Detailing the A3

hittchy

Reaction score
Following on from the discussion about wheel cleaning, I'm interested to know what plans everyone has for detailing their new A3.

I started last week removing the wheels. They had a good wash inside and out, Autosmart Tardis to remove any tar or road film and a coat of Chemical Guys Wheel Guard. I've also invested in some Iron-X for the next wheel cleaning round in 6 months time.

Next fine day the plans are:

Wash with Zaino Z-7 Show Car Wash
Dry with DoDo Juice Plush Towel
Autosmart Tardis to remove tar and film
Light clay with Sonus Ultra Fine and Meguiars Last Touch
Carlack Excellence Complete AIO cleaner and polish
Collinite 915
Autoglym Glass Polish
Megs tyre dressing

With the pressures of work and family, I've gone a bit lazy and it's got to fit inside 5 hrs twice a year now. However, being a brand new car it shouldn't need any more than this. I've only managed to get 200 miles on it so far.

If this lot doesn't get the required finish though, I'll have to invest in the Blackfire kit.
Blackfire Wet Ice Over Fire Kit | Show Winning Car Paint Protection Kit

Reactions: s33nyboy12
i was thinking of doing something to my new A3 i get on Monday, more on the lines of protection more than anything.
i have the werkstat kit, but might need to invest in some other stuff, thinking of iron-x, claying just takes too much time.

Deterring and removing contaminants is a vital part of protection/ finish of lsp but I still find that claying gives that ideal prep stage prior to polishing, even after removing tar and irons I still find traces on the clay bar albeit slight but this leaves the paint then feeling like glass.

I'd choose the finest clay you can for a new car. It does make a difference but it's also fairly easy to introduce marring into the paint if over zealous with standard clay. I've had this in the past and then had to spend time with a DA polisher. That's something I'd rather not have to do on a new car.

Usually the clay stage takes me about 45 mins. Spray plenty of last touch on the panel and give a light wipe over with the clay, then wipe of with a good microfibre.

Right guys I've had a go at cleaning my own car for once, posted in detailing section but just showing the people who gave me advice from this forum section how I got on, excuse the fact it's not an Audi but my new one gets delivered in 14 days......!

from detailing post:

Excuse the fact it's a mini but I wasn't prepared to practice on anything else incase I messed it up..... We are selling it so I wasn't too bothered if I did make a mistake. :)

so I hosed it first . Washed it with autoglym shampoo wash with a woollen MIT , jetted it off, leathered it dry, used Mercedes own brand wheel cleaner, sprayed it with demon shine and buffed it off with microfibres, then used turtle wax bumper and tyre shine, and finally autoglym glass cleaner on all glass and lights and mirrors. I know I need some proper detailing stuff but I was just trying it out so just used what I had, this is the first time I have washed a car properly myself and not just took it to the abandoned garage and paid £5er. Let me now what you think , any advice appreciated before I get my new Audi and let loose on that .

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums...0972E95-1433-00000194D6571166_zps1b0409c2.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums...7F55EF2-1433-00000179BE65498C_zps1957010c.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums...6BEB07D-1433-000001799A2F1AD1_zpsede8177a.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums...513E951-1433-00000179864BC99A_zps4b190031.jpg

Sean

thanks MIT , before anyone says I did take the wheels off to clean the arches...... No one has stolen my wheels lol

Sean

Glad you pointed that out bud. Thought those wheel thieves out your way were ex-pit stop lads getting in quick sharp and pinching your wheels as you were filling up your bucket!!

Looking good.

I can't wait to get cracking on my A3 but seem to be missing the weather. Whenever there's a tidy day I've got something else on. I was hoping for some sunshine this weekend but alas it's not to be.

Glad you pointed that out bud. Thought those wheel thieves out your way were ex-pit stop lads getting in quick sharp and pinching your wheels as you were filling up your bucket!!
LOL ,out my way , no actually it was closer your way mate at my work near ollerton Nottingham, I live in Nottingham city centre....... :)
I haven't showed pictures of the wheels as they could do with a refurb, didn't come up that well either but I tried , and got the inner arches looking mint.

Sean

Looking good.

I can't wait to get cracking on my A3 but seem to be missing the weather. Whenever there's a tidy day I've got something else on. I was hoping for some sunshine this weekend but alas it's not to be.

when I started it the sun was beaming , got a sunburnt nose and everything.... But 3 hours later as you can see on the pics the British weather let me down :-(

Sean

Reactions: hittchy