diff broken?

jonathan english

Reaction score
what does a broken diff found like? Think mine may have gone :( jacked both from wheels off the ground and if I turn one the other stays still? Theres a kind of grindey kmocky noise coming from the front? Also worth noting that all 4 wheels spin up on the grass when accelerating?

You're worried that your diff might be broken but you're saying power is getting to all 4 wheels?

I'm very confused.. Slow down a little and stop panicking too much. Does your car feel like it's "crab walking" when you turn tight corners? Like a wheel is skipping?

well I dont think its the diff maybe a driveshaft or cv joint? Basically there a vibratey crunchy noise as u accelerate and If you drive slow there a slight noise almost like the brakes are gripping slightly? Anyway I have recorded it but its not easy to here Il attach a link in a sec!

Not having much luck with your s3 mate! Hard to help you with your issue from those videos. I wouldn't know anyway. Engine sounds fiesty. What's the mod spec?

yea thats not a fiesty engine lol it the noise thats making it sound like that? Anyway its a remapped s3 with a badger intake pipe and a beach buggy turbo and a jetex cone filter bought it really nothing special! Wish I was having some luck literally got no more money to chuck at it but at the same time love it to bits! Dunno whether to fix it and cut my losses or to keep repairing ? Wanna take it to stage 2 but when I get round to ordering bits something else breaks! Everyone's getting fed up of it lol

oh well spose it needs to go to the garage how much am I looking at to replace a cv joint or a driveshaft? Crazy maisy

Take it to a garage and let them tell you what's wrong with it first. CV joints usually click when you're turning the wheel and accelerating. I haven't watched your videos, but is that the kind of noise you're getting? You shouldn't be getting excess vibrations. Also, I've never heard of a driveshaft on these cars needing replacing, and if it did I doubt you'd be able to drive the car.

You seem to be panicking a lot, just go to a garage, and let them tell you what's wrong with it. If the price they give you seems expensive call a few other places and ask for quotes.

yea I dont no and its hard to describe :( id say its a grindy noise and it sounds like its coming from the passenger wheel and can be felt through the steering wheel? Only noticeable under load and a quiet grind when going really slow I.e. Under 10mph

sorry mate I have no idea what it is, I'm no mechanic. You shouldn't drive it until you get it checked out..

well its booked in at a garage on Wednesday so hopefully will get it sorted! As for not driving it I cant as I need it to get to work and the guy that usually would give me a lift is on holiday this week so will have to drive it :(

ok I've been told not to drive it as my engines fallen out lol! Apparently its dropped an inch and a half and its because the os engine mount bracket has gone :( been told its an Audi only part and its £110+vat and £60 to fit? Is it hard to do yourself? I believe the part number is 1JO 199 262 CL theres used ones on ebay will these do?

ok I've been told not to drive it as my engines fallen out lol! Apparently its dropped an inch and a half and its because the os engine mount bracket has gone :( been told its an Audi only part and its £110+vat and £60 to fit? Is it hard to do yourself? I believe the part number is 1JO 199 262 CL theres used ones on ebay will these do?

If you have access to the right equipment and tools it's very easy. Ideally a ramp and a trolley jack, strong socket set and you're good to go. But I think you may be able to do it with just a trolley jack on the drive way?

I didn't realise the mounts were so pricey.

I did it with axle stands and a trolley jack. wasn't the most fun job in the world but really wasn't that hard. You just have to move a couple things out of the way.

I'm sure you can buy one off eBay and get the guys to fit it for you

I managed to get one off ebay for £20 and the garage said they would fit it for £40-60 (depending on how long it takes bit they said should be £40) almost not worth doing myself at that price but at least its sorted! And not at a massive cost!

for 40 - 60 pounds get them to do it, saves you worrying about torquing them correctly etc. One thing, I'm not sure if you can reuse the same bolts. May want to find that out.

oh poo!!! Are they those stupid stretch bolts? Does anyone know what I need to get?

you might be able to reuse the same ones, I'm not sure.

use the search function and you will find the answer

Whenever I've had an engine out or mounts off for various reasons I've always used the same bolts. Then again, I've never done it with the S3 so maybe it's a unique thing with them?

garage got new bolts for me so should be hunky dorey!! The engine was sitting on the prop shaft!! Lol

For what its worth engine mount bolts should be replaced as the are stretch bolts

Part numbers can be found using the partsbase link in the stickies

<tuffty/>