Difference in speaker quality between 2006 and 2011 8P?

Menelaos

Reaction score
This is my first post here...
I have two Audi A3 8p, the first one is a 2006 model and the other is 2011 model (December 2011) both with stock head units and speakers (non-bose)
The audio / speaker quality is excellent on the 2006 model and terrible in 2011 model. Both cars with concert HU, the older car with single din and the newer with double din.
Are there different type of speakers installed on these cars over the years?

The speakers are the same AFAIK. Maybe the 2006 has had it's speakers upgraded by a previous owner? Or the newer car has a damaged speaker?

They are both 3 door 8p. I bought the 2006 model brand new and I've never upgrade the speakers. It has the blaupunkt set.
The 2011 it's used and the speakers doesn't seems to be damaged. They seems to be under powered or unpowerful and the quality is not good

Last edited:
Should sound the same, at least I never noticed a difference between a 2006 and 2010 sportback, both Concert HU.

Forgot to mention that the 2006 has single din concert with cd and 2011 model has double din concert.
Btw double din concert other than bass and treble it has middle settings that makes things worst, at least in my case.
I'm planning to upgrade but I'm trying to confirm if the problem is the head unit or the speakers, or maybe a faulty amp, if it has any..

Could be the settings on the speakers? Try checking the bass/treble/middle settings, I always have to do that in work vans or they sound like tin can speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried everything...
The best settings, for now, is Treble +5, Bass -3 and middle -6. Even though the sound and clarity are better now, they are nowhere near the quality of my 2006 A3.
My guess is that since the 2011 car is S line only outside and SE inside, maybe it came without an amp powering the rear speakers... I say so because they sound underpowered.

Do you have rear speakers? Some vehicles were spec’d with front only which weren’t amped.

Is the interior s-Line spec? If not it isn’t. Just dressed up to look like one.

If it’s a poverty spec SE or non Bose it’s very likely no rear speakers, even though the grills are there. If you want better sound then aftermarket components are the way to go.

Thanks for all the replies, yes it is not sline inside but it comes with the concert 3 with rear speakers and sub, I can see them through the grills and I confirm it with fader setting. Sure a set of focal components at the front will help but I'll most likely combine them with a good amp.