Difference between Sports and standard exhaust?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
Other than the volume of the car (and colour of the tips) how exactly are they different?

Other than the volume of the car (and colour of the tips) how exactly are they different?
Are you talking Pre or post facelift.
My PFL 16 8V (about to go) had the Audi recall mod and actually sounds louder in some circumstances than FL . Apparently all new cars are having to become quieter and Audi have started to do this before others.

FL stock VS FL Audi sport maybe 20% differ on full thorottle. On idle reving if u both are black color u cant be 100% sure which one is Audi sport. Prety disapointed. I should have gone stock and now chose Milltek

I think the sports is a little deeper all across the range, a bit more rawty.

Seeing as i'm an old git I don't want to **** my neighbours off, so have gone for standard. on the understanding I can always go aftermarket if desired.

I don’t mean between PFL and FL exhausts.

I mean what is the mechanical difference between a standard RS3 exhaust and the sports exhaust. I understand there is some remapping of the engine to create more bangs etc; but is that the only difference? And the fact it is black? Or is something else different.

In effect are we paying £1000 for black tips and remap or is there something else different?

FL stock VS FL Audi sport maybe 20% differ on full thorottle. On idle reving if u both are black color u cant be 100% sure which one is Audi sport. Prety disapointed. I should have gone stock and now chose Milltek
Not going to pay £1200 on an RS4 where difference is apparently not that great. £1200 towards a Miltek or ABT if required.

I don’t mean between PFL and FL exhausts.

I mean what is the mechanical difference between a standard RS3 exhaust and the sports exhaust. I understand there is some remapping of the engine to create more bangs etc; but is that the only difference? And the fact it is black? Or is something else different.

In effect are we paying £1000 for black tips and remap or is there something else different?

I don't know if it's the same for FL but on PFLs there's a physical difference between the two exhausts and it's not only an ECU thing.
There's a small pipe on the sports exhausts that isn't on the standard, even the part numbers on the backboxes are different (on PFL Standard is 8V0253611 and Sports Exhaust is 8V0253611A)

Reactions: DW81
My new FL has the standard exhaust and its pretty loud on start-up and accelerating.
May be this is because compared with the PFL the FL has got straight pipes where the PFL had secondary CATS - see other thread.
I'm pleased I didn't hold out for Sports Exhaust, also it doesn't have Mag. Ride like my PFL did and I can say its a lot different than Comfort.