1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Difference between MMIs

MItchellChang Mar 15, 2018

1. MItchellChang

MItchellChang Registered User

Hi all,

I was wondering whats the difference between the two MMI units below?
    I think one is newer than the other but they are both on b8.5 Cars,
    Is the one with the silver 4 sections a better unit?
    Also could anyone tell me what MMI they are for example 3G or 2g or 3g plus etc

Many Thanks,
    Mitch

Attached Files:

Carlos85 likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Registered User

4. mrbubba

mrbubba Registered User

I'm sure the one without the skip forward and backward buttons are from the newer cars, as the skip button is now the volume knob.

The other looks like mine, which is a B8

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

5. gary_a4_quattro

gary_a4_quattro Registered User

As @mrbubba says, 2nd image looks like 2G as it doesn’t appear to have the joystick detent in the dial centre.

6. davidg123

davidg123 Registered User

After retrofitting 3g+ in my car and buying the wrong parts many times, which was fun... ... The first pic is 3g+ (head unit is piano black) the other pic is 2g. As stated above. 3g basic/standard has the same surrounding buttons as 2g but with the joystick in the big centre button (like 3g+ in the first pic)

7. wolfie138

wolfie138 Registered User

ok, i'm getting confused again. my 2011 A4 has the set-up on the right, but if you're saying that's 2G it seems to conflict w/ all the satnav sites that say 2G only went to 2009? but then again, it's the DVD-based version, not the HDD-in-the-trunk version, which other sites seem to suggest was 2G :-/

8. cbeadle2508

cbeadle2508 Registered User

The second photo is MMI 3G which I have in my 2012 B8.5 and I’m pretty sure as others have said the first photo is MMI 3G+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. cbeadle2508

cbeadle2508 Registered User

Pretty sure 2G units finished in 2009. If it has dual SD card slots then they are definitely 3G units. The difference being one is basic and the other is plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Jorgen44

Jorgen44 Registered User

Tags: