Diesel hard starting, leak back?

kevbu

Reaction score
Some mornings my 1.9 TDI (130) takes 20 to 30 seconds cranking to fire up after first start it's fine for rest of day.
It started failing the first frosty morning we had but I'm not sure if this is coincidence as sometimes it won't start at 9* but will at 5*.
I tested glow plugs and changed 2. Put new fuel filter and new valve on top, because I think air is getting in somewhere.
Anyone any experience of where the air could be getting in and fuel leaking back.
Another reason I think it's leaking back is that if I park it nose down, it starts first turn. My drive is maybe 5% incline.

Can you here the in tank pump prime for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on ? . Assuming the glow plugs are working 100% sounds like a fuelling issue. If you have VCDS you can use the output facility to turn the in tank pump on to check it's working OK and flow is good.

Thanks, I'll check in morning when it's least likely to start.
Would it be an obvious noise? I do have sound deadening stuck all over the metal under the seat bench.

With the radio turned off you should be able to hear the "swoosh" when the pump starts up. Just turn the ignition on.

I lifted bench to listen and when put ignition on I heard the swhoosh.
It was minus 2 when I started car this morning and it started on the key.
I had it parked nose down though, I'm sure if it was other way around it wouldn't have started easy.
I've never had the rocker cover off to look at injectors. Are there any leak off pipes under there too?

Any sign of leakage from the diesel hoses coming out of the tandem pump?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'll have to check the weekend. I took top engine cover off today but couldn't really see much under tandem pump.
Ill get the inspection mirrors and torch out.
The vacuum side is oily, but I think they all are from what I've read.

Im having same problem but not at low temperatures
trying new fuel filter & check valve,
did you sort out issue what was it ?

I've got so used to parking it downhill it's not been a problem, but I suspect it would still not start if I parked nose up.
Sorry not much help.
I also changed filter and check valve on top of it but no change when I did it in December.
If you do find a cure please update.
I live in Thames valley so relatively flat, but when we go on hols it can be difficult to find a downhill parking space.
I had a Saab with same symptoms. It was the leak off pipes went porous but they were easily visible and easy to change.