Detailing

Mike Rogers

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I brought myself a Slims DA polisher with the Auto Finesse Revitalise kit. Im planning on using it for the first time over this bank holiday weekend, weather permitting (Im in spain atm and fly back eaely hours saturday so dont know what its like lol).

I know to wash and dry first, then clay the car and prep it ready for the machine polishing process but my question is this...

Ive noticed a few scratches on the car, I was going to use some G3 scratch remover paste on them as ive found this has worked perfect before. Would I use this before I start using the machine polisher ??

I know the first process is removing the scratches and swirls but I dont know wether it is worth me using some of this first on a couple of scratches I think are a little too deep for the polisher to get out and to then go over them with the DA...

Also do you machine polish your front and rear bumpers ?? I know you need to take it a little easier on the bumpers as they are plastic but what does everyone else do ?

Will appreciate your replies :)

Cheers

I’d try the da first the safest approach with scratches is to go at them lightly and if that doesn’t work step it up, if the da will work you’ll remove less top coat

Always go for the safe method over the fast one ;)

Da is fine to use on all panels, and you’ll struggle to do damage with it, just remember to keep moving it around so you don’t generate too much heat in one spot, don’t apply much pressure and don’t run on the highest speed, your compounds might suggest a speed on the packaging

I usually dab the product over a panel and spread on speed 1 then start polishing on speed 3 and then pass again on 4

Using a machine polisher to correct isn’t a quick process if done carefully and I assume the kit you’ve got is a two stage job

One thing to remember is not to rush, I had to machine polish my old A6 and the size of the car was daughting, so i did a couple of panels each week, took me a month to finish the car but the finish was really good and I didn’t do any damage by rushing it

I’d try the da first the safest approach with scratches is to go at them lightly and if that doesn’t work step it up, if the da will work you’ll remove less top coat

Always go for the safe method over the fast one ;)

Da is fine to use on all panels, and you’ll struggle to do damage with it, just remember to keep moving it around so you don’t generate too much heat in one spot, don’t apply much pressure and don’t run on the highest speed, your compounds might suggest a speed on the packaging

I usually dab the product over a panel and spread on speed 1 then start polishing on speed 3 and then pass again on 4

Using a machine polisher to correct isn’t a quick process if done carefully and I assume the kit you’ve got is a two stage job

One thing to remember is not to rush, I had to machine polish my old A6 and the size of the car was daughting, so i did a couple of panels each week, took me a month to finish the car but the finish was really good and I didn’t do any damage by rushing it

Ahhh ok wicked :)

Its a 3 stage kit that I have, and that sounds a good idea tbh to do it over a couple week period especially deoending on the weather.

Once you have done it and completed it, when washing do u just snow foam then wash and dry and leave it ? Or I suppose you could use a detailing spray when drying it aswell couldnt you

3 stage will take a long time, where the paint isn't bad you might get away with stages 2/3 (ive had a look at the kit now)

once you are all done then the refining compound should leave the paint very clean

i would then wax/seal it

3 stage will take a long time, where the paint isn't bad you might get away with stages 2/3 (ive had a look at the kit now)

once you are all done then the refining compound should leave the paint very clean

i would then wax/seal it

So after ive use the 3 stages of the kit I should then wax it ??

yep... doesn't need to be immediately, but after 2/3 stages the paint will be uber clean, so its the best time to apply protection in form of wax/sealant

if time is tight i'd suggest a decent quick detailer, some of these have some level of coating in them, and would be good to remove any excess dust from the polishing

Reactions: Mike Rogers
I've just done the 1st stage with the same kit. It looks good, but has highlighted a lot of little scratches.

I'm considering getting someone to detail it for me, as it's taken me all day and I'm not sure when I'll get another day to myself.
aa6bae9b7e0354760d1682f65f73ba65.jpg
3db8725c5117d2cc1506a31512a3ac27.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I've just done the 1st stage with the same kit. It looks good, but has highlighted a lot of little scratches.

I'm considering getting someone to detail it for me, as it's taken me all day and I'm not sure when I'll get another day to myself.
aa6bae9b7e0354760d1682f65f73ba65.jpg
3db8725c5117d2cc1506a31512a3ac27.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Ahhh isit,

Well ive got to take my car back to the garage it come from to see the smart repair guy ad theres a few blemishes they have to sort out in the rear bumper, so if I notice anything else whiost doing mine I may point this out to them to try and get them to do it :)

yep... doesn't need to be immediately, but after 2/3 stages the paint will be uber clean, so its the best time to apply protection in form of wax/sealant

if time is tight i'd suggest a decent quick detailer, some of these have some level of coating in them, and would be good to remove any excess dust from the polishing

Hello mate,

Gonna split the car up like you said and do a few panels at a time untill the car is complete.

For the final stage after doing my 2-3 process with machine polish i was thinking of using a poor boys paste wax, hqve any opinions on this or think it would do the trick ?

http://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/finishing/car-wax/poorboys-natty-s-paste-wax-blue-8oz-236ml.html

My car is coated in carpro essence plus; it’s not that durable but I like cleaning my car often ;)