Diesel additives

Tariq Khan

Reaction score
Hi,

I use only premium diesel in my audi a6 c6 Le Mans 2.0 tdi. It is a 2010 model with 129k. Would anyone advise on adding additional additives e.g. Millers, max tane. I am just giving the names of some that appear as good brands with good reviews. Majority of my driving is city driving with traffic, I usually average 8mph with an average of 18-25mpg. It states that I should be getting 39mpg. I do usually cold start drive but there must be a way to improve mpg. I look forward to your replies.

Diesels are not going to get their mileage if driven in cities the majority of the time but that does seem excessive. Millers is good stuff but as your using premium fuels it’s the same thing. What I would be looking at is the service history of the car. What has it been like and consider doing a full service just to give you peace of mind.

Eurocarparts.com are doing very good offers on filters at the moment 50% off for filters and brakes with delivery being free. Use code BLACKFRIDAY
IMG 3406

I have added stanadyne performance additive which has improved my mpg. I am now using Costco diesel which they say is shell v power but I believe it will be shell's standard diesel. My mpg has definently improved. With a full tank of 66 litres, I am getting between 320-340 miles which is not too bad (I think).

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Wow that’s crazy. On the A4 b9 190ps 2.0tdi with 40l tank I get 420miles to empty. Mixed driving. Obviously a much lighter car and smaller engine.

Hi ,

The car had no service history so when I brought it I had the big service, brake pads & discs replaced and cam belt and water pump changed. I believe I have done everything required, the car drives beautifully. Is my mpg still too low for a a6 c6?

I try to get a 30 mile trip every 2 weeks on the motorway other than this it is cold starts e.g. School run and back and forth to work which is within a 5 mile radius

Yeah that is my conclusion also now but I love the car, will keep it for 2 years and move onto something new. Thanks for all your input.

Do you keep the car in a garage? Maybe try a heater under the car to get it a bit warmer before you leave but that may cost more in leccy than you'd save on mpg Other than that there isn't much you can do .I get poor Mpg in the same car doing short journeys. Engine is barely warm when I park up.

I have heard good things about bg244 I think it's .called

Shall I continue with stanadyne or try bg244. Bg244 treats 60 litres of fuel, how often do you add this to your fuel?

I wouldn't bother to be honest. Maybe use one every now and then but I wouldn't use it all the time especially if your using good quality fuel. There really isn't much you can do about your mpg other than sell up and get a Nissan leaf! Or cycle, Would probably be quicker!

I'd be more concerned with the state of your dpf dn those journeys.

Last edited:
My b7 1.9tdi (110hp chipped to 150hp, 5-speed gearbox) does roughly 1100km on 62-65 liters of diesel, I daily commute about 60km with it(30km per trip). warm-up period is usually within the city, and the rest is highway(doing 120km/hr)

Hi,

I'm keeping this beauty. I just want to be sure that my car is at its optimum best. Thinking about it, when i purchased my vehicle, there was a cheap scart and cable part attached to the engine which the mechanic took out, this was I believe to remap the car, do you reckon someone has altered the true timing of the car? Please see image attached ... 20181119 201245 20181119 201245 20181119 201210 20181119 201245

Could this diesel chip have anything to do with the high mpg. I had it taken out immediately so I cannot compare on performance before and after

You never know with them things, they fool sensors to make the car dump more fuel in. It won't have helped especially since you spend most of your time crawling in traffic.

That box can o my modify anything when it's plugged into your car, remove it and you are back to standard.

Vcds is a tool you can use to diagnose faults and run tests etc, there are also cheaper versions that don't go as far in as vcds does but gives most people what they need. They are carista and obdeleven.

Last edited:
What would you recommend I do to see if the engine is running at its optimum best. I am pretty sure there are no faults in the car as there are no warning lights on. The gear change is smooth and the car drives beautifully. It does sound a bit heavy, do you recommend I get a check done and which one would you recommend