money. The main differences are the led screen in the mk 2 which is a lot better than the mk 1 and the and the sd slots hold 32gb capacity each compared to 4gb on the mk1.

Yes you need the disc in the unit for the Sat Nav to work. You can use the SD slots for your music or the AUX or an iPod connection in your glovebox or AMI in your glovebox.

The MKII has a high def screen and a quicker processor. It also has 2 x 32GB? slots as apposed to 2 x 4GB slots that the MKI has.

Visually the MKII can have a glossy black edge screen and silver knobs.

Thanks for the response Martin, as long as the MK1 has a SD slot i'm happy because i can play MP3s off that can't i?

Regarding the disc, is that loaded onto the unit or do you have to have the CD spinning all the time when using the Navi?

Thanks

Yeah u can do that with the sd cards. Yeah the disc had to be in when the sat nav is in use unfortunately!

I have all my music on spotify on my phone so sd cards or ami is not any use to me so hoping to get a headunit with Bluetooth built in so I can listen to it that way.

I see, it's a bit of a ****** having to have the disk in the unit all the time but never mind, if the SD slots can be used then that's fine, i'm guessing the unit doesn't play MP3 discs?

I would think it should beable to but have never tried so couldn't be certain.

Ive got a Mk2 and im happy with 2x 16gb cards, holds all of our music spread accross the two. Dont even need to take out the Nav disk as when we get some new music i take the cards out update them and put them back in, especially as we dont really buy cd's either, we purchase online...

Where about do u buy from online mate? Might start doing this instead.

Yes you need the disc in the unit for the Sat Nav to work. You can use the SD slots for your music or the AUX or an iPod connection in your glovebox or AMI in your glovebox.The MKII has a high def screen and a quicker processor. It also has 2 x 32GB? slots as apposed to 2 x 4GB slots that the MKI has.Visually the MKII can have a glossy black edge screen and silver knobs.

MK2's can also have plastic knobs and plastic surround. Best way to differentiate between the two is regarding the second button in at the bottom. The Mk1's have a CD/TV button, whereas MK2's have the Media button instead.

Cheeky plug but if anybody's looking for one, I will have a glossy black surround MK2 RNSE for sale in the next couple of weeks. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
you can also get adaptors like the xcarlink which plays from any devise with either an iPod connection or aux port, beats having sd cards anyday

I use a viseoo tune 2 air bluetooth adapter with the ami on my rns. Allows me to stream spotify from my android phone and change tracks with the head unit or steering wheel controls. Brilliant bit of kit, sound is superb too, just as good as through sd card. Also picks up where my phone was last so carries on playing when I get back into the car.

The wife has an iPhone but that only allows you to change track through the phone when using spottily but it does display track names on the head unit and mfd. It has full control if you use the iPod function of the phone however but I only have my music on spotify these days

I use a viseoo tune 2 air bluetooth adapter with the ami on my rns. Allows me to stream spotify from my android phone and change tracks with the head unit or steering wheel controls. Brilliant bit of kit, sound is superb too, just as good as through sd card. Also picks up where my phone was last so carries on playing when I get back into the car.

The wife has an iPhone but that only allows you to change track through the phone when using spottily but it does display track names on the head unit and mfd. It has full control if you use the iPod function of the phone however but I only have my music on spotify these days

That sounds like what I need! Have u got a link for this or where did I buy it from? I'm the same all my music is on spotify so sd cards CDs and iPods are no use to me..

That's perfect mate cheers! When I put an iPod on it doesn't come up track names does that mean it probly won't come up track names with this either?

That's perfect mate cheers! When I put an iPod on it doesn't come up track names does that mean it probly won't come up track names with this either?

Id assume so. It basically fools the unit into thinking the connection is wired when in fact it is wireless so will act exactly the same. The bonus is the device has sw which allows it to talk to android devices and when paired that way the head unit outputs whatever is on the phone so can use dab radio app, youtube, spotify, basically any app. I've also tried deezer and that still allows the head unit to change track.

Just to confirm setup mine is a 2012 mk2 rns-e with AMI using the 30 pin iPod cable plugged into this device

Id assume so. It basically fools the unit into thinking the connection is wired when in fact it is wireless so will act exactly the same. The bonus is the device has sw which allows it to talk to android devices and when paired that way the head unit outputs whatever is on the phone so can use dab radio app, youtube, spotify, basically any app. I've also tried deezer and that still allows the head unit to change track.

Just to confirm setup mine is a 2012 mk2 rns-e with AMI using the 30 pin iPod cable plugged into this device

That's the exact same as what I have. Thanks for the info mate this will be getting purchased tonight! :)