Difference between 136BHP and 143BHP A4 2.0 TDI?

LeeT96

Reaction score
According to autotrader the 136BHP models have quicker 0-62mph times (8.4seconds) than the 143BHP models (9.4) now, I won't exactly be going 0-60 everywhere if/when I get one. But I wanted to know the actual differences (if any) in the engines and which is more reliable, better MPG and all this TDIe stuff?

At first I thought it was the difference between multitronic and fully manual but I can find manuals that claim to have 143BHP.

Would really appreciate if anyone could shine a light on this for me. :):kissmyrings:

The TDIe has wider ratios so that probably screws up the 0-60 as it cant drag itself through a larger rev drop.

The TDIe has wider ratios so that probably screws up the 0-60 as it cant drag itself through a larger rev drop.
What do you mean? The 136 is the TDIe

136bhp TDIe eco CO2 of 112g/km Road Tax Band C £30.00 v 143bhp Tdi CO2 139g'km Road Tax Band E £130
136bhp 0-60mph 9.3secs / Max 133mph, Combined 65.7mpg

Last edited:
So, essentially, 136 are quicker, faster and better MPG?

Thanks for all your help so far :)

Weird.
I would like to see a genuine head to head test on 0-60 and MPG.

I wouldn't believe the figures on Autotrader. A 136bhp A4 is not going to do 0-62 in 8.4 seconds.
Page 87 http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/PriceAndSpecGuides/a4-a4allroad-s4.pdf

In the real world probably very little to choose between them. Don't know what turbo the 136E is running , the 143 may be more tuneable on a remap.As regards reliability etc they are essentially the same engine.
Thanks mate! Love your car, read the whole thread.

So essentially, the 136 will be the cheapest in terms of tax and MPG. Saw the perfect "Special Edition" 2.0 136 yesterday but not looking to get until July time (my 19th birthday).

I can't consider the 177s/Quattros due to insurance but under 150 is surprisingly cheap, especially compared to an A3 Black Edition 2.0 I was looking at.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Edit: I also assume B8s and B8.5s have the exact same engines?

Well, I find my 2010 170HP A4 2.0TDi Quattro Avant in 1st and 2nd gear really (almost unbelieveably) sluggish unless you absolutely boot it which is something I don't do.
Why does the torque band and gearing in BMW Diesels feel soooo much better ?

I agree to @JohnboyC. Mine feels really sluggish too. Ive got the 136ps and chipped to 180ps but still sluggish

We've got a 136 and reading online, it's got a few extra bits like the steering switches off when you're not using it and stuff to save fuel. When I first got it. Mpg was low, 46ish. 3 tanks later were at 50mpg (workedout at the pumps - 52mpg onthe dash) fitteda dtuk crde box Thursday and went to Cheshire and the dash is reading 62mpg.
It was on about 200 miles at quarter of a tank. Feels nippier too.

Do you have Audi drive select on the car, enabling this and switching to dynamic should help the throttle response, otherwise get yourself a 3.0 TDI and you won't be short of throttle response then :) .

I've just ordered a DTUK pedal system. I already had driveselect installed and activated on dynamic but it was slightly different

I've just ordered a DTUK pedal system. I already had driveselect installed and activated on dynamic but it was slightly different
It's the same on the 190ps. ADS in Dynamic is better but it is only a subtle change. It just takes the deadness out of early throttle response rather then making it what I would consider 'Dynamic'.

AMAZING!!! Almost no turbo lag in sport+ mode

Reactions: Scott.T
Glad you like.
I may have to reign it in a bit when the tuning box goes on.
I tried pedal box in sport+ and ADS in Comfort. It still felt good and if anything more linear.

Ive got ADS in Dynamic and Sport+ with 3 light bulbs on

I was just playing in Comfort mode to see what effect MMI ADS adjustments had over the Pedal Box.
It soon went back to Dynamic ;)