1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Facelift Demisting on cold mornings

mangobay Nov 19, 2019

1. mangobay

mangobay Registered User

Ok not the most exciting of thread, granted....
    For those of you who daily drive your Facelift RS3s.....anyone found a good and effective way of quickly clearing the front windscreen? I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with mine, as if it is cold out and that cold air comes in to the car while kids are piling in...it takes about 3-5 mins to be able to see anything out of the window, and the "max" font wind setting makes it worse, not better.

thanks

hawesy25 likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. hawesy25

hawesy25 Registered User

Mine suffers from the same issue. Actually thought there was something wrong with it at first, as never had it with previous S models I’ve owned.

I unfortunately do not have a solution other than what you already do, sit there and wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mangobay likes this.
  4. replicant71

replicant71 Registered User

I get this too, very annoying. I've had it with my previous three Audis too, never with other brands! What makes it worse is when I first get in the car, sometimes it's not too bad, I then drive off and a few yards down the road, the inside of the windscreen completely mists up and I have to pull over as I literally can't see a thing!

I'd love to know any top tips to speed up the de-misting (other than wiping it with a cloth which I hate doing).

mangobay likes this.
  5. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon

I run a 500w electric fan heater on the rear seat, wired into a timer to come on an hr before I set of for work. No misting up or frost to remove.[​IMG]

teslaboy, mangobay and hawesy25 like this.
  6. hawesy25

hawesy25 Registered User

brilliant. That ought to do it!

Dan_DJT likes this.
  7. martin lo

martin lo Registered User

Annoying to me is that my wife's Fiesta has a heated windscreen that clears everything in a minute...surely other makes can take this up. My car is OK though as its nicely in the garage...

mangobay likes this.
  8. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon

I believe Ford own the patent for it and wont allow anyone except JLR to use it. I think it should be standard on all cars as its a good safety feature.

sve170 likes this.
  9. D0C

D0C Registered User

Those things have been known to set themselves on fire!

sve170 likes this.
  10. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon

Almost everyone in northern Sweden uses them (thats where I got the idea from) so confident that its ok. Been using it 4yrs now without issue.

D0C likes this.
  11. DannyRS3

DannyRS3 Registered User

Could always try some anti fog coating on the glass. I haven't found my RS3 to need it so far, but I imagine with a car full of kids with warm breath on a cold window its going to be an issue in most cars. CarPro UK makes something called fogfight which you can find on their website. It last a lot longer than rainX (about 3 months in my experience). Might be what you are looking for.

mangobay and hawesy25 like this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Matt2010

Matt2010 Registered User

My golf r was terrible for it and first day of proper cold weather in my PFL is just as bad.
    I've been through loads of cars and the VAG ones are without doubt the worst for demisting the windscreen.
    I do remember using some kind of anti misting coating on the golf which worked well so will try that again.

mangobay likes this.
  14. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Registered User

Other brands do have them, my wife’s Mini had it specced, and believe on VWs you can spec it too.

Audis not so, in at a dealer looking at an SQ2 for her the other month we mentioned heated front screen and the guy said you’ll never get one on an Audi.. :(

15. nad

nad Registered User

The patent actually expired over a decade ago and comes as standard/option on most VW range, including the Golf. The only Audi’s to have heated windscreen are the A7/A8 which is surprising as Audi love their optional EXTRA £££!! Even Vauxhall offer it across their entire range, mostly standard!

For a cheap and very effective way to keep the windows from misting, use silica gel packs, as found in the boxes that contain electronic equipment which absorb moisture when there is a lot of humidity, this will eliminate or at the very least reduce the misting of windows. You can keep them hidden under the footwell/side compartments and can be used over and over again. Good deal on them can be found here…

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/car-dehumidifier-bags-4

mangobay likes this.
  16. FBF01

FBF01 Registered User

Frost was shocking this morning, it was -4 to be fair! Took 10 minutes on max setting before I was able to drive off. The Golf R I had was rapid at defrosting the front windscreen in comparison I found

mangobay likes this.
  17. mangobay

mangobay Registered User

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I might try the silica gel packs or maybe one of those charcoal packs that do the same thing. And some anti fog juice.

It is annoying but I guess it's one area that reminds us an RS3 is just an A3 underneath. ..

18. H4RDYRS3

H4RDYRS3 Registered User

Mine was exactly the same, fitted a new pollon filter, and it's a lot better.

19. zaka7

zaka7 Registered User

It's terrible, but a couple of quick tips, Start the car with the door or window open to stop the moist air hitting the screen, have you air con on COLD as soon as you get in and then shut the door. just increase the temp by a degree every 30 secs and it starts to clear quicker.

You can also buy a spray to put on the windscreen (or shaving foam according to some sites) to line the screen and reduce it. It does only seem to be my Audis that do it!

hawesy25 likes this.
  20. hawesy25

hawesy25 Registered User

Find it hilarious how we are discussing how to de-mist a car with circa value of £40k by plugging in an electric heater or using shaving foam. When the same car has technology to send a text or make a call with just our voice haha

Serious note, good tips

Dan_DJT likes this.
  21. Drewsus

Drewsus Registered User

22. zaka7

zaka7 Registered User

So do I mate haha, my missus has a 2010 ford KA, I'll de ice my car and wait on the drive for ages, she just drives off with a clear screen, well annoying haha!

Dan_DJT and hawesy25 like this.