Did I kill my engine?

gussyldr

Reaction score
So I bought my 2005 a3 2.0tfsi engine code AXX about a week ago with full service history and 84000 miles on it.
And two days ago low oil light comes on so I topped up with two litres of castrol edge 5w-30 oil and thought nothing of it.
Then yesterday I felt like opening her up abit so I put it in S and done a launch and drove it hard for about three minutes then the low oil pressure light comes on so I stop and turn off the engine and check the oil and it was fine turned it back on and the engine was vary loud but I had to drive it a couple hundred yards to park it safely but in doing so the engine cut out??
Then when I tried to restart it cranks over very slow but won't start??
I've got it recoved to my local mechanic but he's not told me the damage yet?

Do you guys think I've killed the engine by driving it that extra couple yards

Sounds like it could be partially seized from your description.
Not good mate and will be a costly repair.
The original issue would've more than likely been the oil pick up pipe being blocked a £30 part!!

Reactions: grchmason
Sounds similar to mine mate but got no oil lights. Spun a bearing, piston smacking the head. Engine is out and new one on its way. If it's dead then get in touch with David at engines1st as they were cheapest for fully reconditioned unit 1264 quid delivered and fittings is 250-300 from my mate that runs a garage.

Hope you're lucky but sorry to say it doesn't sound good. Look at Craig culls posts on the b7 forum about these ******** tfsis.

Sounds similar to mine mate but got no oil lights. Spun a bearing, piston smacking the head. Engine is out and new one on its way. If it's dead then get in touch with David at engines1st as they were cheapest for fully reconditioned unit 1264 quid delivered and fittings is 250-300 from my mate that runs a garage.

Hope you're lucky but sorry to say it doesn't sound good. Look at Craig culls posts on the b7 forum about these ******** tfsis.

Am still waiting for my mechanic to tell me the damage done
If I do need a new engine (which I think I do) I'll get in touch with David
Where's your mate located? am in north london

Sorry buddy about 300 miles of you. I'm in Newcastle.

I asked an indy how much and they said around 500 for fitting.

Obviously get a new pcv, stat, cambelt and tensioner, coilpacks etc I think my total bill is gonna be around 1900.

I'd had the car 29 days before it died, bought privately as well.

just out of curiosity. why did u fill 2 litres? top up is usually 1

just out of curiosity. why did u fill 2 litres? top up is usually 1

I wanted to be on the safe side I guess and the previous owner had it on the long life service and my mate told me it's not good
What I should've done was change the oil completely

Sounds like a lot of oil even from minimum be about a litre at best :S

My mechanic finally looking at my car and says I need a cylinder head with camshafts and said the bottem is fine I don't know how the camshaft chain snapped but the belt didn't? But if any ones selling a cylinder head with camshafts am interested as close to London as possible thanks

I don't know for definite but I distinctly remember someone saying the other on difference between engine codes is the bwa has a revised inlet camshaft and are interchangeable but I'd wait for confirmation from someone who can sat for sure.