Depreciation between Saloon & Sportback

wab172uk

Now in an X3 M40i And a Yaris GR-Four
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is holding value better between an S3 Saloon and S3 Sportback?

Thinking about ordering an RS3 for April delivery. I bought an S3 saloon over the Sportback as I think the Saloon looks better. But I'm undecided with the RS3. The Sportback actually looks more sporty.

As an indication of what will be more desirable in the future (for future value) which is holding value better on the S3? Saloon or Sportback?

Don't listen to me cos I ain't got a clue but myself...I'd say saloon will hold value more as Rs3 has never been in a saloon variant before...
But it would be sportback for me!

I'd say, go for what you want. I wouldn't think the depreciation difference would be massive, so don't use that as a criteria

Reactions: Jassyo06
If you want sporty looking, it has to be the 3 door.

The difference between the 2 same spec S3's saloon and sportback in about £700 maybe £800 but there's too many variable given the used car market fluctuations,time of year colour etc.........

The RS3 Sportback looks better than the RS3 Saloon....Wider Arches...Hot Hatch look,RS3..its introduction was solely for Audi to sell the RS3 to ****,Middle East,OZ/NZ and North America.....Ps dont think or worry aboot £££ when buying this car right now.....just forget about such things and just do it....Simples...that's what buying such a car is all aboot...Ergo
If you want sporty looking, it has to be the 3 door.

Right....lol

Reactions: TDI-line and Audi Bairn
Does anyone know what is holding value better between an S3 Saloon and S3 Sportback?

Thinking about ordering an RS3 for April delivery. I bought an S3 saloon over the Sportback as I think the Saloon looks better. But I'm undecided with the RS3. The Sportback actually looks more sporty.

As an indication of what will be more desirable in the future (for future value) which is holding value better on the S3? Saloon or Sportback?

l really need to say this but....it is a stupid question mate....sorry

Reactions: TDI-line and Daveotto
Go and buy a Parkers guide. It shows 2nd hand prices.
A few seconds with a calculator should show which has the highest percent residual value.

Be interested to hear how it works out, for me the Saloon A3 looks a bit of an after thought conceived mainly for the US market. The fact that very few manufacturers sell small saloons in this country suggests there isnt massive demand here.

This ether makes the A3 saloon a desirable niche product that holds its price or like a brown BMW, a car forced on the dealer that gets sold off cheap becuase no one likes the colour.

I’m biased but the saloon is like dating your dream women and the hatchback versions are like being alone... :p

Reactions: MÖRK, Flying Scotsman and Audi Bairn
The saloon does not look like an afterthought to me at all.

If anything it is the sportsback (stupid name!) that is most out of proportion of the 3 variants.

Sorry, no offence intended.

Reactions: davc and Audi Bairn
I’m biased but the saloon is like dating your dream women and the hatchback versions are like being alone... :p

Not when it comes to the RS3...The Sportback has far wider front Arches....looks wider even though the track width is the same...just because the saloon has wider track to begin with...hence a ever so slight wider front wing arch on the RS Sedan
Go and buy a Parkers guide. It shows 2nd hand prices.
A few seconds with a calculator should show which has the highest percent residual value.

Be interested to hear how it works out, for me the Saloon A3 looks a bit of an after thought conceived mainly for the US market. The fact that very few manufacturers sell small saloons in this country suggests there isnt massive demand here.

This ether makes the A3 saloon a desirable niche product that holds its price or like a brown BMW, a car forced on the dealer that gets sold off cheap becuase no one likes the colour.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
?..............for me the Saloon A3 looks a bit of an after thought conceived mainly for the US market. The fact that very few manufacturers sell small saloons in this country suggests there isnt massive demand here.

We're all entitled to our views as we all have different tastes but I personally think the Saloon doesn't just look like a hatchback with a boot bolted on, just the opposite actually as it's quite an attractive **** end lol. Am I biased as I have one? Possibly.
Merc do the fugly CLA, BMW the 2 Series, VW the Jetta, so love them or hate them there are a few small Saloon options out there.

Reactions: davc and KenL
I will wade into the saloon vs hatchback design. Just my old fart opinion though. Hatchbacks and SUVs all suffer the same dilemma; they all look the same especially from the side and back views. A saloon or coupe design allows for more latitude as far as the overall look is concerned. Yes a hatchback and an SUV are way more practical but they are as boring as hell to look at and just finding yours at a shopping centre in a sea of lookalikes is interesting.
I will now get off my soapbox and await the :haudrauf:

Reactions: robps3, Jassyo06, mister.c. and 3 others
And you know what the definition is of Last Chance Saloon according to Collins English Dictionary:
... a situation considered to be the last opportunity for success ...
So it has to be the Sportback!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started the argument about appearance so let this be the last comment.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions: glospete
The saloon does not look like an afterthought to me at all.

If anything it is the sportsback (stupid name!) that is most out of proportion of the 3 variants.

Sorry, no offence intended.

Sportback.....and and none taken...lol

Way off Topic...prior to the MY17 Face lifted cars....each of the 3 variants... had there own rear led tail light design,kinda miss that....face lift cars have all the same rear led design nice as it is....just a wee bit of useless information....lol

Reactions: TYb, jungle650 and Audi Bairn