Diff balance questions?

aidank1981

Reaction score
Hello all!
Thinkin ta buy the wife an a3 2.0tdi 170 s-line quattro 55/56 plate, nice enough ta let me keep the s4 and for me not to be ashamed to be seen in (ie her current car)
The big question is what the new diff set up on these cars? My 99 s3 had the Haldex ie the pretty much fwd which I upgraded to the new style set up ie pretty 40/60 to the rear. After having the 50/50 s4 I wouldn't go back hence what diffs are fitted to these 8p's these days (or more importantly in 05/06)
Cheers!

Its Haldex on the A/S3. The 55/06 plate ones will be the second generation Haldex. You wont be able to get a Haldex system with rear bias at all unless the front wheels loose traction as the power is tapped off the front diff to feed the aft wheels through a clutch pack. The best it can do with all wheels having grip is 50/50 and that wont be very often at all and only for short times as the system is reactive and backs off power to the rear if it isn't required. That said it doesn't run as FWD until the wheels spin as some people believe and is constantly shifting power to the rear wheels in most driving conditions. You can also get Haldex performance controllers which will make the unit work more aggressively sending more power aft and for longer giving more rear bias feel.