Diesel power button

dieseldoug

Reaction score
My wife has just found out how to get the extra power from the car by pushing the accelerator pedal down on to the switch to get the extra power from the car. Then she mentions WHY I didn't tell her before typical woman!! But anyway she is very impressed with the extra power, you also hear the change in the note of the engine while this in use, MPG who cares.

Reactions: SJW
Put a rubber block about an inch in height under pedal & say it was a software glitch, which has now been fixed so its slower, lol.

Reactions: SJW
Yes but his is a manual, so it cant kickdown as such

Reactions: hittchy
It only works when Drive Select is in efficiency mode in my experience - obviously it's keeping some power in reserve for economy reasons. In dynamic mode it does nothing at all. Not sure about the other modes.

So the manual does have a kickdown stopper on the pedal then?

I will check the mode it's in but it halls *** all the time, I know it will not be in economy mode that's for sure..... Nothing to do with kick down on manual transmission!,!!
I will find out more and report

Reactions: icebun

It's not a 'kickdown' as such but similar in feel. There is a point of resistance at the end of the throttle travel similar to that found on auto models. I only drive mine in Auto or Dynamic mode and I find it doesn't do much at all, beside fully open the throttle. I guess if you weren't pushing the throttle all the way down, you weren't exploiting the full power of the car anyway. I find I very rarely need to push it down so far!

It may well be that it functions differently in efficiency or comfort modes though as has been stated above.

It only works when Drive Select is in efficiency mode in my experience - obviously it's keeping some power in reserve for economy reasons. In dynamic mode it does nothing at all. Not sure about the other modes.

I refuse on principle to drive in efficiency. :)

The whole point of buying diesel over petrol was so that I didn't have to worry about economy!

Reactions: TreborA4, cemerson, squiretolley and 3 others
Only really use Dynamic, did drive the return leg of a 70 mile round trip (35miles) in efficiency mode only to achieve 3 mpg more. Think my car will live in Dynamic mode from now on.

Mark

Reactions: SJW, dieseldoug and hittchy
I have a 2.0 S Line 3 door and in efficientcy and auto l also find that mpg is worse than in dynamic - hence it stays in dynamic.

It has a similar "stopper" whereby you have to push a bit harder to overcome a little resistance, then the pedal moves a bit further.

It's obviously not "kickdown" though as it's not affecting your gears, just seems to give you all the engine's power when in the efficiency mode.

I use Dynamic all the time and it does absolutely nothing at all.

On cars I've driven with the speed limiter option (no idea why Audi didn't include this, I use it all the time in my car!), it overrides the limit temporarily when you push past the resistance point

I have not been back out to the car to check the mode it's currently in, but when my wife is on the button she has just joined a fast flow of traffic and having to accelerate fast hence she will also be doing between 3300-4000 RPM also so she aint hanging around....
This is usually in 2nd to 4th gears where she has broken the speed limit of 70 anyway..

Just checked the car manual page 85 which states this "button" is a kick down used in manual gearbox cars when in ECO mode. This will give the car more acceleration when pushed.
But we use the car in auto and use the "kick down" button which changes the engine noise of the car and it appears to change the acceleration of the car also.

When you check page 85 it will also refer you to page 129