Difference between S and M drive modes

kieran-S3

Reaction score
Hi all,

Something that’s been bugging me for a while and I want to get a proper answer for if anyone can help..

When driving in full auto and in sport power is great but when shifting across and going into drive mode M power is lost and exhaust is a lot quieter.

Is there anyway to have the same power, torque and sound in M as there is in S.

Car is a S3 8V PFL.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t own an s3 but I’ve seen people say they put it in to s then go across to m so ‘sport manual’ in a way. Rather than going straight to m. Have you tried this?

Fellow Kieran :salute:

I don’t own an s3 but I’ve seen people say they put it in to s then go across to m so ‘sport manual’ in a way. Rather than going straight to m. Have you tried this?

Fellow Kieran :salute:

I’ve tried that, no difference! Thanks

S mode keeps the car in a lower gear than many people would normally drive in, and is also very eager to kick down even with only small additional accelerator pressure.

M mode uses the gear you choose and only kicks down after you push the accelerator beyond the first point of resistance and ‘the button’ into the carpet.

I suspect these are the reasons for the feeling of less power in M mode.

I have an FL S3 and pulling the gearshift lever into S and then moving to the right and manual S mode the exhaust valves remain open and the mapping for performance remains the same as in auto S mode, but for me the auto M mode is way to herky jerky in shifts and the manual S mode puts me in control.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and kieran-S3
I usually flick down from D to S (which I also find very jerky and eager to keep changing gear) then use a paddle to amend which puts into M.

Ive never flicked the gear stick left/right tbh didn’t know you could lol. Assume what I do has the same effect though. Feels just as sporty and noisy as S did but with more control.

What I like about M is it won’t try shifting down as you accelerate, you pick that bit, but it will still auto change up if required. Great for overtaking as you can worry about the manoeuvre while the car takes care of the gears.

If I was to go for an overtake straight in S, I always worry I’m going to pull out and put my foot down (not past the down gear point) and it will still try and decide what gear it wants, causing jerks and delay in equal measure.

The only time I find S useful is from standstill, as in that scenario, if feel it does go through the gears at peak times to accelerate away as quickly as possible.

Reactions: kieran-S3
Slightly OT, but my PFL manual seems to make little difference when in 'comfort' Eco' or 'Sport' mode. Mind you it's only a 1.6 Tdi But my older Alfa had the same engine and the difference between Normal and Dynamic was quite noticeable.

Reactions: kieran-S3
I have an FL S3 and pulling the gearshift lever into S and then moving to the right and manual S mode the exhaust valves remain open and the mapping for performance remains the same as in auto S mode, but for me the auto M mode is way to herky jerky in shifts and the manual S mode puts me in control.

See if I do this, I lose the power and sound by shifting down to S and then across it’s so annoying!

Are you pulling the lever back again prior to moving over to manual S mode, this will disengage S mode. It is very easy to verify. Whilst stopped engage auto S mode and you will hear the exhaust note change as the valves open, now move over to manual S mode, the exhaust note should not not change

what drive select mode are you in?

eco/dynamic/comfort?

make sure it is in dynamic.

shift to s.
then to manual.

Are you pulling the lever back again prior to moving over to manual S mode, this will disengage S mode. It is very easy to verify. Whilst stopped engage auto S mode and you will hear the exhaust note change as the valves open, now move over to manual S mode, the exhaust note should not not change

Yeah that’s the thing I make sure the car is in S and then shift across. But power is lost and noise is completely different. It’s so frustrating I want the same power in S as you do in M. I’ve heard that carrying out a reset might help?

Sounds like you need to take a trip to the dealer. Just verify as I suggested whilst stopped or parked, not moving.

Have you tried using the paddles while in Dynamic and gbox in S? I haven't tried changing to manual using the gear lever and always use the paddles to change it to M and havent noticed any change in performance or sound

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Small point - the exhaust note changes even if valves are disabled (as mine are)

In my FL there is no change in exhaust tone/noise level as I stated in moving from auto S to manual S whilst parked......what position is your soudakator on, auto, comfort or dynamic as that can have an influence on interior cabin noise when accelerating, but not the exhaust.