Diamond Cut Rotors Powder Coating

Rowan88

Reaction score
I have 19" 5 Arm Rotor (Black Edition) alloys on my A4 2011.

I got two of the wheels diamond cut repaired last year but the guy did tell me the winter over here destroys diamond cut alloys and you will constantly be getting them repaired, so I am opting to get all 4 powder coated.

I was recommended to go for Satin Black as they said this would suit the car more:

IMG_0206.jpg

I was just wondering

1) How powder coating is in terms of getting any repairs done. Do you need to get the full wheel resprayed or can you touch it up?

2) Also my brake calipers are layered with rust, I was also recommended getting them painted, can they be powder coated also?

3) I am opting for getting the full wheel done at the moment, but I will miss the diamond cut trim look, is it possible to get that section powder coated different from the arms and would that cost more?

Had bad experiences with diamond cut before, so opted for silver rotors and then masked/painted them to achieve a similar finish.
Means they are more durable and can potentially be 'touched up' if necessary in the future.

Downside is that it's a bit of an upfront investment, as there's a fair bit of labour to effectively finish them twice (plus all the time/effort to carefully mask everything up).

To achieve the same approach, you'd need to get them powder-coated silver, then mask/paint the gunmetal.

Alternatively, if the gunmetal portion is fine on yours, then I guess you could do the opposite - mask off and then paint just the diamond cut area silver!

Last edited:
Reactions: Meemo, daytonamart and Gazwould
Thanks,

I was opting to just powder coat them all silver similar to this:

IMG_3234_zps33df918b.jpg

but since it was getting done I thought I may aswell change it up a bit and go for black since its a black edition with nice black trims on the car.

Thinking maybe full satin black alloy, then to break it up a bit from the white car either paint caliper white or red, and possibly get some rim protectors in white to break off the black from the tyre.

Reactions: Meemo
How are you going to get the right silver for touching up when the inevitable happens ?

Need to paint the diamond cut parts on mine. Didnt even last a year from freshly re-done before the spidering kicked back in :(

Hoping for a decent silver to do the diamond cut bits and leave the grey powder-coat alone.

I have 19" 5 Arm Rotor (Black Edition) alloys on my A4 2011.

I got two of the wheels diamond cut repaired last year but the guy did tell me the winter over here destroys diamond cut alloys and you will constantly be getting them repaired, so I am opting to get all 4 powder coated.

I was recommended to go for Satin Black as they said this would suit the car more:

IMG_0206.jpg

I was just wondering

1) How powder coating is in terms of getting any repairs done. Do you need to get the full wheel resprayed or can you touch it up?

2) Also my brake calipers are layered with rust, I was also recommended getting them painted, can they be powder coated also?

3) I am opting for getting the full wheel done at the moment, but I will miss the diamond cut trim look, is it possible to get that section powder coated different from the arms and would that cost more?

I really don't like diamond cut (the looks and the longevity) so had the 21s on my SQ5 powder coated gloss black within a month of ownership. IMO looks a lot better than OME but if I was doing it again I'd probably go satin or maybe even matt.

1) Needless to say someone who shall remain nameless kerbed the f/n/s about 3 weeks later :-( It was quite a nasty one and to get a perfect repair I'd need to get the wheel done again, about £50, but I rubbed the damaged area down and touched it in with airfix enamel paint. It's not perfect but I'm the only one who notices it. If it had been the original diamond cut it would have to have gone off to the refurbers at about £150.

2) Got the calipers sprayed at the same time, £200, they look as good as OME. If they had to have been taken off for powder coating the bill would have been a lot more.

3) Like others have said masking off would take ages and be a real PITA - IMO.

Thanks for the replies.. ive got till Friday to decide what colour I will get. Most likely just get it fully done satin black and if it looks too much black for the white car im sure I can do some tinkering to even it out.. even if white rim blades are needed.

I also got suggested if I went for the black alloys I could see about getting the roof wrapped black, does anyone know what a normal price is for a solid colour roof wrap?

Thanks for the replies.. ive got till Friday to decide what colour I will get. Most likely just get it fully done satin black and if it looks too much black for the white car im sure I can do some tinkering to even it out.. even if white rim blades are needed.
Interested to see how this turns out. Always wondered about if I ever need to change my colour in the future.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I've had my wheels diamond cut & ran them throughout winter. I coated them with gtechniq C5 before putting them on the car & they've been on over 18 months & they're fine apart from the wife curbing them !!

IMG 1521

Will give that stuff a go after they have been done on Friday as a precaution. If I decide to get the diamond cut back at some point then I will definetley use that stuff next time..

What about this option? Think it looks ok on Misano red.

