Diesel Fuel Consumption - Regular or Ultra?

Regular or Ultra Diesel

• Regular

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Ultra

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

andy203

Q5 Black Edition
Reaction score
Know there have been previous post concerning diesel fuel consumption, but thought I would start another with a Poll in it to discover what people are using, regular or ultra? Would also be interested in what mode cars are being driven in ie. Auto, comfort, individual etc and what mpg they are actually achieving in either their 1.6 or 2.0 litre cars. Have they noticed any difference as their engines bed in? We all experience improvement with the warmer weather.

184Quattro s-tronic plus DTUK tuning box: 1500 miles so far. Use regular diesel and get about 480 miles to a tank (more accurately 60 miles per LED on the fuel gauge). Most of my driving is A roads/motorways - averaging 40ish mph over a 25 mile journey to/from work. Engine style is "auto" and I'm not light with my right foot....

Live close to a Shell so use their normal diesel.

Drive Mon-Friday in Efficiency mode and my commute ranges from 44mpg to 55mpg (always the same route). To get 55mpg I pretty much have to get out and push it; coast down hills, stare at the gear change indicator and apply acceleration lightly.

More often than not I get around 49mpg but even that's only possible with some consciously economical driving.

At the weekends, I whack it in to Dynamic and drive it like I've stolen it. And oddly, still get around 44mpg!

My journey to work is twisty A and B roads though so I'm always having to decide the best gear fromm 4th, 5th and 6th. Spend a lot of time around the 45mph to 55mph range which is right in the sweet spot for 5th/6th. So it's easy to put it in to top gear and within a couple of hundred yards find that it's labouring.

It's quite possible I should have got the 1.6TDi!

I have the 2.0TDI, everything in dynamic except steering, which is in comfort. Regular diesel (I don't believe it makes a difference with diesel, certainly not enough of one to justify paying the extra for 'premium'), average about 50 most of the time at the moment in this weather on the way to work (A road with villages). Best average I've seen is 63.3 on a Nottingham -> Newcastle trip the other week

2.0TDI 150bhp - regular diesel, long term average 47.5mpg (6000 miles), driven relatively hard and always in dynamic

Who is the one person who has completed the poll so far that is using the Ultra - and what mpg are you getting?

150ps, averaged 48ish over 20k miles, standard diesel usually Shell, dynamic mode and driven pretty hard most of the time.

2.0 tdi s line sportback. 9000 miles from new since september. Do approx 60 miles per day commute and mpg for life of the car is 51.7, at the minute most trips to and from work I'm getting 51-59 mpg depending on weather and traffic. My route is a mix of dual carriageway and heavy town traffic. Really happy with economy of car thus far.

Always in dynamic mode.
Often have a passenger
Don't hammer it but don't drive slow.
Don't use air con that much

184 TDI averaging 50 mpg, always in dynamic.

Last edited:
My 184 Quattro s-tronic driven mostly in auto has returned a average of 37.2 mph over 5500 miles from new. Mph is getting better was 36.2 overall. I drive to work on a roads and motorways. Refuel on standard diesel from Tesco.

4 persons now according to the Poll using Ultra or similar but no posts as to what mpg they are getting. Am I thinking wrongly that someone is messing with the Poll?

I only use Premium fuel as I have a fuel card, so why wouldn't I !!!!!, over 9k miles im averaging 38mpg (which has gone up slightly since I have a TDI-Tuning Box installed.

38 seems very low... which engine is that for?

The real MPG figures are definitely miles off the advertised combines figures.

Does make you wonder how they come up with them.

I was hoping for late 50s, reality is late 40s if I try hard.

Still good considering the performance, but no where near what Audi would have you believe is possible.

184 S-Tronic quattro.... its a company car with a fuel card, which I believe makes it possible the fastest car "in the World" :undwech:

The real MPG figures are definitely miles off the advertised combines figures.

Does make you wonder how they come up with them.

The advertised figures come from a prescribed test which all manufacturers use.

New European Driving Cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The test is done in controlled conditions on a chassis dyno, and you can be damn sure they massively optimise their engine management and test strategy to coax every drop out of the engine.

They should (and afaik they do) state that the advertised MPG figures are from a controlled test and may not represent real world figures.

Well had the car for a week now - no journeys over 15 miles to date (although have long trip at weekend) only returning 38mpg - so far driving in Auto mode, most trips have been between 6-10 miles to date. Hope that it improves on the week end run. Using Regular Tesco's diesel.

Economy definitely improves over time. I've done about 10,500 miles now.

Have been looking at the Tech Data figures for the 184ps Quattro - as quoted in Boucher
Urban 48.7
Extra Urban 64.2
Combined 57.6
However they fail to clarify what mode they were running the vehicle in when these test were conducted, would lay odds that it certainly was not in dynamic mode.

