1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denso compressor leaking at body gasket!

rum4mo Aug 2, 2017

1. rum4mo

rum4mo Well-Known Member

Not an Audi, but a late 2009 SEAT Ibiza 1.4 SC with a BXW petrol engine, my daughter has owned this car from new, but has been working abroad for 4.5 years so I took it on while she was away, anyway, she is back and I've sold that car back to her at a good price. After a spot of warm/hot weather, I was told that the air con is hissing and needs some gas, well she got the "needs some gas" bit right, on examining it I discovered that the area around the pressure sensor was a bit oily and dirty, sniffing it revealed that it was passing R134a probably through the pressure sensor body, so I bought a new latest version pressure sensor and O-Ring seal and replaced it. While I was at it, I cleaned up any other oily looking areas using Gunk and left things to dry off before sniffing these areas. Initially I found a leak site at the over pressure disc area on the compressor body, so sprayed that area with a cleaner - washed it and gave it a couple of days for any solvents to disappear! Still detecting a leak, so used a leak spray on that area - and discovered that the leak was not at the over pressure disc but at the body gasket near there. That was a better result as at least I would not need to find why the over pressure disc had started to leak. So, it looks very much like I need to get that compressor replaced along with new seals and drier etc. One problem is, I can only find from aftermarket a 120ccm version of that compressor - the one SEAT, VW etc etc fit at factory is a 140ccm version - same body type, I'm thinking that using a smaller compressor will not cause much of a problem in Northern UK temperatures, is this correct. Also, has anyone else seen or heard about these Denso compressors leaking at the body gasket, car is obviously 8 years old, but I've owned 13 year old VWs in the recent past and one of them had a variable displacement Denso compressor that was still okay at 13 years?

Edit:- by the way, to date this car has never suffer any collision damage etc, so that leaking would not be the result of being in a crash situation.