Difference between 2lt petrol and diesel

Molnboman

Reaction score
Hello Allroad 4'ers!

Can anyone give me an idea of real MPG your getting from either the 2lt petrol or diesel model, and how does general ownership compare to a standard A4 if you have previously owned one. Any issues or annoyances you would like to make people aware of during your ownership.

Any advice greatly welcomed.

BR
MM

Pretty much the same car.

A4 Allroad facts 'n' figures:
Audi A4 Allroad (09 on) Review - Facts & Figures | Parkers

A4 Avant facts 'n' figures:
Audi A4 Avant (08 on) Performance - Facts and Figures | Parkers

Allroad

Audi_A4_allroad_quattro_Phantomschwarz.JPG

Avant

Audi_A4_Avant_(B8)_front.JPG

Try differentiate without commenting on cosmetic appearance or suspension setup

Pretty much the same car.

A4 Allroad facts 'n' figures:
Audi A4 Allroad (09 on) Review - Facts & Figures | Parkers

A4 Avant facts 'n' figures:
Audi A4 Avant (08 on) Performance - Facts and Figures | Parkers

Allroad

Audi_A4_allroad_quattro_Phantomschwarz.JPG

Avant

Audi_A4_Avant_(B8)_front.JPG

Try differentiate without commenting on cosmetic appearance or suspension setup

Think it's about 38mm difference and some plastic cladding!....seriously, could do with some extra ground clearance and 4wd for day to day up here and I don't want a Chelsea tractor!....A6 allroad would have been attractive but serious concerns about the suspension woes if it goes wrong.

That's true fingers crossed suspensions all good with this one. Drove a Range Rover sport for a few days and must say although they are very capable vehicles it's a soulless underpowered car (smallest diesel version I was in... but that's the most common one), not only that but the sat nav kept taking us off the motorway then back on and playing all sorts of tom foolery and it wouldn't shift within five seconds of foot to the floor action. Seemed somewhat of a passenger car or status symbol which are the opposite end of the spectrum of cars I would choose. Allroad would probably be something to be less worried about too with the plastic body panels as all I could think when driving or parking the Range Rover was about how easily it would scratch, especially due to the width.

That's true fingers crossed suspensions all good with this one. Drove a Range Rover sport for a few days and must say although they are very capable vehicles it's a soulless underpowered car (smallest diesel version I was in... but that's the most common one), not only that but the sat nav kept taking us off the motorway then back on and playing all sorts of tom foolery and it wouldn't shift within five seconds of foot to the floor action. Seemed somewhat of a passenger car or status symbol which are the opposite end of the spectrum of cars I would choose. Allroad would probably be something to be less worried about too with the plastic body panels as all I could think when driving or parking the Range Rover was about how easily it would scratch, especially due to the width.

Yep, no fancy air suspension to go wrong on the A4 Allroad. Am gutted with the state of rust on my B7 avant and another to reason go for the cladding ( mind you could easily rust from behind it ) The Mrs wants a 4x4 like a Quashqai but I don't really want to leave the brand....I have really enjoyed owning my B7 but ground clearance is a ballache since I stuck the ABT bodykit on ( good snow plough though ) and would really fancy the quattro for the few really rough winter weeks we get too. Also, the B8 is a wee bit bigger inside and my kids are nearly 6 foot now....The A6 is just too big and rare in manual here, but big concern is that suspension....1.5k a side if it goes!

Funny about the Range Rover...last time I was in the old country I hired the new Freelander diesel....engine was strong ( Ford 2.2 ) but really thirsty...my Mrs loved it....but you'd have it 3 weeks and something expensive would fall off it g-teed!....Much rather stay with Audi....and not a big fan of Q5.

BR
A

Molnboman said:
but big concern is that suspension....1.5k a side if it goes!

Every A8 built since 2003 has had air suspension and there are very few reports of failures. The DRC suspension on the RS6 is a completely different matter, I grant you.

I love my Allroad - as a forestry contractor in the scottish highlands its perfect for me! Have had quite a few Audis and performance cars and have to say that for the potholed and bouncy a and b roads up here the suspension is much better than on an sline, hitting a bump at speed doesnt throw it off line, it just absorbs it
Clearance definitely makes a big difference, been up a few forest tracks with it and while you cant go silly it didnt touch anywhere - as we had an unusually mild winter havent tried it in snow but with winter tyres cant see any issues

Scooby - Just wondered if you have a preference for tyres or are you still on the originals?

I got a set of 245/45 18" Goodyear Wrangler AT/R for my A6 allroad and was so impressed I put some on my Octavia Scout too. They're no longer available, but I sold the Scout and kept the wheels for a replacement Scout (when it eventually arrives). Plus I have a spare set of tyres in the garage as they're no longer produced.

There doesn't seem to be anything comparable in this (A4 allroad) size anymore, although some winter M+S patterns might work despite being more vulnerable to off-road damage and wear because of their compound.

Although not an Audi recommended option, the A6 (C6) allroad can get away with 235/50 18 which allows use of Mich Latitude Cross, but I don't know if you could physically fit that to an A4 allroad.