difference between Haldex Oil and Diff Oil

V.I.P_UAE

Reaction score
I wasnt aware that the haldex and the diff oil are different?? Just told the garage to change the diff oil thinking it was Haldex?? whats the difference?

To my understanding there's no difference...it's the same oil as used for the gearbox.

Isn't haldex oil a hydraulic oil? Gearbox oil is much thicker. I thought the haldex is effectively a hydraulic clutch that engages drive to the rear diff. I suspect the rear diff oil is the same as the gearbox.

Isn't haldex oil a hydraulic oil? Gearbox oil is much thicker. I thought the haldex is effectively a hydraulic clutch that engages drive to the rear diff. I suspect the rear diff oil is the same as the gearbox.

Yes, you're absolutely right! Diff and gearbox are the same...Haldex are different...Sorry for that

Just ran out to the shed to check the tube of haldex oil I got for its next change in 4k time... defo not gear oil.... far too runny...

Thanks for the replys. Sorry to sound stupid, but where does the Haldex oil go. My car is in the local garage here and I asked him to change the haldex oil and he didnt have a clue, thought I meant Diff oil so he changed that.

Just do a search and youll find a how to guide that shows you where everything is and how todo, im geussing if he doesnt know where it is to change he isnt going to have the tool in which to change it!

Just do a search and youll find a how to guide that shows you where everything is and how todo, im geussing if he doesnt know where it is to change he isnt going to have the tool in which to change it!

If he doesn't know what or where a haldex is then should he be doing it at all??

The haldex oil (every 20k miles) and filter (40k miles) need to be changed I suspect, the haldex has to be warm to aid draining of the old oil (quick run round the block). The new oil comes in a container like bathroom sealant and needs to be 'injected' from under the car, the filter needs a special tool as its bloodu awkward and can't really be done without it.

Yeah its easy enough todo its just a matter of space, idealy if you have a pit or a car lift then its straight forward but if not it, its a case of useing ramps or car stands to raise the rear up enough to get under. I think someone also used a pair of grips to get the filter off :laugh:

Also alot of people like to change the filter at 20k, it costs hardly anything for the filter (Think it cost be about £32 for both)

Hope that helps :icon_thumright:

:uhm:Sorry to hijack but, does any1 know what oil is used for the rear diff? and is there a guide?

As i rand Audi Chelmsford a few days ago he said there was no oil for the rear diff just the Haldex:uhm:,Cheers Oski

Yeah its easy enough todo its just a matter of space, idealy if you have a pit or a car lift then its straight forward but if not it, its a case of useing ramps or car stands to raise the rear up enough to get under. I think someone also used a pair of grips to get the filter off :laugh:

Also alot of people like to change the filter at 20k, it costs hardly anything for the filter (Think it cost be about £32 for both)

Hope that helps :icon_thumright:

where do i drain it from??

Theres a 7mm allen key thread where you drain it from. Cant quite rember its exact location.