My current figure of 38mpg is well off the 57.6 combined figure

184Quattro s-tronic plus DTUK tuning box: 1500 miles so far. Use regular diesel and get about 480 miles to a tank (more accurately 60 miles per LED on the fuel gauge). Most of my driving is A roads/motorways - averaging 40ish mph over a 25 mile journey to/from work. Engine style is "auto" and I'm not light with my right foot....
Sorry to cut in, but how are you finding the DTUK tuning box with this engine? I've a fwd, manual 184PS, and I'm getting around 450-60 to a tank with 1300 miles on the clock.

Have been looking at the Tech Data figures for the 184ps Quattro - as quoted in Boucher
Urban 48.7
Extra Urban 64.2
Combined 57.6
However they fail to clarify what mode they were running the vehicle in when these test were conducted, would lay odds that it certainly was not in dynamic mode.

My current figure of 38mpg is well off the 57.6 combined figure

Audi were taken to task by the Advertising watchdog for making misleading mpg claims Ad watchdog labels Audi MPG claims ‘misleading’ | Auto Express But then all the companies do the same and they should all be taken with a pinch of salt. Ford put a disclaimer in their car brochures that clearly state the mpg figure will differ under real world motoring.
The mpg figures of 38 is interesting as it is the same as my car being driven around town with short journey's of only 5 miles..

Last edited:
Sorry to cut in, but how are you finding the DTUK tuning box with this engine? I've a fwd, manual 184PS, and I'm getting around 450-60 to a tank with 1300 miles on the clock.
I am running on (the recommended) 4+1 and the car definitely feels more eager and willing to accelerate. It doesn't punch you in the back with acceleration, but power delivery is more aggressive than the stock engine and fairly constant through the revs. which means when you expect the power to give out, it doesn't. In fact, all of a sudden you are going very quickly indeed and speed is still rising - you definitely end up backing off before the car does - even on long straight bits of road (clearly, I only ever reach the speed limit and back off but...). Fuel economy is about the same as before as far as I can tell, although the computer fuel consumption has gone down (I can hit 50mpg on the dash if I'm careful - I only managed 45 with the stock engine). I manage around 475 on a tank (although I usually fill up when there's around 30% left in the tank). My driving style is fast but not aggressive - if I'm stuck behind someone doing 40 in a 50 zone, I'll stick behind them until it is safe to overtake rather than take chances, but I "drive it like I stole it" if there's a chance to do so safely.... :)

I have had one "issue" though - the car decided to show a glowplug light in the dash. Bizarrely, this happened at traffic lights - the auto stop/start kicked in and wouldn't restart and when I did restart the car, it entered "safety mode" where the car will drive, but with no power and acceleration. A quick call to Andrew @ DTUK who answered within 1 ring(!) and he suggested turning the program down one notch (from 4+1 -> 4+0) but I didn't have my screwdriver with me so put the blanking plug in for the rest of the journey. This cleared the light immediately and allowed an unplanned back-to-back. I'd say the stock engine is a little quieter and more refined, but not as swift(!). I turned the box down for a day (to 4+0) but decided I'd try it again at 4+1, so have had it at that for a week (and 300 miles) and all has - so far - been fine. One other thing I'm not sure about (and I mention it for completeness as I'm monitoring it and don't have a definitive view on it yet) is I'm not sure if the car is doing more DPF regens. Most of my journeys are A roads/M-ways, so I don't stop very often (and I'm normally moving at 40mph+) so I'm not often at a standstill to see if the revs are up and the auto stop/start doesn't kick in (I believe these are both pointers to DPF regens happening) but I am getting that characteristic hot exhaust pipe smell quite often although that could just be down to me pushing it and a fairly new car. I guess it'll take me a few weeks to figure that out to my satisfaction.

My only concern about putting it on a FWD car would be that you need to be careful with the power. We also have a FWD 170ps Skoda Superb (the old version of the 184 engine) and I can quite easily spin the wheels on damp roads with that, although how you find it will be down to your driving style (the quattro is more forgiving of my pedal to the metal style of driving :))

Reactions: Migwire
Audi were taken to task by the Advertising watchdog for making misleading mpg claims Ad watchdog labels Audi MPG claims ‘misleading’ | Auto Express But then all the companies do the same and they should all be taken with a pinch of salt. Ford put a disclaimer in their car brochures that clearly state the mpg figure will differ under real world motoring.
The mpg figures of 38 is interesting as it is the same as my car being driven around town with short journey's of only 5 miles..

Interesting - as you say - figures for your vehicle Urban, extra Urban and Combined are very similar to the Quattro, and from what you have said the usage is similar as well. And performance 0-60 there is only a couple of seconds in it!!! However I do like the 4 wheel drive.

Well just done a 140 mile run, car set in Auto mode, driving on A roads, mostly 60 limit however approx 40 miles dual carriageway, some 40mph limit. Returned 54 mpg, which I think is reasonable. A little bit happier now.

However, having just checked, Ford still do in their electronic downloadable brochures...
Ahh... you're right... except not for the auto boxes (at least in the Focus eBrochure) - I guess when you accelerate in those from 31-62, it doesn't stay in 4th....

Probably too many variables to really measure it meaningfully (I mean, if you're accelerating from 31-62 to overtake, are you likely to stay in 4th to do it?)