1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel emissions a joke....

Tony shev Jan 29, 2018

1. Tony shev

Tony shev New Member Audi A3

how doo people, how do you guys put up with when either the DPF goes tits up or the EGR gives up which mine has. Bought the car last November and regretting it.
    oh, my car is a 2011 Audi A3 tdi 170 black edition...

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Gazwould

Gazwould Well-Known Member

4. Alan A

Alan A Member

I had similar problems with my pd170.
    DPF blocked so I had to get it cleaned out, and also cleaned the EGR valve etc.
    I know it's expensive but I now use either shell v power, bp ultimate or esso, plus I use an additive, Archoil D Max AR 6900. I had the soot levels in the dpf checked last Friday and showed only 3%, so well happy with that.

5. Gazwould

Save a fortune and add 2 Stroke oil to the diesel.

6. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

I've read the earlier PD170s had DPF issues. Three most common causes of DPF issues on the CR diesels are 1) wrong engine oil, 2) a car only doing short/slow speed journeys and 3) EGR (e.g. blocked/stuck) which eventually results in DPF issues. Not had any issues with my CR170. Problems with injectors or failing turbos, dumping either extra fuel or oil into the system, can also cause problems.

7. RSTHRILLER

RSTHRILLER LOVE 5 BANGERS

blank egr and delete dpf jobs done

8. Cornish John

Cornish John Active Member Silver Supporter TDi Audi A3 Black Edition Sportback

Same!
    Its now got 244000 on the clock, still no problems and looking forward to my little 160 mile drive each way tomorrow, I know the car wont fail me!
    Changed the oil again this morning along will new front pads, oil had only done 5000 miles that was in there, cant beat changing that oil as often as you can.

My son as just bought the same car as mine, with only 112000 miles, will be interesting to see how it gets on!

I wonder what Audi Gazwould drives, seems to know a lot about failed motors lol

Retroman likes this.
  9. Gazwould

Finally the penny drops for VAG .

[​IMG]

10. Cornish John

All about common sense I believe!!

The more you service and look after your car, the longer its going to last!

Not rocket science, or do we all need spoon feeding these days.............................

Well, as an engineer in the Royal Navy for 32 years its worked for me!!!!!

Gazwould likes this.
  11. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

Remember when I was a kid, working on my old car, and by old dad would bring his friends around (all aircraft engine engineers) and they would pat me on the head and say "young retroman. the finest thing you can do to the engine is to change the oil twice as frequently as recommended". :highly amused:

Cornish John likes this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Mario

Mario Active Member TDi Audi A4 quattro S-line owners group S tronic Manual

Where did you get that from?

14. Ash79

Ash79 New Member

If it helps my 138hp was regenerating quite often, was dreading the DPF problem.

After parking up at home after work the car would be revving up over 1000rpm and the fans would be running.

Now I use Shell V Power and go the motorway for 10 mins on the way back from work and keep it above 2000rpm.

Car is running much smoothly, quieter and no more regens when I park up.

15. Cornish John

I visit my Dad once a week, 150 motorway miles each way.
    That's the key I'm sure.
    245,765 miles now.

mxnrg likes this.
  16. Ash79

Ash79 New Member

Yowzers! 245,765 miles!

Excellent, fills me with confidence then, mines just a pup with 37,000.

The diesel engine is excellent but with these dpf's attached they need to be running 2000 rpm+ consistently to burn that soot off.