Differences between AEB and AJL

Ah .....
Not payment by results is it ?
The Golf boys will be wheelspinning and torque steering all down the road so don't feel too bad !

lack of easy cheap ways to get decent power is making me think sell it and get an s4. an s4 with a simple chip will be 300+ bhp. to get that from the 1.8t is far more hassle.

ah but think of the fun you can have baiting S4 drivers!

true. just been looking at s4's and not many cheap ones about and not facelift anyway. mine will look like an s4 soon anyway,just a bit slower.

My original remap was a custom one done by Geoff Everett at AmD ( original Amd in Oddinton not all the subsequent reincarnations ! ) and came out at 208 bhp, up from the 180.
It does make the car drive very much better. Later DBW versions seem to get another 10 bhp( ours is a July 1999 registered car and has a throttle cable -- it was ordered about late May as soon as the model was announced).

is everything else standard as i wondered how much difference a 3" system would make

yes everything else is standard. May go down the exhaust route eventually, nothing wrong with the factory system yet...... and it's 'her' car really and only quiet exhausts are acceptable!!

S4s are not a cheap may of upping the performance imho.
Having hung out with a few S4 owners on RS246 (many are now on SRS) when I had my S3 I've watched and heard of the sums of money that they used to sink into these cars.
Any turbo problem ( and rattling heat shields) means engine out, costs , including a pair of KO4s, typically seem to be about £5k............. you could do a lot to a 1.8TqSport for less money than that. Ok not 400+ bhp, but close enough not to really matter in real on the road terms.

It will never match the S4 smoothness tho' ........

Don't know about the AJL intake port, but ATW is small port and AEB is big port, I thought AEB was alone with that.
ATW VS AEB
AWPvsAEB.jpg

yes everything else is standard. May go down the exhaust route eventually, nothing wrong with the factory system yet...... and it's 'her' car really and only quiet exhausts are acceptable!!

S4s are not a cheap may of upping the performance imho.
Having hung out with a few S4 owners on RS246 (many are now on SRS) when I had my S3 I've watched and heard of the sums of money that they used to sink into these cars.
Any turbo problem ( and rattling heat shields) means engine out, costs , including a pair of KO4s, typically seem to be about £5k............. you could do a lot to a 1.8TqSport for less money than that. Ok not 400+ bhp, but close enough not to really matter in real on the road terms.

It will never match the S4 smoothness tho' ........

If i was going for any major upgrades i'd book a holiday to america and get everything over there for a 500+ bhp conversion, but that's me dreaming.

no need to visit....
most sellers will ship with very sensible customs statements.
I also have a mate in NY. I had some stuff shipped from NY to the UK as an export that was "being returned". tax free.....

so guys, can someone tell me if the AEB MAFs they use in the states are the same as AEB UK MAFs? What about AJL MAFs?

Can we plug in an American AEB MAF - assuming it's calibrated to the ME5 appropriately. Ie, harness wise, and physically, does it match up with the harness, air box etc etc etc etc.

Theres a few different MAF's depending on the age of the AEB ECU.

i would imagine later AEB maf and an AJL maf is the same part, early aeb mafs are different.

Cant you just compare the part number?

I am not sure they ever got the 180 BHp AJL coded 1.8tqs in the US so the MAF may not be the same. It will probably fit physically as they are all pretty much the same size.
why do you ask? found some cheaps ones?

Theres a few different MAF's depending on the age of the AEB ECU.

i would imagine later AEB maf and an AJL maf is the same part, early aeb mafs are different.

Cant you just compare the part number?

Yea just searched and matched up PNs.

Later AEBs (inc American) & AJLs (my own one) are:
0 280 217 117 ....

This raises the question.... How do these fit in a bigger housing? Ie the TT housing?

I physically cannot get it to fit.
Pic:
4097052335_010b401736.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Inline4doors
Yea just searched and matched up PNs.

Later AEBs (inc American) & AJLs (my own one) are:
0 280 217 117 ....

This raises the question.... How do these fit in a bigger housing? Ie the TT housing?

I physically cannot get it to fit.
Pic:
4097052335_010b401736.jpg

Hi, curious to see if a solution was found for this.