Attachments

• RS4_B8_Rotor_wheel_refurbishment_3-300x300.jpg
    RS4_B8_Rotor_wheel_refurbishment_3-300x300.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,305
Phoned powder coating place they are booked for next month.. my friend recommended another guy to me but its plasti dipped. Is plasti dip any good or should I get powder coat?

Also if I can get it cheap enough I would like to have spokes satin black but get my diamond cut trims painted silver like this;
geteqaqy.jpg

Reactions: feva
I phoned around a few shops today, this was the results:

HBR Dumbarton - £200 to powder coat 4 wheels, £300 if I wanted the diamond edges painted but they would be hand painted not powder coat, they said it won't look perfect but he has one on display to show me.
ESP - £240 to powder coat 4 wheels, £400 if I want the diamond edges powder coated but I have to phone back tomorrow to speak to manager.
Wheel Pro - £320 to powder coat 4 wheels with powder coated edges, 3-4 day turn around because its a masking job.
Wheel Station - £280 to powder coat 4 wheels with diamond cut trim powder coated, says he has a black and silver on wall he can show me, 2 day turn around.

From speaking to them all The Wheel Station seemed to understand it a bit better, he says the rotor trims are easy to do and also advised I go for gloss black as matt black just has everything cling to it and shows up a lot dirtier as time passes, says the gloss clean up a lot nicer.

Reactions: TechNick and feva
Got my car booked in with Wheel Station for next Wednesday, said he can do all 4 wheels in two tone for £250. Will take around two days. Says he has some on display if I would like to see them first and highly recommends I go for gloss so going to see them tomorrow afternoon.

I am also going to see about getting the calipers and hub painted either black or silver as they are quite rusty looking and it will ruin the new look of the alloys.

Will post some photos once I have them, thanks for the help

Post some pics of the ones he's going to show you @Rowan88 please. Think I'd go silver for calipers if you going black alloys.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Post some pics of the ones he's going to show you @Rowan88 please. Think I'd go silver for calipers if you going black alloys.

Ive attached the alloys they have in shop.. im thinking silver calipers and then get the rusted parts behind the brake disc.. is it the wheel hub?? Painted black.

Attachments

• IMG-20170425-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20170425-WA0021.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2,543
  • IMG-20170425-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20170425-WA0020.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 652
Went to shop to see display models there.. guys were a great help.

Was quoted £250 for all 4 wheels done in a two tone, and he showed me a difference in the satin black and gloss (the gloss did look a lot nicer).

I asked about getting my wheel hub painted black and calipers silver and he quoted me £40.

Said if I bring it in Tuesday afternoon it should be ready for Wednesday if not Thursday latest...

...can't wait :D

Already got my black/chrome wheel center hubs and black bolt caps from eBay, right now I am looking at decals for the calipers, the S-Line decal seems to be the best, not too sure on QUATTRO or AUDI symbols.

Reactions: Meemo, feva and TechNick
Been looking at some decals for the calipers, turns out I don't think I can get the S-Line decal because of the shape and type of calipers (A4 B8). Most likely need the audi symbol or quattro :(

Also still struggling between Satin or Gloss black... got a few more days to decide but everyone seems to say go for Satin black, but I do want it having that nice shine to it, but im not sure if the gloss is "too much" shine, or would it fade down... judging by the picture I put up earlier?

Been looking at some decals for the calipers, turns out I don't think I can get the S-Line decal because of the shape and type of calipers (A4 B8). Most likely need the audi symbol or quattro :(

Also still struggling between Satin or Gloss black... got a few more days to decide but everyone seems to say go for Satin black, but I do want it having that nice shine to it, but im not sure if the gloss is "too much" shine, or would it fade down... judging by the picture I put up earlier?
I had my bmw e90 wheels done in gloss black and the only time they looked dull was when they were covered in brake dust, so don't think they will fade to be honest. It is a tough choice but I'm sure what ever you go for you'll love.

4d69e0e14aa60e0d37db670fe0987e65.jpg

Mine are gloss, they won't fade but look better dirty than clean, I'd go satin.

I had my bmw e90 wheels done in gloss black and the only time they looked dull was when they were covered in brake dust, so don't think they will fade to be honest. It is a tough choice but I'm sure what ever you go for you'll love.

4d69e0e14aa60e0d37db670fe0987e65.jpg

See I think gloss looks better on yours because you have thinner spokes/arms. I think it shows them off more, but if you have bigger spokes like on the rotors a gloss could show up too much...

Mine are gloss, they won't fade but look better dirty than clean, I'd go satin.
Yeah I mean when I looked at their gloss ones in the photo they do look a bit "in your face" like a glass effect, but in the shop they weren't as bright, probably because they were dirtier.

Honestly I think I am swaying more into the Satin black but I just want to make sure I do get enough shine off it that it doesn't look like a boring flat colour..

