Detailing help.

Richard Appleyard

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm after a bit of advise. I've cleaned my car again today using my pre wash etc and doing all the correct steps. I've noticed I have a few tar splats on the bonnet and on the wheel arches so I'm wondering what is the best way to remove them. Thanks.

I used meguiars tar and bug and worked but to be honest i reckon any high street tar remover will work just as well. Maybe even a dab of white spirits?

Hi all. I'm after a bit of advise. I've cleaned my car again today using my pre wash etc and doing all the correct steps. I've noticed I have a few tar splats on the bonnet and on the wheel arches so I'm wondering what is the best way to remove them. Thanks.
@Richard Appleyard - Auto Finesse Oblitarate for the win IMO
£9 delivered here -
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/auto-finesse-oblitarate-cat6.html

PS This car Detailing malarchy is a subjective matter as you've probably realised by now lol

Thanks for your reply peeps. I've ordered ☝so will let you know. Just another quick question...... Clay bars. What is the use for them and are they any good?

Thanks for your reply peeps. I've ordered ☝so will let you know. Just another quick question...... Clay bars. What is the use for them and are they any good?

100% one of the best things you can do to a neglected car. Rub your hand over the paint and you will feel/hear lots of rough patches (amplifies it if you put your hand in a plastic bag), particularly low down by the wheel arches. A clay bar will lift all of this off and make the paint smooth as glass.

Tar removers and iron X are good products for helping the decontamination, but clay bar is always the way for me. Gets rid of other marks, oxidation and sap, as well as tar and iron. Those products just help remove the heavy stuff to reduce the chances of marring, but I tend to think it is inevitable you will leave some marks behind..even with the lightest clay bars (buy a good brand one, cheap ones are even worse...) and plenty of lubrication (either a quick detailer or just soapy water) I still get light marring and marks. I therefore only do a clay If I am prepared to do a light polish afterwards.

Maybe others will disagree, and some will say it depends how closely you are looking at the paintwork, but thats just my experience....I am a little on the extreme detail side...!

Reactions: AlexA4Avant, batch, mister.c. and 2 others
100% one of the best things you can do to a neglected car. Rub your hand over the paint and you will feel/hear lots of rough patches (amplifies it if you put your hand in a plastic bag), particularly low down by the wheel arches. A clay bar will lift all of this off and make the paint smooth as glass.

Tar removers and iron X are good products for helping the decontamination, but clay bar is always the way for me. Gets rid of other marks, oxidation and sap, as well as tar and iron. Those products just help remove the heavy stuff to reduce the chances of marring, but I tend to think it is inevitable you will leave some marks behind..even with the lightest clay bars (buy a good brand one, cheap ones are even worse...) and plenty of lubrication (either a quick detailer or just soapy water) I still get light marring and marks. I therefore only do a clay If I am prepared to do a light polish afterwards.

Maybe others will disagree, and some will say it depends how closely you are looking at the paintwork, but thats just my experience....I am a little on the extreme detail side...!
Very good advise.

The other thing to do is go on you tube and watch the vids on there, i have learnt quite a bit for there.

Great explanation by the Doc :thumbs up:

Whatever you use practice on either a place you cant easily see or better still some one else's car!

Always read the instructions carefully and follow them.

Claying will remove almost all contamination. Think your cars clean? You wont when you do small patch with clay. Its not a process to be carried out too often. Sadly its easy to make your paint worse without a little practice or knowledge, but plenty videos on the web.

Don't forget that using a tar remover or clay will remove anything that is on the paint. It's unwise to not replace some paint protection, preferably a wax or glaze, in general steer clear of polishes.

After the claying i would wash it again and do two coats of a good wax,do it twice a year job done.

I've just watched a few vids on the clay bar. It's amazing. You think the car is clean but oh no!!! What is a good brand of clay bar and how much should I expect to pay?

Top top advise guys. Thanks a lot!

Bilt Hamber stuff seems really good. I got some as part of a kit but I opted for the soft version. Quite glad I did as, even that was hard to mold at first until it warms up. Just use plenty of water with it. Most of the time I spray the water from a trigger bottle as I',m sweeping across the paintwork. I've used it two or three times and so far no excessive marring I can see. I do have a black car though, so I am particularly careful when using it. :)

Clay bars or mitts are amazing at lifting bonded contaminants from paintwork prior to a polish or paint cleanser going over the paint.

The only tip I have is plenty of lubrication, most use detailing sprays but over time if you do it regular can work out expensive, some guys use thick soapy water or even a layer of snow foam to lube it up.

Are clay mitts as good as a bar then? I don't understand the mitt? Daft question but is it made from clay?

Are clay mitts as good as a bar then? I don't understand the mitt? Daft question but is it made from clay?
Richard, IMHO, yes the mitt is as good as clay. Most of the big detailing manufacturers have them now. I just mentioned the G3 one as it's widely available and I have used it. I'm happy to recommend it to you. If you fancy going the clay route the Meguiar's Quik Clay Starter Kit is a good option. Again I have used this. As to what the mitt is made of I couldn't comment.

The major difference is the mitt is bigger so tends to be quicker. Also it's designed to be used again and again. Clay is done when you can no longer fold it to a clean side. Also if you drop clay, it must go in the bin immediately.

Have a look on YouTube as there are videos of both claying and the mitts in use.

If I were starting again I'd buy a mitt over the clay. I have young kids so time is always against me and the mitt is much quicker!

Reactions: Richard Appleyard
Great stuff. I think I'll go for a mitt and some soapy water!!! Are there any steps that's a must after using the mitt or is it a case of rewash and admire!!!

Anyone used a clay bar called Bilt Hamber. My mate says there pritty good and cheap.

Love a clay bar has anyone done there bath with it it's epic followed by a light polish with dodo lime prime on the da lol
Have also Clayed the oven door glass a joy

Reactions: batch and Richard Appleyard
Oh. And the most important bit with clay is lube lube and more lube can't have enough to help prevent marring

Reactions: Richard Appleyard