diesel expert please help

karl210

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2009 mazda 6 2.0d which smokes very irratically, it will do it once warm for 30 seconds and thats it.

Anyway ive purchased a panasonic toughbook with the delphi diagnostics installed.

I went through the list on it and cleared all fuel pump, egr, maf, dpf data etc

Now it idles very very lumpy and will hardly rev up! Please help what have i done to my car?

I am not an expert on the Mazda diesel engine but why would you do that ????.
I suspect that the engine has to be put through a learning / adaption phase or if it's anything like a modern Audi engine each injector comes from the factory with calibration data on it and this has to be entered in the ECU if an injector is changed. the ECU also alters the calibration as the injector is used to account for wear.
Until the calibration / adaption is done it may be in a low power protection mode.
Had a quick Google and found this

http://www.cdn.dk/mazda6/tips.htm

Not sure it's relevent but appears that the injectors can be calibrated, you should be able to do this with the software. If I was you I would use the diagnostics to read fault codes and the like unless you definately know what you are doing. What color is the smoke ?
Blue, white , black could be many things duff injector , EGR issues , turbo etc.
Have you checked the oil level lately.

Karl.

Ok its running fine now! And feels to pull a bit harder too! It just needed to run for a few minutes and then it sorted itself out.
The smoke is a bluey grey, and yes i have changed the oil

i think i will be a little more carefull with that machine from now on haha. Ive been teying to chase down this problem on the mazda forum but there all a bit useless.
About 5-10 mins into my journey the car piles out a bluey/grey smoke out the back which stinks to high heaven and stings your nose. This lasts for about a minute then its fine!
Also the throttle seems very jerky when ita happening and sometimes when it isnt. Eg if i was coasting in gear then apply the throttle a tiny bit, the car would hesitate then jerk as power is applied, then when i remove the throttle the car carries on then jerks off...... Apolagies for that description haha

Wouldnt the dpf light come up on the dash though? It lights up when i turn the car on for 2 seconds then goes out. Ive just put a full tank in last week and been revving the knackers off it. I did a dpf check on that laptop and it said its fine. It has the option of forcing a regen, do you think this is worth it? Is it worth taking off and firing conpressed air backwards through it? Thanks