I also seen a lot of things on youtube about people using PlastiDip Gloss for spraying onto flat alloys to give them a nice pop if required that would move satin into gloss.

See I think gloss looks better on yours because you have thinner spokes/arms. I think it shows them off more, but if you have bigger spokes like on the rotors a gloss could show up too much...

Yeah I mean when I looked at their gloss ones in the photo they do look a bit "in your face" like a glass effect, but in the shop they weren't as bright, probably because they were dirtier.

Honestly I think I am swaying more into the Satin black but I just want to make sure I do get enough shine off it that it doesn't look like a boring flat colour..

I also seen a lot of things on youtube about people using PlastiDip Gloss for spraying onto flat alloys to give them a nice pop if required that would move satin into gloss.
Think you've nailed it there, rotors do have alot of surface area to show off the gloss shine.

Surely they must do the satin with not a completely flat look?

Yeah im sure they will.. as far as I am aware satin has a nice shine to it but if I do need more pop then I can use plastidip glossifier.

Buzzing for this to get done now lol.

My first letdown :(

Went to check the black wheel caps fitted ok and turns out they don't. The sizes they gave are all accurate but when you look at the clip it isn't wide enough so they do not clip into the wheel. I have contacted seller but they want £3-4 return postage on a £6 part so disputing with them just now.

IMG-20170501-_WA0006.jpg

Finding it hard to find ones that show the proper sizes.

Only other options would be:

1) PlastiDip the original caps.
2) Cut the feet off of each cap and glue the thicker feet onto the new black emblems, probably more effort than its worth

:(

Last edited:
Wouldn't let me edit post, but I managed to get the caps onto the wheel. I used the metal ring from the original caps and bent it out a bit further so it pushed the prongs out with it. This is what it looks like currently, just need to get it to the shop tomorrow for the satin black/silver powder coat on alloys, the wheel hubs painted black and the calipers silver..

IGNORE THE GOLDEN BRAKE DISC I JUST WASHED THE CAR :p

IMG-20170501-_WA0012.jpg

Lets hope they don't fall off on way there lol :crying::tearsofjoy:

All the chrome bits should unclip from the centre caps, they did on my spiders anyway, you could get the originals the same finish as the wheels?

I thought about loosing the spiders and going with the centre caps and nut covers, genuine Audi caps were extortionate so got a set from fleebay and a set of genuine black nut covers from the stealers, they weren't too bad price wise actually.

The spiders turned out really well so never used them.

Reactions: ianv5
All the chrome bits do pop out. I removed them on my previous A4 and painted them.

That's the same as I will be doing except the colours inverted.. :) Looks nice..

I was told I don't need to return those eBay center caps so I can keep the gloss ones but I might still pick some satin black paint up today and paint the originals so I can see whether they look nicer with gloss or satin/blended in caps.. :D

Give me a little project to do while the car is away :)

Gave my old grey centre caps a sand, primer and satin black coat.. turned out really nice actually :)

20170502_120558.jpg

Think I prefer them over the gloss caps but will compare tomorrow once I get the car back. I didn't want to fit the old rusty chrome rings and symbol and left the clean new ones in the car lol.

Will post photos of completed alloy/brakes/caps tomorrow after I pick car up :D

Reactions: Archies and feva
Picked car up today:

20170504_152509.jpg

20170504_152515.jpg

Really happy with it prefer the black wheel over gunmetal. Only niggle I have if any is I wish they done the silver trim the same as the caliper. The trim is the colour of the diamond cut edge but the caliper is a very bright silver, who knows it may die down a bit as it was just painted today. They painted the wheel hub black but not the brake dust shield so I suppose this can be a little project for me :D

I've noticed when they masked off the diamond trim at a few bits the line isn't perfect or rolls over (only a 1mm or so) into the black, but like I said you would need to be down at the wheel looking for them.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Meemo, Radford212 and 1 other person
Picked car up today:

20170504_152509.jpg

20170504_152515.jpg

Really happy with it prefer the black wheel over gunmetal. Only niggle I have if any is I wish they done the silver trim the same as the caliper. The trim is the colour of the diamond cut edge but the caliper is a very bright silver, who knows it may die down a bit as it was just painted today. They painted the wheel hub black but not the brake dust shield so I suppose this can be a little project for me :D

I've noticed when they masked off the diamond trim at a few bits the line isn't perfect or rolls over (only a 1mm or so) into the black, but like I said you would need to be down at the wheel looking for them.
Look good @Rowan88

really good looking, and the prices you are quoted are miles better than anything i have found in Hampshite!! very jelly :)

Picked car up today:

20170504_152509.jpg

20170504_152515.jpg

@Rowan88 - Really like that
Looks great buddy