Difference between chipped and Remap,.??

Julz.S3

6th Gear
Reaction score
Hi, i am thinking about getting my s3 remapped, but could get it chipped locally.Can anyone tell me the difference between both,and also my car would of done about 115,000 is that to much,and will it put a strain on other parts of the car.?

Thanks for any help that you can give me,cheers:sadlike:

The engine is good if it has been looked after.

Chipping is old technology I think..? Remapping the ECU is what most tuners do now, through the car's ports

Could bee wrong, looking to learn too

Last edited:
If memory serves/my understanding is correct, chipping is just a generic map that "plugs in" to the car's ECU.

Mapping is creating a live map with rolling road's aid specific to that car. The idea is the same (more BHP, better use of air/petrol), but you pay more for mapping due to what's involved.

If i got a remap with r-tech,they would have to come to my house,how would they be able to put it on a rolling road.

If i got it chipped,do you think they would be able to tell me how much bhp i have gained.?

I just want a little bit more power,so i may just go for the chip,because its cheaper aswell.Cheers for the help,.,!

No, they wouldn't. They could do some logging with you with VAG COM to give you g/s of X amount, which can be converted to BHP I guess.