Difference between Standard trim, SE, Sport visually?

scottj15

Reaction score
looking for a 5 door A3 between 2004-2007 at the moment and finding it hard to see any differences between the 3 trim types listed above, could someone clear this up for me? Theres a slight difference in insurance groups so Im guessing theres something but they all produce the same power

Also I'v noticed that the SE models seem to be the only ones with cruise control? Is this correct or just a coincidence?

Many thanks

SE come with the comfort pack as far as im aware which is cruise, auto lights and parking sensors. the Sport has the nicer 3 spoke steering wheel.
stay away from the standard spec with the ugly manual heater knobs.

I've got a 2011 SE and it does not have the comfort pack. Think the body shape is slightly different from standard and sport though, heres a pic.

photo1.jpg

You can see that it doesn't look like any of the other front ends: 8P1, 8P2 or 8P3?

you have the 8P3 front end on yours, just with the standard halogens as you dont have the xenon plus

also the Sport models are lower than the SE

Yeah SE was stock when I ordered, there was no 'standard'. Also you say its 8P3 but it doesnt look like the 8P3 in the photos, check out the fogs. Not arguing just wondering what the technical model name is

Thanks for the replies all, very helpful.

@ Itwasntme - Gotta say your car is spot on! What year and model is it if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah SE was stock when I ordered, there was no 'standard'. Also you say its 8P3 but it doesnt look like the 8P3 in the photos, check out the fogs. Not arguing just wondering what the technical model name is
8P1 = 2003 - 2005
8P2 = 2005 - 2008
8P3 = 2008 - 2012
the term is not based on the look but the year of release. the 8P3 has the DRLs on the front and has that new front end with the indicators on the mirrors not on the wings.

Thanks for the replies all, very helpful.

@ Itwasntme - Gotta say your car is spot on! What year and model is it if you don't mind me asking?

thanks mate, Its a 2005 S-Line model but it has loads of mods done to it... have a look at my blog in my sig and you can see what i have done to it.

Cool cheers Ash. Lol I can tell the difference, mine is not exactly like any of those. If you think it is you need to head to specsavers haha

Yeah I grasp that its an 8P3 like you say thats the year, just the area around the fogs look different on mine than the 8P3 photo shown there. Do you see what Im talking about?

The chrome bit round the fogs was added for MY11 - also, your bumper looks identical to the one my Sport has.

I've got a 2011 SE and it does not have the comfort pack. Think the body shape is slightly different from standard and sport though, heres a pic.

photo1.jpg

You can see that it doesn't look like any of the other front ends: 8P1, 8P2 or 8P3?