detailing virgin any help?

DaveA3

Audi A-Trizzle!
Reaction score
Hi All,

Ive had a look at the stickies and excuse my ignorance but damn im confused!

Im a novice so not looking to go mad on overly expensive products as its not a show car its my daily driver.

I want to restore the black to how it once was (looks dull atm) and get some products to lock in that glossy colour and keep on top of it generally.

all i did before was use turtlewax shampoo and wax n wash away with a sponge. Using my pressure washer beforehand.

Is there like a set i can use which has shampoo wax and polish all in?

i would also like a clay set and was thinking about the meguires set (comes with a quick detailer whatever that is?)

any help appreciated.

thanks a bunch!

How old is the car and what condition is the black paint.. Is the colour is dull like you stated, it may require alot more than elbow grease..

Hi dave. Right first thing would be to get a decent wash kit. Eg 2 buckets and a decent mitt. Washing I use megs hyperwash as I use it to foam and wash the car. Clay I ve used the megs kit. For slickness to paint I couldn't recommend the blackfire products enough. Polish and sealant are very easy to apply, cheapish and give a great wetness. This can be topped up with their own wax if you want to spend the money. Bare in mind that your final results will be limited by hand polishing as allowed to using a machine. However as you stated it's a daily driver and not a show car this should be acceptable.
Hope that helps bud. I completed a detail of my s3 with the mentionned products. Have a look at the results.
Rav

How old is the car and what condition is the black paint.. Is the colour is dull like you stated, it may require alot more than elbow grease..

well its black and doesnt look as shiny and new as my mates cupra which is 3 years younger. My car is a 2000. Its quite swirly and could use a deep polish or something. definately doesnt look as good as it should mate.

Hi dave. Right first thing would be to get a decent wash kit. Eg 2 buckets and a decent mitt. Washing I use megs hyperwash as I use it to foam and wash the car. Clay I ve used the megs kit. For slickness to paint I couldn't recommend the blackfire products enough. Polish and sealant are very easy to apply, cheapish and give a great wetness. This can be topped up with their own wax if you want to spend the money. Bare in mind that your final results will be limited by hand polishing as allowed to using a machine. However as you stated it's a daily driver and not a show car this should be acceptable.
Hope that helps bud. I completed a detail of my s3 with the mentionned products. Have a look at the results.
Rav

you got pics somewhere Rav? ill check it out. Ill have a look at those products and list them here to double check.

so a regular wash would just be wet, shampoo, dry then polish and sealant.

For my clay would the order would be wet, shampoo, dry, clay, quick detailer (part of meg kit) then poblish and sealant? or does the quick detailer have polish and sealant in it?

cheers chaps

is this lot overkill? lol

If so what could be swapped for cheaper or is not needed? cheers

thumb_vp_ph_neutral.jpg
Valet Pro - PH Neutral Snow Foam VALI1 £12.72
thumb_dodo_sourpower_500.jpg
Dodo Juice - Sour Power Shampoo 500ml DODE64 £11.02
thumb_eurow_mitt3.jpg
Eurow - Sheepskin Wash Mitt EURW1 £6.77
thumb_42waffle.jpg
Huge 38" x 28" Microfibre Drying Towel HUGD1 £8.47
thumb_dodo_born_slippy.jpg
Dodo Juice - Born Slippy 500ml 99 £11.83
thumb_meguiars_smoothSurface.jpg
Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit G1016 £20.38
thumb_scratchx.jpg
Meguiars Scratch X v2.0 G1030 £7.19
thumb_microfibreMitt.jpg
Microfibre Wash & Polish Mitt MICG1 £5.06
thumb_autoglym_ultra_deep.jpg
Autoglym - Ultra Deep Shine - 100% extra free! AGUDS £9.32
thumb_wax_pad.jpg
Foam Wax Applicator BPI-FWA-1 £1.06
thumb_nattys_blue.jpg
Poorboys Nattys Paste Wax Blue NAT54 £11.02

thumb_bilberry_wheel.jpg
Valet Pro - Bilberry Wheel Cleaner (1 litre) VALB7 £7.62

thumb_poorboys_wheel.jpg
Poorboys Wheel Sealant PPO8 £11.02

Subtotal: £130.24

VAT: £22.81

Good start to get you going. If funds allow do invest in a DA or see if any members around your way might be willing to give you a hand :)

... courious.... any one know what DA's are respectable and costings/websites?.. cheers

You can go to Polished Bliss who are one of the sponsers on here I think. Or Cleanyourcar.

I use both for my detailing needs.

whats a DA?

ive also been told to ditch the snow foam because i dont have a special lance on my pressure washer.

also to swap the poorboys wax to Collinite No. 476S - Super Doublecoat Auto Wax

and ditch the meguires clay kit and get Sonus Ultra Fine Clay refill with some dodo born slippy

DA is dual action polishing machine. It is the best way for a novice to learn about machine polishing with less risks compared to a rotary polisher.

If you have the money go get the lance attachment. Its around £50 but well worth the investment, makes washing a car fun and always a smile on my face :)

Poorboys wax vs Collinite means you will get better durabilty. The meguiers clay kit is a good starting point to claying. However with the refill and born slippy means you can save a few pennies that way :)

i ordered a DA today off ebay. only a cheap thing just hope it dont ruin my car lol

now to try and convice the old man to split the cost of these bits

It wont ruin your car if you read the guides produced by Polished Bliss.
Thats how I started and learnt via a scrap piece which helped loads. Good luck with the detail and keep us updated with a thread of you detailing away :)

The megs clay kit will be fine mate, it's all down to personal taste really. Yes, you do need a lance attachment for the snowfoam.

ok i bought a load of stuff new mitts drying cloths polishing cloths etc and some shampoo from halfords dont laugh (had that i want it now kinda urge good thing is its just shampoo no wax). and the following products

meguires clay kit

meguires stage 1 paint restorer
meguires stage 2 polish
meguires stage 3 wax

gonna give that lot a go n see what the results are. just gotta wait for my polisher n ill get going. ill update here with a thread!

cheers for all the support!

There is guides on how to clay, you will be fine as long as the surface you are claying is wet and lubricated.

Else ask for advice :)

if i'm doing a good clean normally once a month or so.

wash
wash mitt on auto glym shampoo
wash
clay
wash
meguiars step 1
meguiars step 2
chemical guys XXX hardcore paste wax

if i'm in a rush just wash then wax, this is what mine looks like after a quick wash and wax(my paint was crap when i first got the car)
40175_414851346518_515736518_4840148_7917505_n.jpg

If you ever unsure about anything your using, like someone said above, get a scrap bonnet or something for you to practice on.